Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailpieces

Default Tailpieces

I have a mandolin with a tailpiece hook that's bent fairly severely. It needs replacing, but I've never shopped for tailpieces. Are all the vintage style stamped ones essentially the same quality? It's a nice Sparks F-5 that my dad played for nearly 30 years, so I wouldn't mind spending a little and putting on some quality hardware.

Also, would prefer matte nickel to shiny chrome.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Tailpieces

This is what I bought when the prong lifted on the tailpiece for my Passernig A5:

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/produ...lin-tailpiece/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Check out Allen tailpieces.
    Some of them will be direct replacement with the screw holes and a nice upgrade.
    I like the TR2.
    https://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm
    You can get it in satin nickel
    https://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs_tr-2.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR-2satrhod-web.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	186376

4. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

sonic 

Wow, those are both cool, look more functional than the traditional one, but not "what in the world is that" different.

Of the Allen bridges, I also like the TR2. That aged patina one is pretty sweet. Of course, it would need matching tuners. My dad rode this thing pretty hard, I think it's earned a few bucks spent on some cool new hardware for it
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I'm a big fan of not having to thread a string through a tailpiece. James are fine, but a tad expensive, while 'Monteleone' style tailpieces (open top) can be inexpensive, albeit imported, if that matters.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I'm a fan of the James tailpiece and I also prefer the matte finish to the shiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JamesInstalled.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	186377  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

My Collings mandola came with one of the Allen type tailpieces and I hate it with a vengeance. It’s difficult to keep the string loops on whilst you’re stringing up and you have to yank the strings hard to get the distorted string ends through the holes whilst taking them off again.

I have two mandolins with James tailpieces which are a dream so, unless you’re trying to keep the mandolin looking original, my advice would be to go for one of those.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

If you get a stamped tailpiece I would get a stainless steel one instead of a plated one. They seem to stand up much better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The Prucha stamped tailpieces have a stainless base and a plated cover.

https://gregboyd.com/product/prucha-...lpiece-nickel/
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Another James fan here. I also like my Rigel tailpiece, but they look more “different” than the James.

After seeing a photo of Marty Stuart’s mandolin in FB Journal, I began using just the straight hooks on my Gibson style tailpieces rather than dealing with the bends on the higher strings, and it changed my life, lol. My James is designed this way. No idea why I’d never thought of that before, other than I figured if the sideways tabs were there, they were there for a reason.

Good luck in your search!
    Chuck

I am a recent convert to James---great tone/sustain improvement!And looks great.
    2007 Ellis Special

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I began using just the straight hooks on my Gibson style tailpieces rather than dealing with the bends on the higher strings, and it changed my life, lol. My James is designed this way. No idea why I’d never thought of that before, other than I figured if the sideways tabs were there, they were there for a reason.
    I think they’re a vestigial organ left over from the days when string windings were less reliable than they are now. If they are still present, as on my Gibson snakehead, I continue to use them to honor tradition.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I think they’re a vestigial organ left over from the days when string windings were less reliable than they are now. If they are still present, as on my Gibson snakehead, I continue to use them to honor tradition.
    Frank Ford has this article about the why and also notes you no longer need to use the bend. I like you still do it as a nod to tradition on my mandolins with the traditional tailpiece.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I use them so if I break a string at the headstock, I can possibly move the loop to the front hook and maybe have enough string left to use it in a pinch. I'm not opposed to new strings at all, but I've been without a spare a few times, and that's the only time they ever break.

Thanks for all the advice on new tailpieces.

21. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I have 4 mandolin family instruments with cast Allen tailpieces. I really like how sturdy and simple they are, plus allow using ball or loop end strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    My Collings mandola came with one of the Allen type tailpieces and I hate it with a vengeance. It’s difficult to keep the string loops on whilst you’re stringing up and you have to yank the strings hard to get the distorted string ends through the holes whilst taking them off again.

I have two mandolins with James tailpieces which are a dream so, unless you’re trying to keep the mandolin looking original, my advice would be to go for one of those.
    Putting a piece of masking over the post with the new string while tuning up solves that problem. When replacing the strings, cutting the old ones with a pair of wire cutters solves the other.
    I just ordered a James tailpiece (engraved) for my Girouard from Max. Can't wait to be rid of the stamped one.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have James tailpieces on two mandolins and highly recommend them. To me they look simple and traditional but are so easy with string changes and they also mute the strings between bridge and tailpiece so no other harmonic suppressors needed.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

To my mind using the extra hook on this type of tailpiece just puts an unnessesary kink in the string, you really don't need to use it.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Putting a piece of masking over the post with the new string while tuning up solves that problem. When replacing the strings, cutting the old ones with a pair of wire cutters solves the other.
    Obvious solutions but why should I have to?

Good design involves balancing economics, aesthetics and ergonomics. I don’t care about the economics of a tailpiece and, whilst the Collings one is aesthetically pleasing, it’s a ergonomic disaster which equates to bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    To my mind using the extra hook on this type of tailpiece just puts an unnessesary kink in the string, you really don't need to use it.

Dave H

But they could be useful if one of the hooks were to snap off.

I prefer the lighter weight of a traditional tailpiece. I just don't think the heavy ones sound as good. The Prucha looks nice, but I haven't used one myself. I didn't necessarily plan it this way, but all of my current mandolins are from the 1990's and have stamped tailpieces of the period. Never had a bit of trouble with any of them to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Obvious solutions but why should I have to?

Good design involves balancing economics, aesthetics and ergonomics. I don’t care about the economics of a tailpiece and, whilst the Collings one is aesthetically pleasing, it’s a ergonomic disaster which equates to bad design.
    Ray(T) if you put the string on the tailpiece and keep it tight all the way to the tuner. Keep tension on it by pulling with your hand, not a lot, then wrap the tuner with the desired amount of wraps, wound or plain. Finally put the string thru the post hole being sure to keep the windings below the hole when your put the string thru. It makes changing much easier, should keep the string from coming off the tailpiece, and you don't need to worry about a string winder as you don't have to turn the tuner nearly as much. Been doing it this way for decades and it is sooooo much easier. Doesn't work on a slotted headstock tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Is the James tailpiece heavier than a regular stamped one?

Some would consider this a sin, but I’m also thinking about replacing the gold hardware on my Gibson Doyle Lawson with nickel.

Blog Entries

I compared the weight of my stamped Gibson tailpiece with my James tailpiece by hand before I installed it. I was surprised that the weights are extremely close, almost no perceivable difference. I was surprised at this since the James tailpiece is bronze; I was expecting it to be heavier.

To me the main general difference is how solid the James tailpiece is. My stamped Gibson tailpiece had bent with string tension, the James tailpiece will probably never do that.

FWIW, on my F-9, the James tailpiece sits very slightly higher above the top of the mandolin using the original screw holes. I like it that way.

Regarding nickel vs gold plating, in either plating the stock James tailpiece has a beaded matte finish and looks really quite nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Tailpiece on my F-9.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	186403  
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Ray(T) if you put the string on the tailpiece and keep it tight all the way to the tuner. Keep tension on it by pulling with your hand, not a lot, then wrap the tuner with the desired amount of wraps, wound or plain. Finally put the string thru the post hole being sure to keep the windings below the hole when your put the string thru. It makes changing much easier, should keep the string from coming off the tailpiece, and you don't need to worry about a string winder as you don't have to turn the tuner nearly as much. Been doing it this way for decades and it is sooooo much easier. Doesn't work on a slotted headstock tho.
    Yep, that’s exactly the way I do it; although I can’t say I’ve been doing it that way for decades. I was always taught that “designers design for designers” but this one definitely doesn’t impress me. It’s almost as bad as the one on my National but the flat wound strings on than don’t need changing nearly as often.

Fortunately, I haven’t had an instrument with a slotted head since I was a teenager and that was way back in the last century!