Thread: Time for a New Tapastring Vintage Jack Thread?

Default Time for a New Tapastring Vintage Jack Thread?

Before the COVID hit the fan, I bought a sweet barely used 2017 Martin HD28. Like most all my other instruments I wanted to add an internal pickup. Unlike all the others I didn't want to drill into the tail block.

So I picked up this Tapastring Vintage Jack from Blue Star Music. Installed easily, however, I did hand-ream the tapered hole for a better fit as the vintage jack is just a little bit bigger than the original Martin end pin.

I used the included right angle plug to modify an exiting 1/4" cable. I used a trusty JJB PPS-200 stuck to the bridge plate with blu-tack putty.

So far, the fit, looks and sound are all great, with no change to the unplugged tone and no permanent mod to the guitar.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Time for a New Tapastring Vintage Jack Thread?

FWIW, Pro Co has a cable with one end 1/4" and the other 1/8".

Was thinking of using one of those for my Flatiron. Currently has a Barcus Berry jack in it. Will wait until I can take it in. Don't want to do this one myself.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I bought the reamer years ago for the full size endpin jacks but the next time I add one to a guitar it will be the Tapastring. I like the idea better.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I have a couple, I line them in vintage or quality instruments. I prefer to make my own cords as I can get better jacks than on a premade one. I also carry a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter in my case should the cord fail and I need to use any guitar cord available. Not likely as I carry a couple of cords make up in case of failure also. I usually like to be prepared.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

As I recall they offer a right angle 1/8" with a 1/4" female .. so securing your strap to the tailpiece, so it wont pop off the button,
    @ the same fix this short adapter to the strap.. acting as a strain relief for the thin plug ..

Should be able to unplug it from the button to fit Mandolin in the case ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I simply loop the cord thru the strap before plugging in. It can't pull the plug out if it gets pulled, it will simply pull against the strap.

OK, [I just use the 1/4" TRS (Schertler) so I'm not involved in the issue]..
    not that I get any gigs... gear for its own sake..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    As I recall they offer a right angle 1/8" with a 1/4" female .. so securing your strap to the tailpiece, so it wont pop off the button,
    @ the same fix this short adapter to the strap.. acting as a strain relief for the thin plug ..

Should be able to unplug it from the button to fit Mandolin in the case ..
    Just reread this, the tapastring jack is a 1/8" female with a 1/8" male plug on the cord.

I'm a fan of the Tapastring jack too

I have been thinking about a similar set-up in a H&D 000 or Martin OM, except with a JJB 330. Given the current situation, might need to do the install myself. How does the blu-tac instead of super glue work? How did you handle connecting the leads from the pickup to the jack (which I think inserts from outside rather than the inside like the usual endpin jack)?

I think the putty will give a warmer sound, but if you are performing and play in sun I don't trust it. The leads need to be soldered. You could simply twist them together for temporary use, and have someone solder them later. They would need to be wrapped so they can't touch each other, tape or shrink wrap. Yes the jack inserts from the outside and comes with leads that attach to the pickup leads.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I think the putty will give a warmer sound, but if you are performing and play in sun I don't trust it. The leads need to be soldered. You could simply twist them together for temporary use, and have someone solder them later. They would need to be wrapped so they can't touch each other, tape or shrink wrap. Yes the jack inserts from the outside and comes with leads that attach to the pickup leads.
    Ah, hadn't thought about sun heating the putty. Could be a bit embarrassing . . ..

Will have to think through the wiring. Would have to pull enough wire through so that the soldering can be done >outside< the guitar, and then may have some slack that will have to be dealt with inside.

Thanks for your insight.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

No need to worry about putty melting in the sun. I’ve installed these pickups with putty in over 20 instruments. I play bluegrass festivals and farmers markets in temperatures ranging to 100 F, direct sun, for the past 10 years plus. Never had a problem.

As far as connecting the jack to the pickup, the pickup goes in the sound hole with putty on the transducer heads. The pre-tinned leads go out the tail block hole. The trimmed and tinned jack leads get soldered to the pickup leads and insulated with heat shrink. Then the jack gets inserted. Last the transducer heads are mounted.

It’s easy ina guitar, little more of a challenge in a fiddle or f-hole mando.