Thread: Hi, I'm new to this

Default Hi, I'm new to this

Hi. I've been following Mandolin Cafe for a while from Australia and decided that it's time to join up! I started learning the Mandolin about three months ago and absolutely love it.A lovely friend is teaching me. I have a restored German mandolin and am learning Medieval music which is all chords and just downward strumming. I'm trying to teach myself some modern songs as well (not my teacher's thing). I have never learned an instrument before and am looking for a book that shows how to read strum patterns as I don't know how to interpret tabs or music notation as far as strumming goes, or can someone out there advise on how to interpret. I've looked at endless videos, but most are too fast to see what they're doing, or don't show their right hand at all (I wont worry about the real fancy stuff). I'll never be fast, as I have an amount of arthritis in two left first finger joints, so just having fun and joining in with friends and maybe playing a bit for family will keep me happy, especially now that the world has gone mad.
    Much appreciated Bron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	184966

2. The following members say thank you to Bron S for this post:

Default Re: Hi, I'm new to this

sounds like you need to just take the time to just get started and learn as you go. There are many resources online and in print on strumming patterns and how to read tablature. If you spend time regularly practicing. The "interpretations" will become "Ah-Ha" moments for you. Don't put walls in front of yourself by telling yourself you cannot do something...just start trying to do it and soon enough you will find that you are in fact doing it.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

4. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

Tony S 

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I tend to go a bit berserk and expect miracles overnight. Bit impatient methinks!

Thank you. Mando Lessons definitely break everything down into understandable bites. I'll check out more of the lessons. 😊

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

For a good overall introduction to mandolin in general (which is really what you're asking, as you're NOT specifically pursuing, say, bluegrass or jazz or classical), it's hard to beat Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies".
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Thankyou Ed. I've seen that book around. I'll look into it. I love many styles, bluegrass, rock, medieval. They are all so different and all use very different techniques. My first hurdle is to get my fingers around an F chord! (bane of my life at the moment, but I guess, 8 lessons and 3 months in, I have a long way to Go)

Hi, It's been a long time since I've been on here....The world has changed significantly.
    Thankyou Ed for your suggestion re Mandolin for Dummies. I bought a copy and yes, it's very good. I've also been looking at heaps of online lessons.....still a long long way to go but I can now hold my own in a group setting with others playing recorders, violin, hurdy gurdy, tenor guitar etc. 10 months of lessons down and still having a ball. Still not going so well on the modern stuff though.
    The mandolin bug has definitely hit me though....Just bought an Eastman MD315 which is very different to the old German one. (I wanted a fancier one but choice is VERY limited in Australia at the moment, especially in South Australia).I love it all the same.

You bought a good mandolin Bron. There is nothing wrong with your choice. It should serve you well. There is also nothing wrong with having limited choice as well.
    Nic Gellie

13. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Bron S 

Haul away, you rolling king!

I don't have advice for you, but welcome aboard. You'll find that people here are extremely helpful.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

15. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Bron S 

Hi Bron, good to see a fellow Australian mandolin player here! There is great mandolin community in Australia though we are fairly widely dispersed.
    I think there may be a mandolin ensemble being formed in Adelaide - covid may have interupted it - link is www.mandolaide.com
    Mandolaide

I play in the Sydney Mandolin Orchestra and am also starting a beginner friendly community mandolin orchestra in Bega, NSW. These types of groups are usually welcoming, fun and a great way to improve your skills while making music.

We also have some brilliant mandolin builders in Au who are very highly regarded. Check out Gilchrist ($$$!) and the wonderful Coombe oval hole mandolins.

17. The following members say thank you to Dean Gray for this post:

Bron S 

Wow, I'm amazed at the great advice that I'm being given from all over... I've taken note of the Australian info. Thank you. (I'm also not very adept at navigating the mandolin cafe page, so just working out how to read a reply is a plus for me. No idea how to add profile pictures, comments at the bottom etc) Bron

19. The following members say thank you to Bron S for this post:

Bron, your story is that of so many of us who have found the Cafe and signed up then have realised what an amazing online community it is. I have been a member now for just over 11 years, and am a regular on the SAW group, posting tunes there to share with other like-minded folk. It was because of the Cafe that I began posting tunes on YouTube. Whatever level you reach, and whatever music you play, you will find that the mandolin will occupy a great deal of your time in a pleasurable way, and you will constantly be surprising yourself with new things you have just managed for the first time, and new tunes you thought you could never get your fingers around. You mention that videos you have watched are often too fast. If they are on YouTube there is a facility there to slow down the videos while watching them. This might be of help to you.
    You have in the MC a fund of great knowledge from so mnay different people, all willing to give you their time and advice and always in an encouraging way. Have fun, and all the best from a cold, wet Scotland!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10,000 hours.

Just like everything else.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bron S View Post
    Thankyou Ed. I've seen that book around. I'll look into it. I love many styles, bluegrass, rock, medieval. They are all so different and all use very different techniques. My first hurdle is to get my fingers around an F chord! (bane of my life at the moment, but I guess, 8 lessons and 3 months in, I have a long way to Go)
    There are many "cheat" chords, that will do the job under certain circumstances. I cheat all the time when not playing solo in an ensemble. I figure I am not responsible for every darn note in the chords, and the guitar likely is playing that note anyway. And especially if the chords go by quickly.

So I do a lot of three and even two finger chords, where I just don't bother to strum the open strings.

I am not encouraging that you cheat. But I am encouraging you not to lose heart, there is plenty you could be doing now to play and be part of everything, and enjoy that mandolin immensely, while in your own time you figure out that damn F chord.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

There's so many nice people here. A bit humbling really. I seem to be sorting that F... Next project Cmaj7!
    Found an issue with the setup on my Eastman. When I bought it and it was retuned for me, one of the E strings broke and was replaced with one not exactly the same, so I can't fret the F or F# without a lit of work. My daughter who plays guitar also had trouble. Had it looked at last week by my local Luthier and the verdict is...... Setup is rubbish!... So off it goes tomorrow for an overhaul. Dilemma is deciding if to stay with the Medium strings or go to down to Lights (which my other one has as its an old one).I don't want to lose the full sound that it has. Bron
    Still having a great time!

Hi Bron welcome aboard mate! Regarding your possible string choice on the Eastman I switched all my mandos from medium to medium light about 10 years ago. I currently use GHS strings but I'm not necessarily endorsing them over others. I found the lighter strings were easier on my aging hands and allowed for a lighter touch. My main mando Ratliff R5 actually seemed more responsive and balanced. When you get the Eastman properly set up be sure they put a new set of strings whatever your choice is. My guess is your luthier thinks that would go without saying. Don't be afraid to try different brands and gauge strings until you find what you like.
    With your beautiful German instrument I would be very reluctant to use anything but light gauge strings IMHO.
    Enjoy the ride!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

26. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Bron S 

Welcome aboard ! Members are very helpful here ! A lot of different opinions however !

Welcome to MC, Bron. Lots of friendly folk here!
    Here are some strum patterns (from ukulele) -though like many of us you’ll soon be wanting to play melodies.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/azxteznalg...0TABS.pdf?dl=0

Some advice I’d give is always, always practice with a drum machine or metronome, always slow enough to not make any mistakes, at all. (1 mistake is 20 steps back)
    And play clean, always think about tone.
    There’s a Beginners Social group here on MC too, nice motivating people. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=76

Good luck!

Hi. Yep, my German Mando has GHS light strings on it!
    Just picked up the Eastman... Had a totally new setup down and is so much easier to play. The Luthier said that it was basically unplayable before. Can't believe I didn't have it looked at sooner, but I've only had it since late October.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

For your long-term sanity:

1 - Most strings are cheap. Don't commit to buying the expensive, long-lasting ones until you've developed your own preference, based on your own ears & fingers.
    2 - Strings break with regularity, especially the unwound ones and especially early on. I've never regretted buying an extra A & E string, or two, with each full set.
    3 - Learning to change strings AND to set intonation are essential skills for mandolinists, the sooner the better. Become familiar with Frets.com.
    4 - Most strings are cheap -worth saying twice- so experiment freely. That will leave you with a bunch of used but still-good strings, for the inevitable emergency.

While not essential, a mandolin-sized string winder (crank-like thingy) can be a big help. Plus a small electronic tuner, for setting intonation and, ya know, tuning.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Those Gilchrist mandolins are pretty nice. Saw Andrew McClermont playing his a couple of weeks ago.... Just a tad out of my price range though haha

Thank you for the info. I've taken note of Fret. Com

Cool mandolin!