Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimble or Duff F5?

Default Re: Kimble or Duff F5?

Ok, here's a better video/audio of the 2017 Duff. Kimble will be coming in a little.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

I know which I prefer, but I don’t know which you prefer.

Here's the Kimble:

Curious, which do you prefer.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Thats a tuffie. Not sure if I could make a meaningful decision based on this... but... If I had to choose Id say I liked the Duff more. I might say the Duff for solo playing and the Kimble for a Bluegrass or multi-string band. Hows that for a hedge ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

7. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Thats a tuffie. Not sure if I could make a meaningful decision based on this... but... If I had to choose Id say I liked the Duff more. I might say the Duff for solo playing and the Kimble for a Bluegrass or multi-string band. Hows that for a hedge ?
    I'd choose the Kimble... for me the Duff is a little too "woofy" whereas the Kimble has that nice balance between warm and clear without being too bright or too hollow sounding. As Lynn "The Dude" Dudenbostel often says... "chocolate or vanilla... they're both yummy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    I'd choose the Kimble... for me the Duff is a little too "woofy" whereas the Kimble has that nice balance between warm and clear without being too bright or too hollow sounding. As Lynn "The Dude" Dudenbostel often says... "chocolate or vanilla... they're both yummy!"
    My band got coronaized so I'm just playing to myself solo and I like the 'woofy" for that. So Josh gives me the Duff and you the Kimble and then we're both happy. Problem solved!

In full transparency, I will be listing one for sale soon, as such will not be adding any more of my thoughts/opinions to the thread. But, since I have first hand knowledge of these instruments I am hoping that my contribution is appropriate, honest, and as unbiased as possible.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Thanks for posting these videos, Josh. In the first combined video, I had a clear preference for the Kimble. The Duff struck me as a strong mandolin, but the Kimble’s quality of tone had more character. Today’s separate videos narrowed the gap, as the Duff’s woody pop made up ground on the Kimble’s dry, traditional voice. If I were to use an analogy, the Duff would be a sharp 8” chef’s knife that is a versatile and useful tool while the Kimble is a 12” carving knife that is more specialized to excel in one or two applications. Both could find room in (and on) my block.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Yep, you already did the most unbiased thing one can do in your presenting these video comparisons. Both great mandos - it just depends on what tone one is after. But there really is no better or worse when you get up in this range. Its just which suites who for what at this moment in time. Fun comparisons and thanks for posting!

AKA Billgrass

I'm lucky to have a well worn Duff. A very strong instrument. When I got it, I contacted Paul, and I have to say he was absolutely delightful to deal with even though I am not the original owner. I share this in the event any ongoing service from the builder is part of your decision. I haven't had the pleasure with Mr. Kimble, but I hear he is also a great guy. (Must have something to do with the profession these guys chose). Happy pickin'!
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

15. The following members say thank you to Billgrass for this post:

In full transparency, I will be listing one for sale soon, as such will not be adding any more of my thoughts/opinions to the thread. But, since I have first hand knowledge of these instruments I am hoping that my contribution is appropriate, honest, and as unbiased as possible.
    Oh no, didn't you tell me I could have the Duff? I believe hell has frozen over

That of course is an unbiased opinion since I haven't played your Kimble.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

A few more examples:

Duff A5

Kimble A5

Kimble F5

Still have the F5. It's stout enough to have replaced a Gil and a MM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I'm a Duff man Shaun, but I have to say... that Kimble f5 sounds like a real killer.

By the way, I'm sitting in the hotel room expecting a call. About 3 minutes into your Dusty Miller clip, I shut it off to answer the phone. Ya got me.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

I have a 2015 Duff F5 and a 2008 Kimble A5. My thoughts are:
    Duff has a sweeter, rounder tone - projects less possibly. can be nice and dry, especially with monels it does everything I want in a mandolin. The Kimble suprised me how good it was when i bought it used via reverb. Build quality is fantastic, playability is superb. It it a powerhouse that socks you in the eardrum (in a good way). This one is older and I read that the tone Will builds for has changed over the years. I assume they are all good though. The neck feels a bit more roomy on the Kimble, but without the "v" on the Duff - I love the feel of the Duff neck. Both are great guys- I get to interact with them at Monroe camp each year and I am happy to have one of each. They love the music and are both talented players- so they understand what musicians look for in instruments are happy to try and deliver that for you. Can't go wrong either way!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tempotantrum For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    A few more examples:

Duff A5

Kimble A5

Kimble F5

Still have the F5. It's stout enough to have replaced a Gil and a MM.
    Yea, but that Gil sure is good...

And of course, the video that played after the F5 was your Heiden. Still the best of the bunch. What year is the F5? It was clearly the best of the 3. The Duff sounded like it needed a couple years of whooping on it, but the treble was crystal clear which tells me there's a lot more in there.

That Gil is awesome! The Kimble (#153 built in 2008) has enough of that tone to have stopped me from repeatedly kicking myself for selling it
    One of these days I need to do a comparison video of the Heiden and the Kimble. I like them both for different reasons and they’re certainly different voices.
    The Duff A5 was a great mandolin. I bought that one new from Gruhns. Had a much bigger neck than his F5s usually have.

25. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Buck 

Nice picking, Shaun...you seem to have a fine collection of mandolins.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Here's the Kimble:

That is a hard choice as they both sound amazing. The Duff has a pleasing warmer tone, reminds me a bit of Grisman’s crusher. There is something about that Kimble though. It has more clarity and note separation. I would be completely happy woth either of those. Thanks for recording Josh.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

I wonder if the OP has made a decision? Both sound very good.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Both are outstanding sounding instrument, but the examples I have played the Duff's seemed in the Gilchrist camp and the Kimble's more in the Loar camp (but that has change a bit over the years). Buying a high level mandolin is like getting married, a very individual decision. Which one fits your style? What are you looking for? How does each fit with your courent menagerie? I would get the Duff personally as it would compliment my Ellis more. If I did not have the Ellis, probably would go Kimble.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I can‘t say I knew it, Josh, but I am partial to my mandolin too. Mine does not sound too far from a 20ies F-5.

With this particular example I'd have to say Kimble spoke to me. That being said I'm a Duff fan too...

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Nice picking, Shaun...you seem to have a fine collection of mandolins.
    Thanks Mike. I’ve done a lot of catch & release over the years. Been a great learning experience. Today my mando collection is small....Kimble F5, Heiden A5, and the new Waterloo flattop. Those three cover all the bases for me. Until MAS hits again....

This must be the Kimble referred to in an earlier post in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    This must be the Kimble referred to in an earlier post in this thread:
    I think so. It's very nice, may be one of his first F5's with his peghead design.