Thread: I'm looking for a $200-$250 Mandolin.

Default I'm looking for a $200-$250 Mandolin.

Beginner here, I'm looking to spend $200-250 on a good playing and sounding mandolin. It can be used. I just want something with good action and a good sound.. Please send some links. I'll check them out.
    Just don't know what mando to buy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm looking for a $200-$250 Mandolin.

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit Commerce to the Classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-21-2020 at 5:08am.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

3. The following members say thank you to Mike Romkey for this post:

RobP 

Welcome! You may get more bites on the “Looking for Information About Mandolins” thread. For sound, look for something with all solid woods. Regarding playability, mandolins in that price range are all over the map. Maybe try to grab a used Kentucky or Eastman for $200 then budget $50 to have a repair person do a very basic setup. Even new stuff in the price range can need a proper setup to get the action right.

Default Mandolin

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the Classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-21-2020 at 5:09am.

Just a note. There's a reason there is a PM function and the Classifieds. Carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I don't believe you're going to find a used Eastman at that price. A used older entry-level Kentucky is possible, such as (just for example purposes) this one I found just now on ebay:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Saga-Musical...MAAOSwaXNennLi

You'll be looking at pressed-top mandolins, possibly laminate but if you're lucky a solid top. I think it is very important for it to be well set up; an instrument that's hard to play can be very discouraging. Put decent strings on it. You probably should hope for acceptable rather than 'good' sound for the present. It'll still be easy to fall in love with playing mandolin.

Looking around some more I did find this one, which makes me think that perhaps a somewhat better instrument is possible. I have no personal experience with Loar brand:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Loar-LM-...sAAOSwSzRZVWU1
    Cary Fagan

Contact Dennis at The Mandolin Store and see what he has or can find, or check with Elderly Instruments, or any of the other Cafe sponsors. That way you’ll be sure to get a mandolin that’s well set up, which is the most important factor at this price point...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Giving away a mandolin is commerce? Duly noted.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    And again, there's a reason there is a PM function.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    As of today, Mike, paying someone to take your crude oil away is commerce! (Minus $38/barrel !!). No wonder I’m not rich.

I bought a used Epiphone A model with a built-in pickup and solid top off of Craigslist last year for $80. It plays and sounds fine, especially plugged, which is what I bought it for.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Blog Entries

If you're a beginner, you don't know that you're going to like mandolin. (I say this because I bought a classical guitar and months of lessons before I decided that while I liked to listen to classical guitar, I didn't really like playing it.) More importantly, you don't know that you're going to actually play it, because life is busy and there's always more things to do than there is time. So spending as little money as possible is the way to go. Save your pennies now, and as you're learning, and then spend them later when you've decided that you're an addict. But even then: buy used.

To minimize the money you spend, you want to buy used. Get the best used mandolin money can buy, try to get a case or gig bag along with it, and don't forget that you're going to need an electronic tuner.

I have a non-name cheap, bonded-top P.O.S. that I bought for $40, changed the strings, did my own set up, and have used for years. It's not my principal mandolin by any means ... not even my second or third ... but it sits in my office for long conference calls and it goes with me when I go camping. It ain't pretty, but it's OK.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

@Mike Romkey again, thanks so much. Please view my email I just sent you.

Lot's of good advice here so far. I agree that a used instrument can be a great way to go if you can find the right deal, and whatever you get make sure it's set up so it's playable.

For a new mando at about $200 I was recently surprised by a Recording King RAM-3-TS Dirty 30s A-Style Mandolin. (I sent you a PM with a link to the one I played.) It's what Cary described as a pressed top, and is laminates. Especially considering all that, I thought the one I played felt and sounded quite nice. Best of luck with your search, and enjoy playing it!