Thread: Banjo Mandolin

Default Banjo Mandolin

Hello,

I recently started playing ukelele and mandolin and a lady friend gave me this beautiful instrument called a Lenora, it looks old maybe 20’s or 30’s, a friend of mine speculates. That is believable to me.
    I have to have a tuning peg repaired and because this seems to be kind of old, I would like to put age correct parts upon it. My problem is I can’t find the brand.. It says Lenora on the headstock and SOO Brand Roberts Tanneries, Columbus, Ohio on the sound head..
    I hope that you may able to guide me to a resource where I could discover where I may find a part.
    Perhaps I should just swap out all the tuners with some decent antique ones?
    I would like to keep it as close to the way I received it as possible, and I can’t wait to play it! I’ll post pictures of her soon as I learn how.
    I will thank you in advance for your reply.

Kindly,

Hank

Default Re: Banjo Mandolin

I assume it's this instrument, or one just like it, to which you're referring? The "Roberts Tanneries" label on the head refers to the company that manufactured just the head. Tanneries often were associated with production of calfskin banjo heads (one reason that banjo and drum manufacture often sprang up in cities that had livestock processing plants as well).

I also enjoyed this part of the Shop Goodwill description: This item was previously a floor demo gown so there may be slight use, missing beads, rhinestones, dirt residue on bottom, small stains ect. Is yours missing any beads or rhinestones? Afraid that the website used language intended for ladies' gowns rather than mandolin-banjos...!

Jake Wildwood here states that "Lenora" was a Gretsch-made brand name in the 1920's. You might contact him and see if he has a source of "period" mandolin or mandolin-banjo tuners. The other strategy that's worked for me in the past is to visit a dealer in your area who handles "vintage" instruments, and has a repair or restoration shop. These dealers often have a "junk drawer" where they throw tuners, bridges, tailpieces etc. taken off instruments that weren't repaired or restored. You might find a set of mandolin tuners of that vintage. Be sure to take the instrument along to ensure that the tuners you find will fit the hole spacing in the headstock.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you kindly, Mr. Hopkins! That is the one, I’ve done a lot of googlin’ on Lenora, ain’t much of her there.. I intend to do my best to get the right tuners on her.... and if I can find any rhinestones along the way/ why not!
    Appreciate the feedback, be well!

4. The following members say thank you to Hankchinaski for this post:

I get the subtle Bukowski reference.. from Barfly ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture