Thread: Aluminum tuner button question

Default Aluminum tuner button question

My current repair has aluminum tuner buttons on brass shafts. I have another antique that has aluminum on steel shaft. Seems to be common on antiques.
    I’m assuming that the buttons are cast directly on the shafts and do not remove, and that they are what we’d call un-alloyed aluminum, not pewter or some other alloy. Anybody know?
    I’m asking because there is going to be some heat involved and I’d rather not melt the button.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Aluminum tuner button question

All I can tell you, related to the aluminum instruments that I have, is that older aluminum alloys are very soft compared to today's aluminum, so you'll want to be extremely careful to avoid melting things. My early 1930s Alcoa double bass had some aluminum welding repairs attempted that surprised the modern-aluminum-familiar repair person by melting down... And a patch had to be applied. Fortunately the patch is solid and stable, but it's sort of sad that the meltdown occurred.

I believe the old 1930s alloy in this case was numbered 2000 or something like that. Today's typical aluminum melting point is around 1200F, judging from the meltdown scars inside my double bass I'd guess ~70%-80% of that for the old alloy, but, you'd be best off having a way to test this.

Mandolin Cafe' user J. Condino has significant experience with old aluminum instruments. I'd highly recommend that you reach out to him for better details.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meltdown.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	186307
    Last edited by dhergert; Jun-03-2020 at 8:28am.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

3. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Are these tuners on an old Weymann bowlback mandolin perchance. Like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9dd1_3.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	186365 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bd51_3.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	186366
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, no; Oscar Schmidt 12 string, both types. OS have serial numbers, and mine are only about 200 units apart, so an interesting change of material on the plates close in time. I don’t know if there’s a year code - first two digits, maybe. Also not covered, like your Weymann. And worm-over.
    I also think the fretboard dots are aluminum too. It is possible that these were made in Germany according to this forum. There are no interior labels.
    Factory made, but astoundingly substantial sound in the low end, and unwarped by all those strings and decades. I’m thinking triple strings wasn’t just a gimmick.

Before the advent of cheap and bountiful electricity Aluminum was a precious metal akin to gold or silver. I don't know where it stood at the time these tuners were made but it's value a few years earlier was healthy.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/gi...onument_3.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

@Mike. True, the watershed year was 1886 for the Hall process, and the metal became rapidly cheaper and available. By the time the Wright brothers cast their engine, say about 1900, Al was down to $0.30/ pound and no longer exotic. The appeal for tuners was likely that they weren't going to come off, and were light.
    Right now we’re likely in the carbon fiber growth years, as an exotic material filters down to hundreds of new applications. Some of us are expecting graphene to blossom next...

Yes, the top of the famous Washington Monument in DC is capped by a 9-inch pyramid made of solid ... aluminum! In the early 1880's, aluminum cost over a dollar per ounce (about $30 today, adjusted for inflation) and was mainly used for jewelry.