Thread: Adding mass back to a neck?

Default Adding mass back to a neck?

This may sound way out in left field. But I bet some of the veterans here have discussed this. If a neck is to small, can wood be grafted back to it and reshaped?

Default Re: Adding mass back to a neck?

Yes, if you want more mass, rout out where the truss rod is and add in a solid steel rod.

If you're just wanting to make the neck thicker or deeper, I think you may want to start over with a new neck blank.

I may have used a wrong term. No not weight or mass. Was wondering about gluing wood on to make it thicker/deeper? And reshaping. Has it been done? Thx.

If this is an existing, finished instrument, the cost to do this is going to be more than many mandolins are worth. If it's a mandolin worth more than $2,000, the negative impact on the instrument's value would make it a bad idea (in terms of value, anyway... of course you can do whatever you want to get the musical tool that works for you.)

But sure, you could cut the neck down to a trapezoid, and then build a precisely machined tapered trapezoid shell that ties right to that new mating surface. Or maybe make two tapered edges, scarf on two sides, plane the center flat, then round it all out like a coopered/segmented bowl. More glue joints, more potential points of eventual failure, and an absolute nightmare to blend in to the surrounding finish.

If you're looking for people to do this.... can I be the first to say... Not it! ;-) The general advice for stuff like this on here is, sure, it can be done. But better off to save up that stimulus check and hire someone to make you exactly what you want, or buy one already made to the specs you're interested in.

5. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

And then to go even further out: Plaster cast the whole neck, making a negative, Carve a block to this pattern. Or: trace the neck with a CNC and use it to carve a negative into a block. Then carve the block as desired.
    Or, as we do things here in the bondo-over-the-holes world, glass the whole thing up and paint it.
    Substitute carbon fiber for glass and ....