Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimble two point reviews?

Default Kimble two point reviews?

Would folks be willing to share their impressions of Will Kimble's two point mandolins? Thanks!

Default Re: Kimble two point reviews?

They're one of the best values on the market. Luthier-built, handmade, varnished, Adirondack top and all for about $5k. The one at TME lasted what? A week? Worth every penny. Will has his own sound as most single luthier shops do. Kind of sits right in the middle on the traditional to modern tone spectrum. Balanced is the word that comes to mind.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

They're great! Tone, setup, build, etc, are all top notch. I've had two Kimble's in the past, and both were very responsive instruments.

I have been fortunate enough to have played several Kimble mandolins. A's and F-styles.I wanted to buy each one. Alas,pecuniary obstacles could not be overcome.

None of the ones I played were two-point models.

I have Will's first black-top. It's an A-5. #12. It has the Uncle Pen Bluegrass haiku label.

Do all Kimble's have that label?

Here is a video from The Music Emporium...

Sounds very fine to my ears.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Here is a video from The Music Emporium...

Sounds very fine to my ears.
    I believe that one is mine, and it is mighty fine.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Thank you all...fine sounding instrument, beautiful too.

I own a kimble A style #252
    It’s awesome.
    Ive played 2 two point kimbles . One was at the music emporium where i bought my A style .
    I might have gotten the two point but it had sold by the time i could acquire a kimble.
    Honestly i was happy getting either.

The other i got to play was at joe val.
    Mr and a friend mine traded for about an hour picking monroe tunes
    We had a blast.

I think his two point was a 2010
    It sounded amazing. It was really broken in.
    Mine is a 2017 the tone was amazingly similar. I cant wait to have mine broken in like his .
    Its getting there . I was impressed with the consistency of his instruments.
    People say the have a loar tone whatever that really means
    Ive played a couple loars and they all sounded different to me.

In my opinion with a grain of salt
    Its a woody dry beautiful tone that has alot of punch when you need it.
    Put a new set if string on and it will ring for days with character and depth.
    2000 rattlesnake F5
    2017 kimble A5
    Waterloo wl-m
    Mandocaster

Ive played a couple of them, great mandolins. I hear someone describe the high end on one of them as "sparkly" I thought it fit pretty well.

Never come across a two point in the UK but, if I did, I’d be tempted. When I bought my A5, it was a choice between a Kimble and a Heiden and even my wife thought the Kimble souned better! Then I found a used F and, ever since, the A has been neglected.

I played a Kimble 2 point at Monroe Camp that was monstrous. Huge chop, great tone everywhere. All the mandolin anyone would ever need.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Mine had been at Monroe Camp with Will, in 2017. I put some NBs on it recently. Made it louder, and not as dry sounding. I am proud to say, it can now be heard over the accordion player in our group. We had a rehearsal just before the lockdown. Cuts right through in the mix. Seriously, it's probably all the mandolin that most people would need (want is another thing).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I bought a 2018 Kimble two point from the Music Emporium in March and am loving it. This is my first higher-end mandolin, but I had played a wide variety up to about $10k over the past year as I was trying to decide what my step-up mandolin would be. It's hard to compare over time and miles, but I feel like this mandolin is as good as any other that I played when it comes to tone, volume, and playability. I especially like the strength of the D and A courses up the neck.

I do love an f-style scroll and may get a nice one some day, but at this point I agreed with conventional wisdom that I was getting the most bang for my buck with an A or two point. I felt the two-point had a bit of extra personality in comparison to the Ellis A5's that I was also strongly considering.

I love my Kimble two-point, but I do think I would have been just as happy with a Northfield F5S or Big Mon, an Ellis A5, a Collings MF gloss top, a Ruhland A5, or a long list of other good mandolins in that price range. We live in a good era for mandolin players!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4849.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	186086
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

one of the "ones" that i really regret selling was a fantastic Kimble 2 point... just a superior mandolin every way. i now own and play a Kimble 2 point mandola... just a superior mandola in every way! Will's instruments are fantastic...

What's the point? Oh, I see. Two of them.
    John A. Karsemeyer

I said it on another thread but i got to play Doug’s two point not long after Will finished it. I would have tried to buy it on the spot if I didn’t already have one of his F5s. A seriously good mandolin!

20. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Every Kimble I have played was an excellent mandolin. He is on my short list which seems like it is getting longer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Every Kimble I have played was an excellent mandolin. He is on my short list which seems like it is getting longer.
    Mine has gotten shorter.

Sounds even more than very fine to me. Outstanding! Mandobar you've obviously got something very special there.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

Spotted a Kimble 2-ponter at The Music Emporium with a video today. NFI because I don't have any money....
    John A. Karsemeyer

My Kimble mandolin is an F but my mandola is a 2 point. Both mighty fine instruments, inspiring every time and a pure joy to play.

Love em. Almost purchased the one at The Music Emporium, but am holding out for something else they have coming down the pike. Kimble makes a killer mandolin. Great value for a new instrument at $5k.

Someone grabbed it

Proud owner of one.

Love everything about it - tonal quality, playability, looks.

It's wonderful.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kimble 2-pt small.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	464.7 KB 
ID:	186245 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kimble 2-pt.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	186246
    Last edited by LKN2MYIS; May-30-2020 at 1:19pm.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LKN2MYIS For This Useful Post:

I have enjoyed the pleasure of playing one of Mr. Kimbles fine J model(two point) mandolins this week. Superb craftsmenship, power, playability and tone. Hard to achieve much better results, very, very cool instrument.