Thread: Crittern Adventures

Default Crittern Adventures

A builder friend made a crittern some years ago during his instrument building learning phase. The instrument is an attractive walnut and spruce "celtic" looking affair. The neck is a hefty looking 3 piece laminated build with a cocobolo fretboard. Thinking it would be sturdy as is, he neglected to install internal reinforcement. After several years, the neck warped and the glued on pin bridge pulled up as well. He then placed the now unplayable crittern in his "project" bin.

While helping my friend with with a new guitar build, I came across the discarded crittern. He told me he was not interested in spending any more time with it and I could have it if I wanted it.

So I took it home and began my attempted repair. I reshaped and reglued the bridge.
    I realize that the best neck repair would be the installation a truss rod or carbon rod. I wasn't ready for that. I then tried heat treating the neck with my old Stewart McDonald heating bar (about 4-5 sessions). It didn't hold. Since the fretboard is rather thick, I decide to sand a backbow into it and refret. It's worked so far. Since I only use the instrument occasionally as a novelty instrument, I detune it to relieve the string tension.

I'd like to show photos but don't know how. If any would like to assist, I have a Huawei tablet with camera and an IPhone.

Default Re: Crittern Adventures

I know how to spell cittern. My spell check, who is a sorry know it all, doesn't.

3. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

DougC 

For pictures, you have to go to "Go Advanced" (next to "Post Quick Reply" below); and when you get there, you should see "Manage Attachments", which is where you then upload your photos.

And speaking as someone who has a "Mandocello-thing", I thought "Crittern" was quite deliberate! Hey, maybe that's a good name for it!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I thought "crittern" meant critters who played cittern. I think the iphone will take a picture and let you email it to someone who can then save as jpeg and post here. I'll try if you like: jfimhoff@msn.com
    My mandocello-thing is a mandocello.