Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Moore Tuesday

Default Tiny Moore Tuesday

Howdy friends! It looks like I'll be doing these for the long haul, so thought I'd just make a dedicated thread for all the Tiny Moore Tuesday posts.

This week I took a stab at a great solo from "Swing That Music," recorded at the 1986 Ashokan Western and Swing Week, uploaded to YouTube by Roger Weiss.

Here is a link to my take on it:

If you're interested in free TAB/sheet music, you can always head to www.btlmusicnotes.com/learn

Thanks for watching and let me know what solos you'd like to see featured next!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Tiny Moore Tuesday

Thank you Hayes - these are really informative!

Mission to Moscow?

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Mission to Moscow?
    You bet buddy! I can have that lined up in a few weeks no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the kind words John

6. The following members say thank you to Hayes Griffin for this post:

I forgot to post last week's stab at a real cool break Tiny plays on "Time Changes Everything" at the 1986 Ashokan Western and Swing Week. Thanks to Roger Weiss for posting the original performance on YouTube!

Tab/Sheet Music Here: www.btlmusicnotes.com/learn

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Hey folks! This week I put together a video of Tiny's interpretation of the melody on the tune "Stumbling."

If you haven't seen the original footage this was taken from, be sure to check it out:

Next week I'll be featuring the two-chorus break that Tiny plays after the head, so stay tuned!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Howdy mandolin fans! This week's Tiny Moore Tuesday is part 2 of last week's intro to "Stumbling." Last week's video is a great place to start if you're a beginner in the Tiny Moore style, whereas this week is a more advanced example of his hot swing solo style. As always, check out btlmusicnotes.com/learn for the free tab/sheet music and thanks for watching!

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Hayes, thanks for posting anything Tiny!

I appreciate your efforts in sharing Tiny's great jazzy style.

signed,

a New Orleans Boy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Hayes, thanks for posting anything Tiny!

I appreciate your efforts in sharing Tiny's great jazzy style.

signed,

a New Orleans Boy

You're most welcome David! Glad you're enjoying it and expect plenty more (or Moore?)

Hayes: Thanks for posting Mission to Moscow! Can't wait for the solo.

Hayes: Thanks for posting Mission to Moscow! Can't wait for the solo.
    You bet John! Filming the solo today, it's a beast! :D

Here is this week's Tiny Moore Tuesday. One of these days I'll actually remember to post it here on Tuesday lol

As always, check out this link for the TAB/sheet music.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Big thanks, Hayes. We try to play a version of this as a lead -in medley to "Lady Be Good" or other swing tunes in G!

Mission to Moscow Part 2 for your viewing pleasure! This week we get Tiny's extremely acrobatic solo. Eat your heart out Eddie Van Halen :D

21. The following members say thank you to Hayes Griffin for this post:

Thanks for the request Norman Plankey!

This is definitely one of my favorite Bob Wills cuts, super early in Tiny's tenure with the band. He and Jr. tear it up! Next week I'll have that solo ready for you folks.

Hope you enjoy the videos and feel free to let me know what else you would like to see!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

This week kicks off a 3 part look at How to Play Jazz Tunes in the style of Tiny Moore.

Don't forget to head to btlmusicnotes.com/learn for your free TAB/sheet music and thanks for watching!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Hayes - can't wait to see how you delve into this one! Great tune for intro into jazz blues. "Simple" head and chord progression that opens up tons of avenues for creativity.

Hayes - can't wait to see how you delve into this one! Great tune for intro into jazz blues. "Simple" head and chord progression that opens up tons of avenues for creativity.
    Thanks and you said it John - if you can play inside the blues progression, that unlocks a whole world of possibilities! Next week we'll focus on comping and soloing the week after.

Part Two of our study on C Jam Blues is now live! This week features some really cool double stops that Tiny often used to accompany vocalists/soloists, along with some cool voicings built on top of these double stops.

Thanks for watching!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Loving this C Jam!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    Loving this C Jam!
    Awesome, so glad to hear that Joey!

I'm finishing the editing on the next video right now. We'll be looking at how to take some small bits of Tiny's vocabulary to build a solo on C Jam Blues, so check back tomorrow!

32. The following members say thank you to Hayes Griffin for this post:

Howdy gang! As promised, Part 3 of our look at C Jam Blues. The concepts presented here are designed to help us mere mortals take some of Tiny's vocab and build a progressive, personalized solo over a standard jazz form.

Thanks for watching and see you next week!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post:

Great video, Hayes, but wouldn't notation be more useful than tablature? I think that anyone really interested in and capable of learning his style will be reading notation, don't you? With tablature, there's an extra step in trying to figure out what he's doing over a chord, etc... You know what I mean?

I appreciate the videos a lot, just a comment.

Has anyone else heard the Glenn Campbell taught himself to play guitar by learning Tiny Moore solos?

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Great video, Hayes, but wouldn't notation be more useful than tablature? I think that anyone really interested in and capable of learning his style will be reading notation, don't you? With tablature, there's an extra step in trying to figure out what he's doing over a chord, etc... You know what I mean?

I appreciate the videos a lot, just a comment.

Has anyone else heard the Glenn Campbell taught himself to play guitar by learning Tiny Moore solos?
    Hey there lowtone2! First off, YES I have totally heard that Glenn Campbell used to bust his knuckles on guitar trying to learn all of Tiny's lines. Probably why Glenn was such a monster...

Second, thanks for the comment and the kind words about the videos. You raise a VERY good issue that others have messaged me about before, and this is something I really grappled with heavily when I started making these videos.

I forgot to include the link this time, but I do always include both standard notation and TAB in the corresponding PDF's so that viewers have the choice to learn the way that suits them best. My apologies, but you can download the PDFs at www.btlmusicnotes.com/learn if you want to take a look at the notation.

Ultimately, I chose to include the TAB on the videos because 1) I do offer the PDFs for more advanced cats such as yourself and 2) I felt like tablature on the screen could decrease the number of barriers to any YouTube viewers who were in the "advanced beginner" category that I might be able to bring to the dark side of swing mandolin

All of that being said, just because I have reasons doesn't necessarily make my choices good haha. I think it could be fun to include notation on the next one!
    Last edited by Hayes Griffin; Sep-04-2020 at 1:39pm. Reason: SP

37. The following members say thank you to Hayes Griffin for this post:

Hey gang! This week I'm using one of Tiny's go-to melodic cells to give us another option for crafting a solo over a 12 bar blues.

For tab and the full blog post, head to the newly revamped hayesgriffin.com

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hayes Griffin For This Useful Post: