Thread: action at the nut and chords

Default action at the nut and chords

Hi to all,
    I,m new to the forum and to the mandolin. I hope that a few of you can advise me about setting up my mandolin. When folks talk about the action measured at the nut it normally talks about .012 for the G and D string and .010 for the A and E string at the 1st fret.
    Is this measurement taken using the 3rd fret test (holding down the string at the 3rd fret and measuring the gap between the 1st fret and the bottom of the string or the gap between the 1st fret and the bottom om the string with the string open. (not pressed at the 3rd fret.

I've been able to adjust everything else (4/64th at the 12th fret and intonation, also a fret level) but could use any tips or suggestions on getting the nut adjusted correctly.

Also any recommendations for playing an Em or Am chord?

Thanks to all in advance and stay healthy!
    dad roadie

Default Re: action at the nut and chords

am-223, 577, x235

em-022, 457, x223
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm hoping some folks may also be able to also get some help with the action at the nut question.
    Do I have this posted in the wrong section of the forum?
    I'm brand new to the forum.
    regards
    dad roadie

It is with the string open

Fret the string at the 3rd fret and look at the clearance at the 1st fret. File the nut until it just clears the first fret when fretting at the 3rd. That will get you in the ballpark with any measuring. I like to go a little lower, but it will depend on your playing style and strings. A little lower may only be a file stroke or two away from too low.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

When I ran my repair shop I used capo on 3rd fret and for a mandolin made the string slots on the nut for .002" clearance at 1st fret and .004" for an acoustic guitar. Make sure that the slots ramp back from fretboard edge of the nut to avoid intonation problems. This is not what others may do but I found it worked consistently for me. IMHO
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Is there an advantage to measuring at the 1st fret with the strings depressed at the 3rd fret - as opposed to just measuring at the 1st fret without depressing the string? In Rob Meldrum's popular setup booklet, he recommends an ideal 1st fret E&A distance as .011. Just wondering if they are two different approaches that yield the same results. Seems to me that it would be easier and more accurate to discern the larger value of .011 as .002 is practically too small a distance for accuracy with a feeler gauge.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...hlight=meldrum

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Is there an advantage to measuring at the 1st fret with the strings depressed at the 3rd fret ...
    Yes, in this amateur's opinion. The difference is that a 1st-fret measurement is unlikely to be influenced by happenings further up the neck such as relief, which is largely controlled (on most modern instruments) by the trussrod but may also change w/ seasonal temperature and/or humidity. IMHO, most 12th-fret measurements allow for some amount of seasonal variation while a 1st-fret measurement, from fretted at 3rd, is unlikely to change at all.

Rather than an actual metal feeler gauge, some might use paper or, personally, eyeball, with +3.25 reading glasses!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quite a few ideas on how to get there but the goal is the same, an easy playing instrument. Looking at an instrument with a zero fret there would be no gap when pushing the string down at the 3rd fret as the frets are all the same height. So a nut slot could be at the instruments fret height. The reason I used a gap of .002" was in case the nut material wore a bit over time. And yes it is easy to use a .002" feeler gage as .012" or.011". You can feel that .001" difference with practice.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Thanks to everyone that helped me understand this better. It is truly appreciated!
    All the Best!
    dad roadie