Thread: My Levin Mandolin, Master Model 42 from 1955

Default My Levin Mandolin, Master Model 42 from 1955

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum from more than a year, when the mandolin bug bite me.
    I've been playing guitar for more than 20 years but I wanted to try other string instruments, and decided to buy a mandolin.

My first mandolin was a Kentucky KM-140 that served me well for some month, but then I spotted a very well priced Levin Mandolin though reverb in Sweden and decided to try as there wasn't a big expense and read about the story of the brand and how well crafted instruments they did.

So when the mandolin came I was quite glad that I found a beautiful mandolin that also had a more detailed and rich sound that my current Kentucky mandolin, also there was in good state regarding frets, I suspect they were replaced at some point, and the neck angle was straight, in fact, I had to raise the action as I found that it sounded so much better.

The only strange thing is that the bridge was glued at some point, fourtunately is well intonated, so no big dead at the moment.

The mandolin shows a lot of scars, so I suppose it was played a lot, but no cracks at all or structural issues, so "natural relic" all the way.

This is are some photos of the mandolin.

Also can be heard in this video I did along with my Martin guitar, it's from some months ago, I hope my tremolo technnique has improve in this time.

Hope you like my mandolin and give your comments about it, I really like it and as is quite difficult to try mandolins here at spain I cannot compare so much, but I think it sounds great.

Regards.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alvarogomez For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My Levin Mandolin, Master Model 42 from 1955

Very nice playing!

Love those mahogany Martins. The Levin has a pleasant tone.

Your tremolo sounds absolutely wonderful. There are many players who would be jealous of your skillful tremoloing,trembling.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70416 For This Useful Post:

Nice job, Alvaro! I like your Levin. We rarely see them here in the states.

Lovely song, where is it from?

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Hi, thanks for you nice comments, I will try to post more videos with the Levin in the future.

The song is clothes of sand by Nick Drake, one of my favourite songs of him, and one of the most accessible ones to play, he has very tricky tunings and fingerpicking patterns.

Have a nice day!

7. The following members say thank you to alvarogomez for this post:

I enjoyed your clip. The Levins from the forties and fifties are really sweet. I envy you that acquisition.

Really nice, Alvaro-the Levin, the Martin and your tremolo all sound great. I love the tune!

Saludos desde la Costa Brava!!

Nice playing and sound !!