Thread: A real Gibson A two point?

Default A real Gibson A two point?

I wonder, whether someone out there can identify this mandolin, which is claimed to be a Gibson.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...700283-74-2996
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-24-2020 at 11:58am. Reason: Fixed URL syntax

Default Re: A real Gibson A two point?

it looks like a total "Frankenstein" made up of an old Ibanez 2 point with a new, badly made neck/headstock assembly... i mean i didn't even look at all the pictures, but it certainly isn't a Gibson mandolin.

3. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

My first decent mandolin which I bought in 1977 and I still have was a two point Suzuki. It has exactly the same tailpiece with that stylised S on the tailpiece cover. Of course, that S could be an I- as I have seen it on other Japanese branded two point mandolins- one assumes they were all made in the same factory. So, it may be an Ibanez or a Suzuki or one of the other brands but it sure as hell is not something made in Kalamazoo. It is worth pointing out, that whoever faked this did a good job of getting the wrong Gibson script on the headstock and could not be bothered to change the tailpiece cover. No Jethro style two point mandolin as far as I know had that script logo which came back in vogue when Gibson started recreating instruments made before the late 1940s.

Here is the "genuine" article - an Antoria- not an Antonia- notice that pickguard cover- same stylised S or I- not an A for Antoria!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-...p2047675.l2557

5. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

There are some real issues there one being the model number along with the rest that's wrong. That model would not have been designated as an F style as the body isn't an F style.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

An attempt to replicate the Gibson A-5?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

lenf12 

Teacher, repair person

This is an example of what we call intentional forgery.

11. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Nevin 

"Replicate" may be a bit too generous Allen. Mimic or allude to perhaps? I have the Ibenez version of this mandolin but it's in need of some major repair work. I bought it because I loved that red sunburst finish (and got my telecaster finished in the same red burst). My mandolin has that same stylized I or S branded tailpiece. The OP's is in no way a real Gibson mandolin. Every A-5 from this period that I've ever seen had that red or a tobacco sunburst, none were blond finishes.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

That is , at best, a cartoon.

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

I thank you all for your interest and expertise.
    The case seems quite clear now to me.
    Maybe I can find out, whether the actual owner is conscious of what he is offering or not.
    Thanks again!

That link does not show the mandolin now. Perhaps, since it was posted here, somebody has contacted him and suggested what has been outlined here. With that price- over 1500 euros, it suggests one of two things- he thinks it is a Gibson and is charging a Gibson price, or he knows it is a dog's dinner masquerading as a Gibson and does not care. That Antoria I posted sold for more than the norm for these mandolins in the UK. I have seen them, in excellent condition go for about £175 and they are pretty good instruments. I bought mine for £65 in 1977 and that was a big deal for me- I was just about to graduate but back then buying an instrument was not like it is today- the availability was low and the information about instruments- apart from what you were told in the shop, was negligible. I was paying £3-25 rent a week back then, so the Suzuki represented 20 weeks rent- that is two of the three terms for the year! It's nice to know it is in terms of inflation, worth a small fraction of what I paid for it all those years ago but it is a good instrument!

18. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Ebay UK has just listed a Ventura with the S for Suzuki on tailpiece. Antoria, Suzuki, Ventura all looked the same, or very similar. I once had an Ibanez Artist A5. Very pretty. Bound all round and immaculate condition but pressed top and no volume, from memory.
    I had an Antoria and it was pretty good. Dont know if the Gibson A5 had much of a sound although Jethro played one for years. Maybe it was made with best woods? I've not had a Gibson A5 like that in my hands.

Wortmann, alte Rakete,
    if it‘s a Frankenmando you MUST play it! Go get it for cheap and free the monster inside...

In fact I contacted the owner.
    He said, he would have a look into here.
    Seems he did.

Good point, Pit!

That Ventura for sale in the UK represents the current market value for one of these mandolins. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ventura-V...AAAOSwSTFezBJT

24. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post: