Thread: New builds final Set-up Help?

Default New builds final Set-up Help?

Ok gentleman, she’s strung up. This is what I came up with. Looking for guidance. The action at the 12th is 5/64 on the bass side and 4/64 on the treble side. The nut is cut to a depth of about .015 from top of fret to bottom of strings at the first fret. The height of the D strings in front of the bridge at the bridge is 24/32. The neck looks just about dead straight, has no truss rod. I’m having some trouble getting the A and E strings to ring clear. They sound fuzzy like their pinched. I have re-done the the slots on nut and bridge 3 times. My question is.......from the measurements I have given you. Where am I at and What do I need to change or not change? And one other question, what is considered to high at the 12th? This mandolin seems to intonate best at 14 1/8 Front of nut to middle of saddle. Thanks Men

Default Re: New builds final Set-up Help?

That's high action. So you can rule out the bridge as the culprit (unless it's due to it being way too high, which is easily tested by lowering the bridge).

You probably need to level your frets.

For any mandolin, regardless of measurements, here's the setup process:

Mark tops of frets
    Mill frets level
    Crown frets and dress ends
    File nut slots to be as close to the height of the fret as possible (usually .002-.006 above the fret)
    String 'er up
    Adjust bridge location
    Adjust bridge height

If the frets were perfectly level and crowned, and the neck is appropriately stiff, then you will end up with 1mm (64ths are useless for mandolin because your target, which is around 40 thousandths of an inch, isn't a multiple of 64, but it's around 2 and a half sixty-fourths) at the E course and 12th fret, and around 1.5mm (60 thou or 4/64") on the G course.
    If that doesn't work, then, in order of likelihood, your nut slots are wrong, your frets are too uneven, or your neck is too floppy.

I’m on the same page with you on the frets. However, I have read on here that a lot of people like their action higher. I would think it would be personal preference? The neck on this mandolin is not floppy. The mandolin has been strung up for a few days now. I have been checking it daily and it hasn’t had any movement. I sent my Sons Collings back to Collings awhile back. They ran it through their fret mill and did a complete set-up. The string height at the first fret is more like you described. But the 12th fret height is higher than you have stated. I did not instruct them on the set-up. It seems to me that sometimes the action on instruments can be to low. Sometimes the strings seem looser or floppy like you described with not enough tension? I’m not basing this on anything solid, just an observation. Thx.

On a short-scale, high-tension instrument like the mandolin, tiny differences in the measurements can lead to big differences in playability -- and in the sound. In my opinion, you would do well to heed the advice offered by Marty Jacobson. Very few players want (or need) a high action on their mandolin. Not "a lot," as you wrote. Most players go for the lowest action that's still consistent with good tone, based on their playing. This makes the setup extremely important! The most desirable height for the action will depend, to some extent, on the types and gauges of the strings being used, and on their tension. But you have to get things like the flatness of the frets and the fretboard, the nut slot height, and the bridge saddle height just right.

Another thing to check is that the string-pairs (the courses) have adequate spacing. Perhaps the E strings are too close to one another? Or the A strings? Also, make sure the "fuzzy" sound you hear is not coming from somewhere else, like the tailpiece and its cover.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    On a short-scale, high-tension instrument like the mandolin, tiny differences in the measurements can lead to big differences in playability -- and in the sound. In my opinion, you would do well to heed the advice offered by Marty Jacobson. Very few players want (or need) a high action on their mandolin. Not "a lot," as you wrote. Most players go for the lowest action that's still consistent with good tone, based on their playing. This makes the setup extremely important! The most desirable height for the action will depend, to some extent, on the types and gauges of the strings being used, and on their tension. But you have to get things like the flatness of the frets and the fretboard, the nut slot height, and the bridge saddle height just right.

Another thing to check is that the string-pairs (the courses) have adequate spacing. Perhaps the E strings are too close to one another? Or the A strings? Also, make sure the "fuzzy" sound you hear is not coming from somewhere else, like the tailpiece and its cover.

I feel pretty sure it’s the bridge slots, don’t change Whalen fretted. I ruined a couple nuts and have used 2 different CA saddles. It was clear until trying to fine tune everything. It’s a stamped tailpiece with leather edge top and bottom and cover fits tight. There have been different strings that have done this. Mostly the A and E. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate all you veterans. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the action. Bluegrass players I know play pretty hard. Some have their action up there. My Son plays fairly hard as well. His Collings is a tad higher than Marty stated and plays clean up and down the neck. I have worked on instruments as a hobby for about 15 years but this is my first Mandolin build. I know just enough to be dangerous! Thx. Again JR