Thread: the Loar VS Eastman VS Kentucky

Default the Loar VS Eastman VS Kentucky

when comparing company's on similar level mandolins are there any significant differences in terms of build quality, tonal differences, quality control and build materials, neck profiles and nut widths? i am searching for a mandolin and cant get out to stores to try them out giving the coronavirus

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: the Loar VS Eastman VS Kentucky

The short answer is yes. The Eastman line typically gets higher marks for build quality on their lower end instruments and are regarded as more modern in playability (with radiused fretboards) and tone. Kentucky mandolins, by contrast, are noted more for their traditional sound and feel.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Question Re: the Loar VS Eastman VS Kentucky

And there is variation in the production run.. a friend managing the local music shop
    got to visit Eastman Import Warehouse , tried a dozen , in person,
    then had them ship the one he liked best..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Loar LM-600 that I have was good out of the box. There are some small finish issues, like less-than-smooth sanding in the scroll and under the fretboard extension, but I kinda expect that in a mandolin that sells for under $1000.00.
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

while I don't have a ton to compare it to, the LM600 I received plays well, though the factory set up wasn't much to be desired...i'd suggest that regardless of the three, get it set up well, and there are a number of sponsors here that will set them up prior to sending them out!

I've recently purchased a Kentucky KM-755 off eBay, and if I have anything negative to say, its as PDMan noted above, kinda sloppy finish in the scroll and under the fretboard extention. Mine is used and not sure if I am 2nd or more owner out. New to mandolin (guitar player), so trying to feel my way through this. It was recommended by a former teacher that Kentucky was one of a better "Pacific Rim" makers, so I stuck to that when looking. Plays very well, but then, not sure I know anything...

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Only one brand listed offers a limited lifetime warranty on their instruments. What does that suggest?

FWIW, when I first saw the Eastmans, I thought "meh." Nowadays, I pick up the MD-515 way more regularly than my Rigel A. Yeah, I am surprised as well.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I’ve always been partial to Kentucky. I like their tone and volume. I’ve owned at least four, and they’ve all been consistently good. Ive owned a couple Eastmans. They were ok, but the tone is different to my ear. Never owned a The Loar, because I never played one that impressed me. Just my opinion. YMMV.

I'll add my thoughts for anyone looking back over this thread for advice. I've owned The Loar LM-310F and a couple of Eastmans, including the base model MD315. The Eastman blew The Loar out of the water, which looked like plastic (laminate sides and back), had no body to the sound, and lost all volume on the A and E strings. Even the bottom-of-the-line Eastman MD315 sounded, felt, and looked practically professional compared to it. Unless you have no aspirations to do anything with the mandolin other than strum a few chords and pick a few basic tunes, I would stay away from The Loar. I've heard tales of radically varied quality and overly thick lacquer (a big no) which adds to my own bad experience.
    Kentucky - I have no direct experience with them. Their sound seems good, accounting for personal tastes of course. However, I've never liked their look, especially on the lower end models. Also, as you get into their high end, it's difficult to justify the difference in price from Eastman's high end. Listening to tone samples, I find no appreciable difference in actual quality, and I can't see how the build quality of the Eastman line could be that radically improved. For me, it's Eastman over any other "budget" models. The recent significant vote of confidence they received through Bourgeois choosing to partner with them says a lot.

Selling retailer do set up?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I disagree that The Loar is on the same level as Eastman/Kentucky. And IMO low tier Eastmans are superior to low tier Kentuckys.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I’ll chime in to say that The Loar is a very different company now than it was when Greg Rich was involved. I played a LM 700 back in the day (like 2008 or 2009) at Harry West’s shop that was an excellent mandolin. Everything I’ve played recently of theirs has been since their corporate reshuffling and lower tier instruments that were nothing like that older 700.

I’ve owned a Kentucky 675-S and an Eastman 315. Between my two the Eastman was far superior in build quality and tone, but it was a 2015 build and the Kentucky was an early 2000s built right after they moved production to China and were still ironing out kinks, so it’s not really a fair comparison.

I’ve moved up the food chain a bit, but if I were buying one of these today I’d probably work out a trip to Nashville so I could compare. If I had to buy without trying I’d go Eastman based on my experience. I do agree that Eastman has a more modern Collings-esque tone and Kentucky more traditional, but they both vary a lot between individual instruments.

Ordering online has that problem - auditioning them in person allows you to form your own 'Best' opinion....
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I think it’s unfair to compare The Loars very lowest model (with laminate b/s, as you mentioned) to all solid wood mandolins. You should compare The Loar LM5xx, LM6xx, or LM7xx.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post: