Thread: Bach D Major Prelude from Suite #6

Blog Entries

Default Bach D Major Prelude from Suite #6

This prelude was intended for a 5-string cello. I use the viola arrangement by Milton Katims and play it on my Buchanan 10-string.

I will record the Sarabande from this suite next.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bach D Major Prelude from Suite #6

Excellent playing, Tom! This prelude is one of my favorite pieces to play, even though that last page is usually a train wreck when I attempt it. I'm curious why you went with the edition you did. I just got my ten string and I'm playing several of those passages up an octave. I'm using the Peters edition edited by Simon Roland-Jones which I bought specifically because it has a version of the sixth suite for a five string instrument. Either way, sounds great!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    Excellent playing, Tom! This prelude is one of my favorite pieces to play, even though that last page is usually a train wreck when I attempt it. I'm curious why you went with the edition you did. I just got my ten string and I'm playing several of those passages up an octave. I'm using the Peters edition edited by Simon Roland-Jones which I bought specifically because it has a version of the sixth suite for a five string instrument. Either way, sounds great!
    Thanks for listening. I came from playing this on viola, so was familiar with the Katims version for viola, from Universal It keeps the passages more in the richer tone range of viola. I tried using the strictly octave-higher version and couldn't get get comfortable with it.

My 10-string is a bit thin in tone on the E string so I feel the Katims is a good choice for me. Bach likes those string crossings when available but he has no requirement for them, witness the keyboard version pf the E major Partita Praludium as Sinfonia to Cantata #29. (I only know this from the Switched-On Bach album.)

Enjoy your 10-string! I sold my only 8-string when I got my first Buchanan. Eight is not enough!
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I played viola many years ago but never attempted this suite so I came to it originally on mandolin so I favor the higher passages. They do sound wonderfully rich in the lower register on your instrument. Come to think of it, that's where it would sound if it were played on cello as originally written!

I already feel like 10 is the correct number of strings for a mandolin and wonder where the rest of it is when I pick up one that only has 8!