Thread: Jazz Mandolin Appetizers -- original tune names

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Jazz Mandolin Appetizers -- original tune names

I recently purchased the excellent Jazz Mandolin Appetizers

https://www.melbay.com/Products/2202...ppetizers.aspx

and am really enjoying working on it. Don Stiernberg has organized this as his interpretation of common jazz progressions, to which he's given original and somewhat whimsical names, with hints in the description of the original tunes on which the progressions are based. I have not been able to figure out any of the original tunes -- I'd like to listen to them to "feel" the progressions. So, I would appreciate it if any of you could enlighten me.

Lima Bean Gumbo
    Freddie
    Minor (and Major) Swing -- well, this one I do know
    Savannah Stomp
    Porterhouse
    Bibim Bop
    Nectarine
    Illiana
    Big Chief Wauconda
    Chord Melody #2 “Ballad”
    Chord Melody #3 “After a Rain”
    Chord Melody #4 “Swing”
    “Jazzberry Blossom” -- this is obvious also

Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to swampstomper for this post:

Default Re: Jazz Mandolin Appetizers -- original tune names

Lady Be Good
    Swinging Back(Freddie Green/Count Basie Orchestra)
    Minor Swing with circle of fifths bridge
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To(Cole Porter)
    The Masquerade Is Over(Allie Wrubel, Herb Magidson)look for recordings by Nancy Wilson/Cannonbal Adderley, Joe Pass, Chet Baker
    Tangerine
    Back Home Again In Indiana
    Cherokee
    Chord Melody #2 "Ballad", while a rather typical progression, is not based on a specific tune. Stiernberg original
    Chord Melody #3 "After A Rain" contains tiny references to Nuages, maybe just one actually. Stiernberg original
    Chord Melody #4 "Swing" Stiernberg original

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much Don!! And especially thanks for putting this together. Although I listen to jazz all morning every morning on WBGO Newark I am not enough of an expert to figure out your clever clues. I will put together a Spotify playlist of these original tunes to burn into my brain.

LBG Lima Bean Gumbo = Lady Be Good... I should have gotten this one.

Savannah is in Georgia... yes that was your clue... now I really feel stupid!

Illinois/Indiana.... cute.

I bought Don's Jazz Mandolin Appetizers a couple of years ago and find them a great practice resource. I had figured out that Savannah Stomp was an alternate melody for Sweet Georgia Brown (SGB), and use some of the phrases from it when my trio does play SGB. Sure beats playing scales over and over.

There are quite a few good notes in these tunes! Dusted my copy off again last night!

I bought this before I knew a thing about playing jazz/swing. It was helpful but a little over my head at the time. Now that I know one or two things about playing it I need to go back to it.
    Don's Soundslice classes are awesome too and have helped a lot along with a couple of great camp classes.
    Thanks for posting the tunes Don!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

thanks all,
    it occurred to me that those of you interested in Appetizers may want to check out the Soundslice courses. In many ways they are extensions of the same concept:
    Swing Chords and Progressions works on rhythm playing with known progressions. Crafting Jazzier Solo Lines is about making spontaneous melodies in common harmonic situations and includes sample solos on familiar forms. Chord Melody Etudes are original melodies arranged for chord-melody style, again based on standard and jazz harmonic forms. Rhythm &Repertoire is like Swing Chords Volume 2, but focused on actual tunes, no funny names. Thanks for taking a look if you get a chance.

Thanks Don, great minds (?) think alike. Last week I bought the Soundslice rhythm course and I am working through it in parallel to the Appetizers. The Appetizers have cool lead lines but just chord names with no information on what might be good voicings -- and I didn't know how to get some chords, although I could spell out the notes and find them on the fretboard, putting them into a reasonable chord was not always obvious. So I bought the soundslice course and it answers most of my questions. One suggestion for the future would be to put the interval name under the string where it's played. You call them out often, e.g., "3rd in the bass", "root on top" but it costs me some time to identify all the tones... it's good practice but then I don't have my notations (on paper) on the soundslice screen.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I’m still calling it “Lima Bean Gumbo”

Blog Entries

I would instantly buy the sheet music for Don's original tunes. I can play "Life Itself" but would like the other tunes laid out. He can offer them as single items, or in a larger book with the recorded solos transcribed.

While I admire the familiar old tunes I am much more likely to listen to and learn new, original jazz.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

13. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post: