Thread: Classical Mandolin Videos

Default Classical Mandolin Videos

Hey everyone,

My name is Jordan and I have been a frequent visitor to the cafe for about as long as I can remember. I run the Mandolin department at a shop in Lexington Massachusetts called The Music Emporium and am by all counts a super nerd. I have decided to take all this time at home to tackle some of the tougher classical pieces on Mando and thought I would share them with you. If there is anyone else out there doing this kind of stuff feel free to add to the pile

This first piece I am stumbling through is the first movement of a solo violin sonata titled "Obsession" written by Eugene Ysaye. The story I heard is that after seeing a performance of Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas, Eugene was inspired to write his own Sonata about playing Bach's Sonatas. Meta, I know. The piece references the Bach E major prelude note for note all over the place, and the second re occurring theme is the almost comically placed "Dies Irae" (the Gregorian chant for The Day of Judgement). I will post more videos as I finish the pieces, I hope you enjoy this one!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to santjo24 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Classical Mandolin Videos

And here is the second movement!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to santjo24 For This Useful Post:

Groovy. I love Ysa˙e's sonatas . . . especially because I don't feel obliged to play them. Exhausting. Congratulations for this fine effort.

Amazing playing, Jordon. Good to see you here. I had already commented on the first movement video, and shared it on a classical-guitar forum, though those guys can't take the unique sound of the mandolin! But keep up the great work you are doing!

Well done, thanks.

Hi all!

Here is a short video with a Prelude composed by the German born violinist Thomas Baltzar, a musician who, from 1655 till his death in 1663, enjoyed great fame in England. Enjoy the sound of the Mandolino Cremonese (also called the Mandolino Bresciano) build in 2013 by the Milan based Luthier Lorenzo Lippi. Best greetings, Alex.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

This is already an awesome, awesome thread - thanks for starting!!!!!
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Sep-20-2020 at 6:02pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)