Thread: Can anyone please share some thoughts on the Eastman MD515CC?

Default Can anyone please share some thoughts on the Eastman MD515CC?

Hi friends!

I've been waiting to be able to upgrade for a couple of years now and after carefully reading tons of post here on the cafe about mandolins in the "around $1000 price range", I've decided to go for an Eastman and probably the Eastman MD515CC, even though that particular one is hardly ever mentioned here (Im guessing that's due to it being similar to the MD515 which is often reviewed) Considering that all I've ever played is an old Hofner 545, I'm quite sure a new world of joy will open for me whatever I choose to go for

I've gathered that the consensus here is you might get more instrument for the buck choosing an A style, but well what can I say... I really really want an F style and I just love the lines and finish on the MD515CC.
    Just figured I'd check with you guys if anyone has had any experience with, or general thoughts on the Eastman MD515CC before placing the order?

Any advice would as always be much appreciated

Default Re: Can anyone please share some thoughts on the Eastman MD515CC?

I think the only difference is the contoured edge for comfort. Should be the same otherwise. Enjoy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Yes, what pops1 says. They’re nice mandolins, enjoy!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Small world...just picked up my first F style yesterday at The Music Emporium...an MD515cc!!!! Love to look and feel. I was never a fan of a lot of bling, and I really appreciate the natural beauty of a solid wood finish. Will be spending the long weekend taking it through it’s paces. So far the “noises” I’ve been making on it are pleasantly surprising.

7. The following members say thank you to Henry F for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry F View Post
    Small world...just picked up my first F style yesterday at The Music Emporium...an MD515cc!!!! Love to look and feel. I was never a fan of a lot of bling, and I really appreciate the natural beauty of a solid wood finish. Will be spending the long weekend taking it through it’s paces. So far the “noises” I’ve been making on it are pleasantly surprising.
    I own the A-style version and I agree. The look, feel and sound of this line of Eastmans is very impressive.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

9. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

I have the Eastman MD505 and I like it a lot. I think you will be pleased.

11. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

Thanks so much guys! Just the reassuring words I needed to hear

Maybe you could help me with some advice on accessories as well? Strings, picks, pick up, instrument care etc...

I'm doing my shopping online at the mandolin store and I intend, as recommended here in the cafe, to try various different string sets and pics to find the sound I like the best, but any recommendations might help narrow done my search a bit. (I'd like my tone to me somewhat warm and round, and I dont really chop/play bluegrass all that much. Not as of yet anyway) Any suggestions?

Which pick up would you recommend, if any? Or do you prefer using a microphone for recording/live settings? (I already have a good mic)
    Is there any reason I can't use my guitar wall mounts for the mandolin?
    And how about humidifier/dehumidifier? I'll be roaming the north of Europe for the next year, so I was wondering if that might be necessary?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I have a standard 515, which I have raved about elsewhere on the Cafe. Excellent instrument, especially at the price point. My one gripe is the choice of the stock Pingwell tuning machines. I'm planning on an upgrade. Otherwise, it is a delight every time I play it.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

If you are wondering about the strings, I would recommend you talk on the phone to Dennis at the Mandolin Store. They are very helpful, and may be able to help you select strings that will give you the sound you are looking for, or at least close. It would be a pain to have to switch a bunch of different kinds of strings looking for a particular sound (or at least I think so).

15. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

Yeah, Dennis and the Mandolin Store has been of great help to me throughout this prosess of choosing the right instrument for me. Of course you all knew that would be the case. It was reading your reviews and comments that made me go the Eastman way in the first place and then through TMS.
    He recommended me trying out some monel strings that might have a warmer tone than the phosphor bronze and it seems my new mandolin might already be showing up at the end of the week, even though I'm hidden away in a forest way across the pond!
    Haven't had butterflies like this for years:-)

Thanks everyone and take care!

I have a MD515 which was an upgrade from my Loar, bang for the buck, it's hard to beat (I know, I could have got a nice A for the same money...). I bought it here on The Cafe, it was well set up. From the day I unboxed it, my enthusiasm to play went up 100%, didn't want to put it down. About 2 months later I bought a Northfield F5S, which I love to death (more mando than I deserve - or can afford) but I still play the 515 regularly, it has more punch and projection than the Northfield. I was supposed to sell the 515 to finance the Northfield, but I can't part with it, this ones a keep. Good luck with your purchase, you won't regret it.

PS - How's the mando scene in CR? I lived in Mexico for awhile which is where I originally picked up the mando, wasn't a lot of local interest. Finally found a group of ex-pats to jam with. What kind of music will you be playing?

I played a 515CC/n about 5 months ago I was very impressed. I really liked the sound of it. A LOT. I wasn't shopping for a mandolin, I went to play around with a mandola and an octave. But I considered buying the 515cc/n. I just don't really need it.

If you prefer the scroll and can afford to indulge in it in the first place, go ahead. The extra price is reflected in the resale value should you come to that later.

I finally upgraded the Pingwells on my 505 after 10 years—the Grover 309’s are an easy swap in, feel better, and are easier to get in tune with, but they don’t keep it from going out of tune in the course of a hot sweaty evening gig. (or going sharp if unplayed for a few days).

My beef with Eastman standard equipment is actually the narrow fretwire. Mine badly needed a refret after 7 years of playing. I had a partial refret of the first 12 done. By a year later, the new frets were already starting to groove (not in the good way)up to #5. I would still buy and keep the same instrument, which I love, but when one needs new frets for the first time, I would have them -all- done with a different, wider fretwire.

Default Eastman 515 from Loar 520

I am considering the MD515 also, but since I also have a Loar 520 F-style I wondered if it is worth trading up for it? Some say to wait until I can get something in the $1,000+ price range, like a Gibson, but the difference in sound seems worth it to me and affordable. I saw your post and that you had a Loar and wondered what you suggest? Thanks