Thread: SILVIO RANIERI - Mandolinist, Conductor and Composer.

Default SILVIO RANIERI - Mandolinist, Conductor and Composer.

Hi all,

I thought it would be interesting to post this 'sound-video' about the celebrated Mandolin virtuoso Silvio Ranieri (Rome, 1882 - 1956, Bruxelles) here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silvio Ranieri.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	186234

It is a video of a recording on a rare 78 RPM disk made in 1905 in Brussels with music for Mandolin and Piano by Jean Gabriel-Marie and Louis Ganne performed by the Italian Mandolin virtuoso Silvio Ranieri. Unfortunately it is not known who accompanied Ranieri on the piano, but perhaps that will surface some day.

During the sound reproduction I placed a number of relatively unknown photos of Ranieri, and pictures of the 1st pages of most of his original compositions for mandolin solo, mandolin in combination with other instruments etc., as well as a selection of the many arrangements he made for Mandolin orchestra.

Near the end of the video you'll hear (also on a 78 RPM record) 'The Belgian Mandolin Orchestra' (the Mandolin section of the 'Grande Harmonie Royale Bruxelles' conducted by Silvio Ranieri. A Mandolin Orchestra of which the plectrum instrumentalists all played on 'high end' Luigi Embergher instruments). Here they perform the famous Intermezzo 'Cavalleria Rusticana' by Pietro Mascagni in a recording made around 1925.

Enioy and best greetings, Alex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5QU0Uqpqs&t=22s
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; May-29-2020 at 8:15am.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: SILVIO RANIERI - Mandolinist, Conductor and Composer.

I'm loving all the research into Ranieri you and Ralf are doing, Alex. Keep it up. I really enjoy the sound of the mandolin section with other orchestral instruments, such as oboe and flute. It seems to take the edge off the mandolin sound. It's a pity these performances were not better recorded, but at least we have them - that's amazing in itself.

4. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Wow. Thank you.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

6. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

I came across this yesterday, never seeing this post. Small world. I was fascinated and cannot wait to learn more!

Thank you, Alex, for this. Are his compositions shared anywhere, or are they still under copyright?