Thread: Set up question- intonation on the D string

Default Set up question- intonation on the D string

Hey guys,

I've played mandolin on and off but am now really into it since beginning playing a great sounding american breedlove kf.

From bridge positioning I am able to get good intonation on the G, A, and E strings but the D is pulling sharp up the neck.

Is this something that will require a new / differently compensated bridge, or would a tweak from an experienced mando tech get this sorted?

What do you think would be the best route to go to systematically optimize intonation?

Default Re: Set up question- intonation on the D string

The peak of the D on the bridge needs to be filed back closer to the tail. This assumes you're OK on the lower frets - if not, the nut slots might be too high, and I'd get those right first before working on the bridge.

3. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Put a capo on 1st fret. Tune up for Ab,Eb,Bb and F low to high strings. Is intonation OK now? then the problem is in the nut. Maybe the D strings not noting at the front edge of the nut, maybe slots too high ?.
    If the intonation problem still exists the problem is in the bridge.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

5. The following members say thank you to rockies for this post:

Thanks both!

I did the capo thing, and the D string was still pulling sharp so i filed a tiny tiny bit off the fingerboard facing side. Definitely helped! I think I can get it square on if I go slow enough.

As a second thought are you sure the saddle was on the bridge base oriented properly. There are some threads showing proper orientation of he saddle. Sometimes causes problems like yours. I should have thought of it before.!!
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

8. The following members say thank you to rockies for this post:

It's very common for mandolin bridges to be compensated with the D strings too far forward. If there's room you can file that ramp back, or if not you might try angling the whole bass side of the bridge back, to split the difference between the D and G strings.

10. The following members say thank you to amowry for this post: