Thread: Charles brunover mando music

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

I have been trying to convince my bosses (the grownups I call them) to let me write an article on the history of Wisconsin's mandolin orchestras, and while doing a little research to strengthen my case I came across some solo mandolin pieces written by Charles Brunover. Brunover wrote "All the Rage" which of course was recorded by the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble.

Attached is a jpeg of one of the four pieces I found. If anyone is interested, I have a pdf of four pieces by Brunover that I can email to you. The file size is too large to post here. If anyone has some ideas on how to reduce the file size, I'm all ears (and slightly technically challenged when it comes to making pdfs).

-John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brunover1.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	21181  
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

John,

I have a question you might be able to help me with. My friend Joe Burch in Louisville has sent me a copy of a 15 page partial list of music belonging to the Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra. One of the fields in the database is "Collection Source" and it looks to me like nearly half of the pieces listed came from the Sioux City Mandolin Orchestra.

Living in Iowa these days (albeit 6 or 7 hours away from Sioux City) I wonder if you have any idea how this music travelled from western Iowa to eastern Wisconsin? Or maybe Linda is lurking here and knows the answer?

John G.

John Z:
    I did find at least one folio of Mr. Brunover's. This one dates from 1912-13 and is entitled Brunover's Miniature Masterpieces for Mandolin: A Collection of 14 Haunting Melodies in the duo style by the World's Greatest Composer of easy Mandolin Solos.

I posted them on the top of the list on my old tunes page.

They are, for the most part, definitely of the parlor music variety.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jgoodin @ Jan. 31 2007, 20:41)
    John,

I have a question you might be able to help me with. My friend Joe Burch in Louisville has sent me a copy of a 15 page partial list of music belonging to the Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra. One of the fields in the database is "Collection Source" and it looks to me like nearly half of the pieces listed came from the Sioux City Mandolin Orchestra.

Living in Iowa these days (albeit 6 or 7 hours away from Sioux City) I wonder if you have any idea how this music travelled from western Iowa to eastern Wisconsin? Or maybe Linda is lurking here and knows the answer?

John G.
    I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head, but I may be able to find out. There is a masters thesis in the UW music archives detailing the history of the MMO, and maybe the answer lurks there. I believe William Stahl published music for the mandolin in Milwaukee around the time that the MMO began, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the pieces from the Sioux City Mandolin Orchestra. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Jan. 31 2007, 20:59)
    John Z:
    I did find at least one folio of Mr. Brunover's. This one dates from 1912-13 and is entitled Brunover's Miniature Masterpieces for Mandolin: A Collection of 14 Haunting Melodies in the duo style by the World's Greatest Composer of easy Mandolin Solos.

I posted them on the top of the list on my old tunes page.

They are, for the most part, definitely of the parlor music variety.

Jim
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the pieces. It seems like Brunover may have lived in Wisconsin. The pieces on your site were published in Milwaukee and the pieces I found were published in Appleton, and they were dedicated to Wisconsinites.

I don't want to betray my ignorance too much, but could you explain what would make something parlor music?

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

The folio I have was published by William Stahl who was in Milwaukee. My comment about the parlor sound was purely subjective. It sounds to me like turn-of-the-last-century parlor music -- light, pleasant and relatively easy to play. I don't have the musical technical know-how to explain what makes it so, just that it sounds that way to me.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Jan. 31 2007, 22:27)
    The folio I have was published by William Stahl who was in Milwaukee. My comment about the parlo sound was purely subjective. It sounds to me like turn-of-the-last-century parlor music -- light, pleasant and relatively easy to play. I don't have the musical technical know-how to explain what makes it so, just that it sounds that way to me.

Jim
    I didn't mean to grill you-I was just curious. Thanks for the answer-it sounds reasonable to me.

-John Z.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (Buckley @ Feb. 01 2007, 08:05)
    I didn't mean to grill you-I was just curious. Thanks for the answer-it sounds reasonable to me.
    John:
    I didn't feel like you were grilling me. Like any genre, I suppose there are clues to the categorization. I can't put my finger on them. One thing I know is that when I play this type of music, I can sort of predict where it will go at any given point, since I have been there before.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi!
    I'm getting behind in my lurking. #The masters thesis you mentioned is by Paul Ruppa who is also the director of the Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra. #The MMO has lots of music, much of it not even catalogued yet. #Much of it came from the collections of other orchestras that are now defunct. Paul's a great guy and I'm sure would be happy to answer mandolin orch. history questions. #You can email him at: paul@milmando.org
    --Linda

Quote Originally Posted by (Hrimaly @ Feb. 01 2007, 16:14)
    Hi!
    I'm getting behind in my lurking. #The masters thesis you mentioned is by Paul Ruppa who is also the director of the Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra. #The MMO has lots of music, much of it not even catalogued yet. #Much of it came from the collections of other orchestras that are now defunct. Paul's a great guy and I'm sure would be happy to answer mandolin orch. history questions. #You can email him at: paul@milmando.org
    --Linda
    Hi Linda,

Thanks for Mr. Ruppa's email address. I have actually read his thesis and was really amazed at all of the information he collected. If the grown ups give me the go ahead to write the article I'm guessing Mr. Ruppa will be a great resource.

-JohnZ.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Default Re: Charles brunover mando music

I just found this thread when searching for "All The Rage" and Brunover. I'm looking for a Mandobass and or Bass part for All The Rage March & One Step. The other parts I have have a copyright MCMXV by Wm C Stahl, Milwaukee Wis. I'm looking for a published part. I have a piano part & could come up with a bass part from that.

Thanks.

Michael Reichenbach

Default Re: Charles brunover mando music

Have you seen my page: Mills Music Library
    I have a PDF oaf All the Rage there.
    Maybe you can make a bass part from the piano part.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

13. The following members say thank you to mandoisland for this post: