Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you practice?

Default Re: How much do you practice?

Mando -- not at all. Guitar -- a bit. I used to play more in song circles, before COVID.

M&M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99436742_1102316900134193_7020573453509984256_n.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	186230

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pit lenz For This Useful Post:

About a hour a day on the weekdays and probably 2 one hour sessions on the weekend. I'm trying to be more focused on practice and setting goals. Working on about 2 fiddle tunes a month. I should be better for as much as I practice. But it sure is fun to play and my mando sounds sweet to my ears (not so much on video playback...)

5. The following members say thank you to Trader Todd for this post:

Looks like a lot of folks say an hour a day and I fall into that category as well. I do different things every other day or so to break things up and learn different songs and styles.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Not as much as I would like. Since I started working from home due to the pandemic, I decided to hang my mandolins on either side of my desk. That way I can pick them up and practice at will since I'm looking at them throughout the day. Right now, it's about 30 minutes of practice every other day followed by 30=60 minutes of noodling and playing.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Blog Entries

Except recently, I make sure i am behind a mandolin at least once a day. A jam or sometimes two a week and a rehearsal once a week and the remaining days I practice at home.

Two things have changed that. One is that I have been on an extended work assignment aboard a ship under way in the North Pacific, and knew I had to keep my "head in the game" while on board so I did not bring a mandolin.

And the other is the pestilence in the land that has turned all jams into zoom jams, which are just not my cup of tea.

Returning from the ship I will get back into the habit of getting the mandolin out at least once a day.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My two favorite quotes on the topic once to the effect of "I hear it if I miss a day of practice. If I miss two, you will as well" and "There are no cheat codes, no short cuts, in learning to play music. There's only time".

As far as how long, I think of it like physical exercise. 20 mins a day min & I try to get as much more as I can. I firmly believe anyone can learn to play as instrument with as little 10 mins a day. It's just a matter of how long it takes!

Not enough practice, and been playing mandolin for 5 years. Shelter at home notwithstanding, I am an "essential employee" with two jobs, and still not enough time.

Playing for 30+ years. Currently I practice at least 2 hours / weekday and about 6 on Sat and Sun (that’s 6 hrs each day.)
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Just got back into it after a nearly 2 year hiatus. Been playing electric bass, but the tiny Mando strings are indeed a little painful for awhile.

I’d recommend getting the lightest strings you can and setting the action as low as possible while still being playable. I used to use .0115-.041 strings, and opted for the .011-.040, with considerably lower action than I used previously. Played for close to three hours at a jam yesterday and held up. The instrument didn’t have quite as much punch as I like, so I’ll probably go back to the heavy strings and higher action eventually. When you’re starting off, easy playability is more important, though.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4