Thread: Information on Alfredo Privitera Catania?

Default Information on Alfredo Privitera Catania?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C71BFBB-2E4B-4AD1-AC65-12A5D09E5674.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	186939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C71BFBB-2E4B-4AD1-AC65-12A5D09E5674.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	186939

In my search for a playable bowl back mandolin (being a novice!) I’ve come across this mandolin. The maker is Alfredo Privitera (Catania) Sicily. The issue that I’ve been kindly advised of from you all is playability on old bowl backs. This appears to be a ‘new’ or recently manufactured model but I can’t find any info on the maker. Anybody have any experience? They’re asking 400 for it (with hard case) and I’m tempted. It’s not near to me so I can’t test it unfortunately, however it is well within budget.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C1C3029-6D5C-4318-9867-6936114106F2.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	186940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B3D2C00-C969-42BD-9C5A-D480F2FA1765.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	186941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	581B22A4-1CCE-4A88-A60F-9E74874A39CE.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	186942  

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Information on Alfredo Privitera Catania?

Ciao, Franco

Ecco un link ad una precedente conversazione sui mandolini di Signore Privitera.

Preferisco il Calace ma non sono i miei soldi.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

Wish I could get one of these.

For the past month, I've been over dozens of Italian and American websites, trying to obtain a nice specimen of a new or newish Alfredo Privitera. Most of my messages to Italian sellers (who still have a few instruments to sell) do not ship to the US, and one told me that maestro Privitera has closed his shop. Perhaps he retired, and perhaps this was the last of a once-thriving mandolin building scene in Catania.

I believe most of the current generation of instruments were "beginner" level, maybe a bit better. I hoped to buy one because of sentimental attachment to the maternal grandparents I never knew, who emigrated from Termini Imerese in the 1890s.

I will remain on the lookout for a new or hardly used Privitera, but his ending production will make that an ever shrinking possibility.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Are you fixed on a Privitera, Diego?
    I realize it is more difficult these days to ship to the US from the UK or the continent, but some sellers do...at least if you are willing to go the Ebay route.
    As we've discussed here for years, that can be a dicey way to go, but with all the seasoned eyes here, vetting something isn't quite as risky as it might otherwise seem.
    Contacting our good friend, John Maddock, who repairs and restores Italian bowlbacks down Cornwall way is another option.
    He goes by Tavy, here, and while we haven't seen him in a bit, I'll bet he's still active and does superb work and is quite knowledgeable about bowlbacks in general.
    It might take a bit of time, but you'll find something you like if you are patient and keep your eyes wide.
    Keep us posted on your search.
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig