Thread: Setup a mandolin

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Setup a mandolin

*EDIT* autocorrect changed setup to stupid. I can’t change it*

I have two Epiphones - an mm50e and an mm40l. I just spent the money and got the 40 professionally set up. I’ve always loved it but, my goodness. It plays like nothing else. It’s now a top of the line instrument. It had a fret dress, it’s nut was cut, and the saddle was cut. Upper fret access is as good as my solid body. I can play fast runs. And high ones.

I don’t have any point to this except I’m really excited. It’s like having a new 5000 dollar mandolin.

It’s worth either setting it up yourself, if you can - rob meldrum’s book is invaluable - or getting it done. And I put it off. Budget the money or the time when you get it.

I know I’m not saying anything groundbreaking but I feel like I did when I bought it.
    Last edited by David Lewis; May-01-2020 at 7:38am. Reason: Trying to change title
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

2. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Setup a mandolin

If you're editing a post you have 3 hours to correct the title by going to Advanced Editing after you click Edit Post.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Nothing quite like the feeling of when it all comes together. Can you advise who did the setup?

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gop View Post
    Nothing quite like the feeling of when it all comes together. Can you advise who did the setup?
    LES rankin. He’s based in Bexley in Sydney.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

7. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Gop