Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick and inexpensive way to try the tenor guitar

Default A quick and inexpensive way to try the tenor guitar

Hello all. Though certainly not a high quality instrument, but perhaps a cheap inexpensive way to try our the tenor guitar. While I have no experience with this exact product, I have tried their ukulele's and they weren't the worse out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-Guitar-...ts&sr=1-2&th=1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsfloyd For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A quick and inexpensive way to try the tenor guitar

Good deal indeed, with bag and (Hamer reminiscent) strap included. 21.4" scale should be pretty versatile.
    Blow on, man.

I'm going to pick one up and see how it is.
    $63 on ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Tenor...-/193237796929

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

In the U.K. too, you could not buy the parts for that price!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kmise-Bar...d4fHq#shpCntId

6. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    In the U.K. too, you could not buy the parts for that price!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kmise-Bar...d4fHq#shpCntId
    Hard to believe that it will be any good at such a low price, but the reviews I've seen are positive. One reviewer says he likes it better than his Ibanez tenor.
    Looks to be of all laminate construction. No surprise at that price. Looks about the same size as the Pono small body OM short-scale and small body Tenor guitar/uke. At 1/16th the price, I'm not expecting much from it compared to my Pono OM. Could still be fun though.
    I'll report back next week.

8. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

fox 

Thumbs up Re: A quick and inexpensive way to try the tenor guitar

Got one a few weeks back for my ten-year-old. Fit, finish and fret work are very good. The frets are not very tall which causes a problem for me to get proper intonation - it seems I really have to press on the fretboard to get the notes right.

It's about the same size as a baritone ukulele. Smaller bodied so it doesn't have a lot of volume. I have an all mahogany Harmony baritone ukulele from the 50s that is much louder.

Saw a couple of YouTube videos about it - very positively reviewed.

Sorry, but it doesn't compare to an Ibanez or a Kala though. That being said at around $60 I believe it's well worth it.

Got mine from eBay and made an offer so I didn't pay the full price.

Ibanez, Kala, Harmony, Kmise, and Harmony uke for size comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_170812.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	985.0 KB 
ID:	185348

10. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

fox 

I like this (from Amazon listing):

D'Addario GUITAR STRINGS: Equipped advanced D'Addario strings, and luthiers pre-tune the tenor guitar at a lower action before we ship it to ensure you can touch the strings easier. Offer Life Time Free String Replace.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Appears to be a pretty good deal. I would guess it started life as a baritone uke based on the seller, but that's no different than the Kala.

It does have an adjustable truss rod and what looks to be a solid mahogany top so there's no reason why it couldn't be a player. Especially at that price.

Name:	KmiseTopTrussRod.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	185350
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I guess don’t expect too much from it and you won’t be let down.

I was about to pull the plug on a Kala tenor guitar with coupon code and they went out of stock the same evening. Was considering holding off for one of the RK Dirty 30’s tenor when I seen this pop up on Amazon. Obviously the tenor guitar might be making more of a come back.

I often wonder who writes the adverts though -

“Adjustable Fretboard - Come with 1 original Allen wrench which can help you adjust the action freely based on your habit. Turn Clockwise loosen strings and turn anticlockwise tighten strings.”

and -

“Soft D'Addario String - Bring tenor guitar the bright and penetrating tone.we also pre-tune the guitar at a lower action.The tunability of the strings allows the performer to play a variety of repertoire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Appears to be a pretty good deal. I would guess it started life as a baritone uke based on the seller, but that's no different than the Kala.

It does have an adjustable truss rod and what looks to be a solid mahogany top so there's no reason why it couldn't be a player. Especially at that price.

Name:	KmiseTopTrussRod.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	185350
    Doesn’t look like a solid top to me! Looks more like mahogany veneered somethingorother to me.

I bought one a few weeks ago for $50.00(Ebay). It is all laminate. The neck is very wide for a tenor guitar. 36mm (29 string to string). Think tenor/baritone ukulele.
    Tuned in fourths (Chicago) it's fine; Tuned in Fifths some chords are a bit of a stretch.
    In comparison, my Fender Tele Tenor is 31mm at the nut with a 21mm string space.

The saddle is compensated. It looks like it is from a High G ukulele so the intonation is not great. 12 cents sharp on the C string (tuned cgda).
    The other strings are 5 cents ish sharp. A straight saddle should help a lot. I just haven't gotten to it.

The nut is decently cut and the action is 3 mm at the 12th fret.

That being said, the build quality is very good. I am more than happy at this price point.
    Please remember...this is my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Doesn’t look like a solid top to me! Looks more like mahogany veneered somethingorother to me.
    I just took a closer look and you're right, it's laminate.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I often wonder who writes the adverts though -
    A person for whom English is a second language.

This is a Chinese company.

I’m glad to see someone has tried this. I considered buying one just to get the gig bag, which I think would fit my Regal tenor. (Can anyone confirm that it would fit? Anyone with a Kmise and a 20s Regal 21” tenor?) I’ve seen a few sound samples on YouTube but the audio quality wasn’t great. Would love to see another video with decent sound!

Quote Originally Posted by mreidsma View Post
    I considered buying one just to get the gig bag, which I think would fit my Regal tenor. Can anyone confirm that it would fit? Anyone with a Kmise and a 20s Regal 21”
    I doubt it will fit.

Here are the dimensions:

About 31 in long, lower bout about 10 3/4, upper bout about 7 3/4 in. My 21.5" Kala does not fit in it.

Here's a $16.15 alternative, probably the same size:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Barit...k/163061463310

Good luck,
    Huck

Just an additional thought, but anyone entertaining the thought of buying one of these should probably look at it more as a steel string baritone ukulele more so than a tenor guitar - size wise.

22. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

The 1920's Regal is about 31.5" long, so I don't think I'll take a chance, especially for a gig bag. The price (plus a "free" baritone uke/tenor guitar beats the Martin Size 5 case, though!)

Thanks, Huck!

Mredsma - For a 20s Regal tenor, I just got a Kala Sonoma Coast gig bag (really nice and protective) for about $60 and it is a snug but good fit in every direction. To me, a perfect house for my 20s Regal that you may well recognize .
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

25. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

Kmise Tenor Guitar Review, DEMO and SIDE BY SIDE Comparison to Kmise Baritone Uke: Mari Calfa-DePaul

I got a Kmise tenor guitar and tuned it to GDAE. I love it. Check out a recording of it at:
    https://youtu.be/1CLKR4AOTAU

Picking up an old thread but I just got one of these steel string baris...I only have inexpensive instruments but this one is decent. Compares favorably with my Oscar Schmidt nylon string bari...Found no significant flaws, fret ends need a little attention but not bad, slight rough spot on the side of neck just under the headstock, I'll change the strings but the stock ones are ok, tuned it DGBE...adjusted the truss rod and now the action at the 12th fret low D is about 2.25mm. Sound is a bit tight but I think with some playing hours it will open up some, even for laminate. Simple but good looking appearance and the case is pretty good, they use a slightly higher density foam inside of the soft cloth interior and pseudo canvas exterior...I paid full Amazon price after making a decent offer on one on Ebay and the seller counter offered $1.00 off his price, kind of annoyed me and made me not trust the guy so I just went to Amazon and bought it, I still think the uke/tenor guitar with case is worth it so I'll keep it...fun little instrument, I may tune it CGDA later or change the strings and nut for GDAE.

29. The following members say thank you to mguy42 for this post:

Every time I've cheaped out on an instrument I've regretted it and returned or sold it shortly after. I understand the temptation to get into a new instrument or tuning on the more affordable side of things, but IMO you're more likely to stick with a stringed instrument in the solid top, laminate B&S $300 - $500-ish range. Just my opinion as a guy who hates dealing with instruments that won't intonate well or go out of tune constantly.

You can find a BR-40T for $400-$450 if you're a little patient, or a Kala tenor guitar (my understanding is they're better for CGDA than GDAE) for $200-ish.

31. The following members say thank you to subby13 for this post:

fox 

May I necro-post? Did anyone buy it and is it still working or just a toy. Looking at the Amazon description it's not clear what tuning it is and if it's meant for nylon or steel strings.

I may have missed it but what is the scale length? Looks more like a steel string baritone ukulele than a tenor guitar to me. I know that is a fine line.
    Dave Schneider