Thread: Kerman style build

Default Kerman style build

After listening to Avi Avital and Jacob Reuven recordings last year, and liking their sound more and more, I decided to have a go at making an Arik Kerman style of mandolin based on all the information I could glean. I made a few cosmetic changes, like the slotted headstock and custom tailpiece. Also, the top of mine has an induced arch, whereas his I believe are completely flat. And I think the internal soundboard in the Kerman is only attached at a few points, whereas mine is attached to the rim most of the way around. There were plenty of things I had to guess, like the depth of the top chamber and the bracing of the top (I used Graham McDonald's H bracing, which seems to work well).

I didn't really know what to expect from the sound, since I had no model to go from, but after a couple of days strung up I think it might be my new favourite mandolin. A strong, clear sound with plenty of volume, pretty even across the strings, plays well up the neck. It doesn't have a lot of overtones. I suspect the internal thingamy reduces them and leaves a 'cleaner' sound (that seemed to be the case with Tavy's experiment making one with and one without).

Anyway, here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	568.3 KB 
ID:	184925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	625.7 KB 
ID:	184926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	184927  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	832.9 KB 
ID:	184928  

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tom.gibson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Kerman style build

Wow, Tom, this is gorgeous. Could you tell us what woods you used? Also, what was your rationale for attaching the internal soundboard differently from the Kerman model?

Wonderful job. I hope it gives you many years of pleasure. Thanks for sharing.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Thanks Bob. The back, sides and neck are Queensland Maple, the soundboards are European spruce and all the black is ebony.

As for the internal soundboard, I couldn't really picture how Kerman attached it (apparently at three points) so went with my gut and sealed up the top chamber except for two holes. If there was any rationale it was the (not very scientific) thought that a more enclosed top chamber might help the trebles, since the overall body size is pretty large. I don't know whether the Kerman internal soundboard is more lightly attached to make it more flexible, or whether it might be to stop it warping with humidity changes. Or some other reason... This shows how mine fits inside the inner rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59496066590__FE885595-A212-4E6C-9D3E-8A8EB033A987.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	670.5 KB 
ID:	184929  

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tom.gibson For This Useful Post:

I really enjoyed reading about how you built this... I’d love to hear a sound clip, and I’m sure I’m not the only one!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

I saw a video of another Kerman copy made by an Indian luthier. I started a thread about it with a video by Tapas Roy. I found the luthier posting on Facebook. Maybe I can get him here to discuss how he built his copy.

Tom's mandolin looks wonderful. So few of us have actually seen, let alone played, an actual Kerman mandolin but we hear them played by virtually every prominent Israeli mandolinist.

I assume,Tom, that you looked at this page on Jacob Reuven's site? Did you consult with Jacob at all do get some construction details?

BTW always find it hard to believe that any mandolin would have a completely flat top with that downward pressure that the strings necessitate. All bowlbacks and flattops that I know of (vintage and modern) have some induced arching to the tops—some are more induced than others.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-12-2020 at 10:42am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I did look a lot at Jacob Reuven's site, Jim, but didn't think to contact him. I will if I make another.

The fact that the Kermans have a wedge under the fingerboard to provide the right neck angle suggests that the tops are quite flat, at least longitudinally, but you might be right.

Strange coincidence to have two threads on Kerman copies at the same time!

I like how it looks like an A style body nestled inside a bigger mandolin.
    Looking forward to a sound clip. Or even a comparison with your German bowlback!

Side question - are you playing in an orchestra at the moment Tom?

The mandolin looks beautiful, Tom. I think the slotted headstock fits the design even better than the orginal. How did you make the back? The Kermans seem to have a strongly arched back and I always asked myself if itīs even carved. There are some examples of ached back / flat top instruments which I find very interesting.