Thread: My first split screen video: Splendid Isolation.Process explained

Default My first split screen video: Splendid Isolation.Process explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jE...ature=youtu.be

I did this video with my daughter, Leah. She recorded her part in Vermont, mine was recorded in Virginia. The tune is Splendid Isolation, written by Brendan McGlinchy, who sadly just passed away.

Here’s how we did it: Leah played her fiddle part first, and videoed it on her iPhone, and sent the video to me. I played the video on one iPad and used ear buds to listen, and played along, making a separate video on another iPad. Once I had the two videos, I imported both of them into the iMovie application on our iMac computer, onto one iMovie project. It was then a matter of aligning the two videos so that they were in synch with each other. I cropped both videos so that each one started and ended where I wanted it to, and there are functions on the iMovie app where I could split the screen, do fade in and fade out, add ending credits, and adjust the volume of each component video separately.

After all that, it was just a matter of uploading the completed iMovie project to YouTube, where I gave the video a title and a separate end screen video. I uploaded it at WTJU where I have a radio show..the internet there is through UVA, and super fast...the combined videos created quite a large file.

Leah just used the built in mic on her iPhone..I have a device called an iRig Pre, which allows me to plug an external mic into my iPad which vastly improved the sound quality on my video.

One thing I learned was that four potatoes, or a count at the beginning would have helped a lot, and we’ll do that with subsequent videos...there will be more, and hopefully we’ll get better!

Hope you all like it,
    Pete

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mando Mafia For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My first split screen video: Splendid Isolation.Process expla

Very nice. LOL, I was half expecting the Warren Zevon tune.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Great tune, Pete, and a fine duet. Your description of how you achieved this creation is detailed and really interesting. I have done audio collaborations over on the SAW group with Ginny Aitchison in Ontario (I am in rural Scotland). Ginny emails me her tracks and I add backing or harmony at home here using REAPER to create the final mix. Either Ginny or I will then add visual material and creat a video for posting on the SAW group via YouTube. We have not yet attempted what you have done, and I know that my broadband is nowhere near the speed to make this feasible.
    Thanks for posting.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Very nice. LOL, I was half expecting the Warren Zevon tune.
    Thanks, A-board! Funny, I wasn’t aware of the Warren Zevon tune till I put this up on YouTube!
    Pete

Blog Entries

Nice! Good job. Hopefully iMovie has a “synch to audio” function like Final Cut.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Great tune, Pete, and a fine duet. Your description of how you achieved this creation is detailed and really interesting. I have done audio collaborations over on the SAW group with Ginny Aitchison in Ontario (I am in rural Scotland). Ginny emails me her tracks and I add backing or harmony at home here using REAPER to create the final mix. Either Ginny or I will then add visual material and creat a video for posting on the SAW group via YouTube. We have not yet attempted what you have done, and I know that my broadband is nowhere near the speed to make this feasible.
    Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, John.
    I’m not familiar with the SAW group...care to enlighten me?
    My home internet is pretty slow also...my ISP only seems to be interested in extracting a monthly fee, not providing good service.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    Nice! Good job. Hopefully iMovie has a “synch to audio” function like Final Cut.
    Thanks, Mike! I’ll have to look into that on the next one we do.

Pete

Hello, MM. The SAW group is the Song-A-Week Group. It can be accessed by going to the "Learn/Listen" button, clicking on that then on the submenu click on "Social Groups" and you will find the Song-A-Week there. The idea was for members to vote on a tune weekly then make their own video recording of the tune. It is a very successful group over several years, coordinated by Barbara Schultz. Very active at the moment and you will enjoy having a look and indeed maybe posting there too.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Hello, MM. The SAW group is the Song-A-Week Group. It can be accessed by going to the "Learn/Listen" button, clicking on that then on the submenu click on "Social Groups" and you will find the Song-A-Week there. The idea was for members to vote on a tune weekly then make their own video recording of the tune. It is a very successful group over several years, coordinated by Barbara Schultz. Very active at the moment and you will enjoy having a look and indeed maybe posting there too.
    Thanks, John. I checked it out and it looks quite interesting. I see their latest tune to learn is Julia Delaney...Mando Mafia recorded that tune on one of our cassettes(remember them??), Take Two, back in the day...great tune!

Pete

Hi Pete. I should have said that there are the official tunes of the week (now fortnightly after well over 500 weeks) and other tunes - ones the posters select themselves and put up, and often others of us will then have a go at that tune. At the moment probably a lot more of our own selections, and Simon has a quest to get 100 tunes up on the site before 9th of May. It is a birthday project, if I remember. He is at the moment on 99.

It is also a very supportive group, as you will see from the many comments

Acapella app is an easy way to do this sort of video.

Nice job, Pete and Leah!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    Acapella app is an easy way to do this sort of video.
    Thanks, Tim...I’ll check it out.
    Pete

Thanks, Mike. It’s a fun way of staying connected in these strange times.
    Pete

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

The name of the tune seems to be made for Corona times
    I missed out on this in May, glad I saw it rush past this time around. These long-distance collaborations have a comforting effect.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The name of the tune seems to be made for Corona times
    I missed out on this in May, glad I saw it rush past this time around. These long-distance collaborations have a comforting effect.
    Glad you caught it too, Bertram! After the coronavirus emerged, this tune became quite a hit on the Session (trad Irish music site on the web). The sad irony is that Brendan McGlinchy, who wrote the tune, recently passed away.

Pete