Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical mandolin album library list

Default Classical mandolin album library list

I am hoping that some of you might be willing to help build a list of favorite classical mandolin albums. If posters could add their two (or more) currently favorite albums when you post, a nice list could be developed and shared. I will start the list with my two favorite albums:

Sebastiaan De Grebber
    La voce de Mandolino

Avi Avital
    Bach: Partita No. 2

I am particularly fond of Victor Kioulaphides' Sweelinck Variations and the Suite for Ali. I think if you wrapped up about a dozen or so descriptions of wonderful emotional responses into a bundle, it would probably cover my reaction to these incredible compositions. Mr. De Grebber's performance is beyond anything I can imagine mere mortals capable of!

Please add some favorites and build the list. If you copy and paste the previous posted albums, then each post will have the complete list in one place.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Default Re: Classical mandolin album library list

So many . . .

I'm not certain where to begin. I'll give more thought. My own library of classical mandolin recordings represents only a tiny fraction of what's out there and would still take me many hours to fully cite (spanning about 150 or so albums). If I were to begin with a few, they might be:

Il Giardino Armonico. 1993. Antonio Vivaldi: Concerti per Liuto e Mandolino. Teldec, 4509-91182-2. (representing the fourth-tuned mandolino of the baroque era)

Mandonico, C., Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia," and Quintetto a Plettro "R. Calace." 1991. Raffaele Calace (Napoli, 1863–1934): Musica da Camera per Strumenti a Pizzico. Fonè, 91 F 02 CD. (representing mandolin-orchestra/mandolin-ensemble playing)

Troester/Tröster, G. (now Weyhofen). 1994. The Romantic Mandolin of Raffaele Calace: 10 Preludes. Thorofon, CTH 2211. (representing solo repertoire on the modern [or nearly so] mandolin)

4. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Eugene -
    Thank you. If you have 150 albums, then I have not even begun to tap what is out there. Two of those you listed are not familiar to me. There may be many who would get so much enjoyment out of exploring a list. Please do “give some thought”!!!!!! I will combine the list here (this combing idea may very likely not grab people - but I will try for a bit to see what happens [grin]).

1). Sebastian De Grebber - La voce de Mandolino

2). Avi Avital - Bach: Partita No. 2

3). Il Giardino Armonico. 193)93. Antonio Vivaldi: Concerti per Liuto e Mandolino. Teldec, 4509-91182-2. (representing the fourth-tuned mandolino of the baroque era)

4). Mandonico, C., Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia," and Quintetto a Plettro "R. Calace." 1991. Raffaele Calace (Napoli, 1863–1934): Musica da Camera per Strumenti a Pizzico. Fonè, 91 F 02 CD. (representing mandolin-orchestra/mandolin-ensemble playing)

5). Troester/Tröster, G. (now Weyhofen). 1994. The Romantic Mandolin of Raffaele Calace: 10 Preludes. Thorofon, CTH 2211. (representing solo repertoire on the modern [or nearly so] mandolin)

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I second No.5, the Tröster Calace Preludes. Stunning, and so very musical.

7. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Just an aside - google and a cafe search turns up albums but no information on Gertrude Troster herself. Could one of you provide a little info or link about her background possibly? Thank you!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

She got a divorce, and changed her name to Weyhofen, so look her up with that surname.

10. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Blog Entries

These are only a few of my current regulars

Carlo Aonzo E Orchestra A Pizzico Ligure - Antonio Vivaldi Concerti per Mandolino e Concerti per Orchestra

Paganini - Complete works for mandolin and french guitar - Carlo Aonzo, mandolin; Sandro Volta, guitar

Musique pour les fêtes galantes - Gertrude Weyhofen

Conerti für Laute, Conerti für Mandoline - Narciso Yepes & Takashi Ochi - Deutsche Grammophon

Vivaldi - Mandolin Concertos - Fabio Biondi Europa Galante

However I think my 'go to' would be Ugo Orlandi and the various projects he has persued over so many years. His extensive discography is at the end of his profile here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugo_Orlandi

Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

12. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

I would add:

Alison Stephens Music for Mandolin (1991) – CD-SAR53

Vienna Nocturne by the Mair-Davis Duo

Barry

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btrott For This Useful Post:

"Just an aside - google and a cafe search turns up albums but no information on Gertrude Troster herself. Could one of you provide a little info or link about her background possibly? Thank you!"

http://www.gertrud-weyhofen.de/web/index.html
    Robert A. Margo

16. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

The combined list to date (thank you!):

1). Sebastian De Grebber - La voce de Mandolino

2). Avi Avital - Bach: Partita No. 2

3). Il Giardino Armonico. 193)93. Antonio Vivaldi: Concerti per Liuto e Mandolino. Teldec, 4509-91182-2. (representing the fourth-tuned mandolino of the baroque era)

4). Mandonico, C., Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia," and Quintetto a Plettro "R. Calace." 1991. Raffaele Calace (Napoli, 1863–1934): Musica da Camera per Strumenti a Pizzico. Fonè, 91 F 02 CD. (representing mandolin-orchestra/mandolin-ensemble playing)

5). Troester/Tröster, G. (now Weyhofen). 1994. The Romantic Mandolin of Raffaele Calace: 10 Preludes. Thorofon, CTH 2211. (representing solo repertoire on the modern [or nearly so] mandolin)

6). Carlo Aonzo E Orchestra A Pizzico Ligure - Antonio Vivaldi Concerti per Mandolino e Concerti per Orchestra

7). Paganini - Complete works for mandolin and french guitar - Carlo Aonzo, mandolin; Sandro Volta, guitar

8). Musique pour les fêtes galantes - Gertrude Weyhofen

9). Conerti für Laute, Conerti für Mandoline - Narciso Yepes & Takashi Ochi - Deutsche Grammophon

10). Vivaldi - Mandolin Concertos - Fabio Biondi Europa Galante

11). Alison Stephens Music for Mandolin (1991) – CD-SAR53

12). Vienna Nocturne by the Mair-Davis Duo

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Duo Zigiotti-Merlante -- Calace: Complete Works for Mandolin & Guitar -- Tactus

19. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

That's a good one, Jairo.

The weekend, I've taken some time to cite a few more favorites. I've been deliberate in trying to not double things I've seen already listed on this thread.

Unaccompanied
    De Grebber, Sebastiaan. 2006. Fantasia Romantica: Music for Solo Mandolin. Stemra, SDG001-07.

Stephens, A. 2004. Con Espressione. Astute, AS05.

Troester, G. 2000. Jiro Nakano: Jewels for the Mandolin. Thorofon, CTH 2408. (Gertrud has recorded as Weyhofen, Tröster, and here as Troester. Be astute in your search for recordings.)

Voznesenskaya, A. 2012. Mandolin Solo: Classical–Modern International. Trekel Records.

Chamber
    Ahlert, D., and B. Schwab. 1998. Raffaele Calace: Werke für Mandoline und Gitarre. Musicom, CD 020407.

Aonzo, C., and K. Nagaoka. 2007. Kaze. CD Baby.

Aonzo, C., and E. Buttiero. 2010. Fantasia Poetica. CD Baby.

Aonzo, C., and R. Izquierdo. 2012. Paganini. Self published. (Fantastic and released in association with a concert on the little series I direct right here in Ohio. The concert was as enthusiastically received as any we've ever hosted. Carlo and René must have sold 50 CDs [many different titles: Carlo is relatively prolific] to attendees.)

The Baltimore Mandolin Quartet. 2004. Grandmother's Ghost. Self published.

Duetto Giocondo (C. Lichtenberg and M. Schrader). 1997. American Music for Mandolin and Guitar. Koch/Schwann, 3-1309-2.

Duo Capriccioso (G. Tröster/Weyhofen and M. Tröster). 1998. Dedications: Duo Capriccioso Vol.5. Thorofon, CTH 2366. (But, really, get all six volumes . . . and everything else Ms. Tröster/Weyhofen has recorded.)

Duo Galante (C. Lichtenberg and S. Lisko). 2004. Musik für Mandoline. Verlagsgruppe Kamprad, VKJK 0418.

Duo Mandala (A. Stephens and L. Scott). 2003. Tapestry: Contemporary Music for Mandolin and Harp. Black Box, BBM1088.

Duo Opus 1 (E. Olenchyk and V. Kisseljow). 2005. Maestro Calace. Gema.

Frati, D., and P. Dadomo. 2006. Johann Sebastian Bach for Mandolin & Guitar. Dynamic, CDS 514.

Motus Mandolin Quartet. 2017. Calace: Music for Mandolin Quartet. Brilliant Records, 95494.

Orlandi, U., and M. Mazzonetto. 2004. Rapsodia Napoletana. Nuova Era, 7378.

Reina, N., and A. Garavello. 2001. Raffaele Calace: Opere per Mandolino e Pianoforte. QBforme Records, QB 01A002.

Stephens, A., and S. Devine. 2007. Raffaele Calace (1863–1934): Mandolin Concertos Nos. 1 and 2. Naxos, 8.570434. (Originally written with piano accompaniment, and I prefer the contrast of tone colors afforded by the originals, as presented here.)

Trio Musica Moderna. 2000. Raffaele Calace: Opere per Mandolino, Liuto cantabile e Pianoforte. QBforme Records, QB 00A001.

Uptown Mandolin Quartet. 2001. Kansas Tango. Self published, UMQ0901CD.

Mandolin with orchestra
    Aonzo, C., and Ensemble Il Falcone. 2016. Through4seasons: Carlo Aonzo Plays Vivaldi. CD Baby. (This one excited me as much as Avital's Bach. I wish it had been given major-label distribution.)

Avital, A., (et al.) and Metropolis Ensemble (A. Cyr, dir.). 2010. Avner Dorman: Concertos for Mandolin, Piccolo, Piano, and Concerto Grosso. Naxos, 8.559620. (The only time I can remember mandolin being nominated for a classical Grammy.)

Avital, A., and Kammerakademie Potsdam. 2012. Bach. Deutsche Grammophon, B0016801-02.

Fischella, S. (tenor), Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana (N. Santi, dir.). 1990. Ruggero Leoncavallo (1857–1919): La Nuit de Mai (poème symphonique d'après Alfred de Musset—1835). Accord Musidisc, 201582. (I love this under-performed work.)

Frati, D., and Symphonia Perusina. 1999. Concerti Napoletani per Mandolino. Dynamic, CDS 193.

Klaus, G. (contrabass), and Radio-Sinfonieorchester Frankfurt (O. F. Màga, dir.). 2000. Klassische Musik für Kontrabaß. Bayer Recoerds, BR 100 323. (It's not that Kozeluch's Sinfonia Concertante for mandolin, trumpet, bass, piano and orchestra is great music—it definitely isn't—but it is about the craziest thing I've ever heard an orchestra subjected to.)

Orlandi, U. and I Solisti Aquilani (V. Antonellini, dir.). 1991. Italienische Mandolinenkonzerte/Italian Mandolin Concertos. Koch/Schwann, 311 171.

Orlandi, U., D. Frati, B. Bianchi, and I Solisti Veneti (C. Scimone, dir.). 1993 (1971, 1984, 1986). The Magic of the Mandoline: Greatest Conceertos. Erato, 4509-92132-2.

Mandolin orchestra
    Het Consort (A. Timmerman, dir.) w/ S. de Grebber, soloist. 2003. Omaggio a Luigi Embergher. Stemra, 88418-2.

Ensemble da Camera Gino Neri (G. Fabbri, dir.). 2015. Giglio Fiorentino: Musiche per Orchestra a Plettro nella Firenze di Fine '800. Tactus, TC 840001.

Nashville Mandolin Ensemble (P. M. Zonn, dir.). 1998. All the Rage: Mandolin Ensemble Music from 1897–1924. New World Records, 80544-2.

The New Vintage Frets and Friends. 2018. The Wisconsin/Vega Project: Exploring America's Forgotten Tradition. Ruppa Enterprises.

Orchestra a Plettro di Breganze (M. Mazzonetto, dir.). 2005. Il Mandolino a Vicenza e Padova. Self published.

Orlandi, U., Qunitetto a Plettro "R. Calace," and Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia" (C. Mandonico, dir.). 1998. Raffaele Calace: Le Opere per Quartetto & Orchestra a Plettro. Nuova Era, 7302. (However, this recording reverses the order of the movements of Calace's second concerto. It rubbed me so much the wrong way that I corrected the sequence by editing the track numbers in the version ripped to my mp3 library.)

Orlandi, U., A. Bono, and Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia" (C. Mandonico, dir.). 2000. Mandolin & Japan: "Incontro Casuale"/"A Chance Meeting". Nuova Era, 7348. (But, really, get everything the Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Città di Brescia" has committed to record, mostly on the Nuova Era label.)

Royal Estudiantina "La Napolitaine" (R. Leenen, dir.). 2006. Primo Concerto. SABAM, LN20050825.

Early mandolins
    Check out the long lists of citations I posted here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rtolazzi-style and here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...in-early-music plus, some more recent things not specifically named in those threads:

L'Arte dell'Arco (F. Guglielmo, dir.). 2010. Vivaldi: Mandolin and Lute Concertos. Brilliant Classics, 93810. (Approaches Il Giardino Armonico among my favorite interpretations of these venerable works and includes a reconstructed harpsichord concerto that is speculated may be the first concerto [in the "modern" sense] for a keyboard soloist.)

Artemandoline (here M. F. Pavón et al.). 2013. Domenico Scarlatti: Mandolin Sonatas. Brilliant Classics, 94477. (Lots of recordings of this material. This is my current favorite . . . other than O'Dette's and Tragicomedia's nod to Scarlatti and Arrigoni via a single sonata by each on Capritio: Instrumental Music from 17th Century Italy.)

Artemandoline w/ N. Rial, soprano. 2015. Sospiri d'Amanti. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, 88843077892.

Artemandoline. 2018. Concerti Napoletani per Mandolino. Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, 19075841512.

Europa Galante (F. Biondi, dir.). 2002. Vivaldi: Concerti per Mandolini–Concerti per Molti Strumenti. Virgin, 7243 5 45577 2 4. (Approaches Il Giardino Armonico among my favorite interpretations of these venerable works.)

Galfetti, D., and L. Pianca. 2015. Italian Sonatas. Passacaille, PAS1010.

Pizzicar Galante. 2016. Valentini: Complete Mandolin Sonatas. Brilliant Classics, 95257.

Yamaya, H., and J. Schneiderman. 2010. The Mandolino in 18th-Century Italy: The Dalla Casa Manuscript, Vol.1. Mediolanum, M004. (six-course, fourth-tuned, gut-strung mandolino: all fingerstyle and all fantastic.)
    Last edited by Eugene; Jun-13-2020 at 12:39pm.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Eugene, you are incredibly kind to post this treasure trove! I'm sure there are many who will benefit from your selections and I really look forward to exploring your list. That took a lot of time to create and I, for one, really appreciate your efforts. Thank you so much!!!!

I think I will cease trying to group all posted albums into one post - it would make the thread too cumbersome. Perhaps at some point a final list could be incorporated into a permanent resource link on the Cafe. Maybe that is something the moderator could help with if it is possible (?). If so, please let me know if there is a way I can help that effort. If every Classical forum member added one or two albums, the final list, arranged in Eugene's format would be a wonderful resource!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

24. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Eugene, you are incredibly kind to post this treasure trove!
    I'm just glad you didn't ask about classical guitar or obscure symphonies!

. . . or weird prog rock.
    Last edited by Eugene; Jun-13-2020 at 5:29pm.

26. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

This just in and super enjoyable:

Duo Zigiotti–Merlante. 2020. Marucelli · Mozzani · Munier: Opere per Mandolino e Chitarra. Tactus, TC 860003.

All performed using vintage (1892–1935) mandolins, guitars, and guitars with extended sub-bass diapasons by misc. Vinaccia-family shops, Mozzani, Maurri, and Fornasari.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Ooooo.....gotta' get that!!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

This list has me thinking about history and literature. My background and career are in choral music, and although I have been playing for a few years now my knowledge of classical mandolin literature consists of our local orchestra, CMSA events, and "string" (bowed) music by Bach, Schubert etc. I never heard of Calace, or any of the revered and respected masters of this field. Even my favorite cd, MMQ'a Americana, is mostly music not originally for the mandolin. I thank all the contributors for teaching me, for their scholarship and extensive knowledge.
    And I just ordered:
    Motus Mandolin Quartet. 2017. Calace: Music for Mandolin Quartet. Brilliant Records, 95494.
    Thanks again to all of you for schooling the scholar.
    Jim Imhoff, DMA (not a real doctor, I just play one on the mandolin)

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

TOTALLY awesome to know that this thread has inspired you!!!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Cheers, Jim! Enjoy the ride.

Caterina Lichtenberg's new Solo album should be added to the list. It is an extraordinarily sensitive performance. You can feel her heart in every pick stroke. Nothing short of amazing.

http://caterinalichtenberg.com/recordings/

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

35. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

I agree tat Caterina Lichtenberg,s cd is really good.
    Especially like the Bach cello suit on a Gibson Mandola from. The 1920s.

I saw that Caterina has recorded a Sauli partita here. Can anybody let me know what mandolin type she used in recording it? . . . or the other instruments beyond the Gibson mandola mentioned above?

This also made me aware of a terrible omission from my own posts above and from the perspective of early-music fans:

Rebuffa, D. 2018. Filippo Sauli: Sei Partite per Mandolino Solo. Tactus, TC 671901.

This was recorded punteado (i.e., fingerstyle) using two original Baroque-era (dating from 1727 and the late 1600s) gut-strung, fourth-tuned, fixed-bridge mandolini.

The Sauli piece was recorded on a 2003 alto baroque mandolin made by luthier Bernd Georg Holzgruber. The Abel was recorded with a 1994 soprano lute by the same maker. All other pieces except the Bach were recorded on her Woll.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

39. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

Ah . . . What she calls "soprano lute" as a modern term of convenience (to differentiate from what modern players call "mandolin") is what would have been called "mandolin" by players of the time (well, technically "mandolino," "mandoline," or similar depending on where discussion occurred). I also found this interview that discussed the instruments used on the album: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...elease-of-Solo

Personally, I don't like concocting modern terms of convenience because the practice risks separating a substantial body of repertoire from the instruments for which it was intended. Vivaldi, Sauli, Hoffmann, etc. wrote for an earlier thing called "mandolino" (or similar) even if tuned [g, b,] e', a', d", g" instead of g, d', a', e".

41. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post: