Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I Hate Playing Chords

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I Hate Playing Chords

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... if I had to do it right before I did anything I would never have done anything.
    Indeed, sir. This reminds me of something I deduced back in the old days, when I was urgently trying to get good enough to play with other people - not just for fun, but also to learn from them and improve my playing from this newly acquired knowledge. I devised a plan where, in order to get good, first I had to get good at "faking it." That is, find some riffs that were strong enough to impress better players, yet not be clichés, and enough of them so I could sit in the big guys' circle until it came my turn to play a lead, and acquit myself well for those few seconds. This did work well enough, and I was able to learn from listening to them and watching how they did it, and translate that into my own playing. Somewhere along the line, though, I began to wonder whether this "faking it" had instead evolved to be my own style, so to speak - if I had the gumption to call the way I was playing a style. I may never know the true answer to this conundrum. But at least I did overcome my self-doubt concerning perfecting my skill, which kept me from languishing in assumed imperfection.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

“We are what we repeatedly do“ is a quote most often attributed to Aristotle. Aside from the implication that practice makes perfect there is also the reality that, since we all undergo an experience that is unique to no one but ourself, each of us ultimately travels down a path that is entirely our own. Applied to the mandolin, we do not (cannot) play/sound like someone else…we have our own distinct sound and (unfortunately, since perfection is an illusion) proficiency level. I have NEVER tried to play note-for-note passages like someone else…everything is an adaptation of what I (after years of trial and error) can do. I play it like me! The moral of the story is play what you hear, feel and can do…have fun!

Yet, there is another aspect in music - that which compels others to engage in lifelong listening, emulation, endless experimentation, research and analysis, and what, for lack of less abstruse terms, constitutes art.

I like this old gem https://youtu.be/QwXAqIaUahI
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-19-2021 at 3:46pm.