Thread: Folkfriends OHG Irish Bouzouki

Default Folkfriends OHG Irish Bouzouki

Newby here with some decisions to make. I am considering purchasing either an octave mandolin or an Irish bouzouki. I've some experience with a tenor banjo so it should not be too difficult to transfer my limited skill set to an OM. However, I also like the sound of the zouk and besides it can also be tuned GDAE. With this and the traditional GDAD tuning I should be able to play melody or rhythm.

Currently looking for an instrument and finding the usual suspects: Gold Tone, TC, Ashbury and Carvalho. I've played both the Gold Tone and TC and they sounded good. Still keeping my options open but came a across the Folkfriends Irish Bouzouki from Germany. I believe it is made in China with a solid wood construction to their specs. Listening to the videos it sounds real nice, no worse than similar priced competitors and probably a bit stronger in voice. Again, I like the sound of a zouk. Even with shipping the price of the instrument with gig bag is about $525, which is a fairly good deal.

However, looking through this site and the Web I could find very little information on this zouk. So my question (finally!!) - does anyone have any experience with this instrument and/or with the firm?

Any and all comments welcome!

TOG

Default Re: Folkfriends OHG Irish Bouzouki

I would suggest the Carvalho . I haven’t seen one in person, But I did a lot of research when I was looking for an instrument. I was favorably impressed by what looks to be decent quality and the instruments sound very well in the Videos that I’ve listened to .I Ended up getting an Ashbury Rathlin cittern Mainly because no one else makes a current in my price range .I believe it’s pretty close to the same dimensions as the corresponding Octave Mandola (Scale excluded) , But I have been pleased with the sound and the quality of construction. It’s a good starter instrument. It’s also very plain. But I believe that the Octave Mandola would Be at the same quality level

The other thing, and forgive me if this is something you’ve already considered, you need to be realistic about your reach because most of the Zukey‘s are about 650 to 660 mm scale and that’s as much and more than a classical guitar. So, if your hands are not particularly huge or you’re not as flexible as you used to be, you might want to go with an octave mandolin or a cittern.

Trinity college and gold tone of course are pretty standard, consistent quality (knock on wood), but really the Carvalho Octave mandolin would have been my choice if I weren’t looking for a cittern

Best of luck,
    Garry

DISCLAIMER. Oh I am using voice dictation on an iPad and I’m not responsible for the typos are crazy Things that occasionally come out Aujourd’hui est un salut Including the silly thing leaving French words and phrases from auto swap in the keyboard

Garry

I considered an Ashbury Rathlin OM. Are the sides and back solid wood and is the top braced? Curious, as I had an issue with an old mandolin the fell apart - laminate sides and no bracing.

Also, many thanks on the zouk vs OM. Given I am in my latter years the reach aspect of the zouk might be an issue. Can always drop the E to a D, or, use octaves for the G and/or D sets to approach the zouk sound.

TOG

A Folkfriends Octavemandolin was many years ago my start in the octave world. To cut it short, I was not happy with it. Although nice to look at, I didn‘t liked the sound. Not much of a charakter, warmth in tone. Changing strings made no great difference. It is many years ago and they might be better today. I sold mine with a loss weaks after purchasing. Bought a Weber and all trouble was gone.

I think the Ashbury is pretty solidly built. The top on the cittern is solid spruce. Sides and back, I can't tell by looking if they're solid or laminate. I don't put much into sides and back being solid unless a laminate is so thick that it dampens the vibration. Remember that Antonio Torres Jurado once made a guitar ( 1862, I think) that had the back and sides made of paper-mache just to prove that the top was the important bit. The Ashbury's outside and the inside appear to be of the same wood. It's Senna Siamea, which is apparently a Vietnamese walnut analogue. It seems to be sturdily ( if not heavily) braced. I tend to go a long time with a lower end instrument as long as the workmanship and materials are adequate. It has a good sound.
    But again, if I had been getting a zouk, I would have gone with Carvalho. When I used to play classical guitar many years ago, there were quite a few small workshops in Spain ( and Portugal) that made instruments that were of much higher quality than their price would have suggested. I think Carvalho might be of the same class. They have a really nice OM as well.

Yeah. I'm too old and too inflexible for a bouzouki, which is why I went with a mid-scale cittern. :D

Good luck!

Garry

DISCLAIMER: I am typing this message without my glasses and after having a pint of ale. I am therefore not responsible for typos and any maudlin outbursts contained in this message.

After reading the responses - along with other threads - I've opted to go with a Trinity College OM. The shorter length to help my older fingers and general positive commentary about the TC were deciding factors. My new used OM arrives on the 29th, looking forward to playing it. A big thank you to everyone.

One other note: a number of people recommended Moloney Music in Galway. Although I did not purchase from him, the owner was very helpful and answered all my questions promptly. Moloney sells the Carvalho line and certainly worth checking them out.