Thread: Lyon & Healy Model A rebuild or for parts

Default Lyon & Healy Model A rebuild or for parts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE3D7716-630A-4EA3-BF6E-FDF11D1222AF.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	186816

There is a Model A up for bid on Skinner Auctions with a $400 - $600 estimate. It has no label, a cracked headstock, and was refinished. it could be a project for a luthier or the tailpiece and the pick guard could very likely be worth the low bidding price.
    https://skinnerlive.auctionserver.ne...580/lot/238270

ooops - subject line should say "or" not "of"
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Jun-24-2020 at 6:53pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Lyon & Healy Model A rebuild or for parts

Like magic the title is fixed.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Did you look at it in person? Can't tell from the photo whether it has a label or not. Also can't discern anything useful about the headstock break from the photo. Has it been repaired?

The finish does look dodgy, but there are a handful of L&H mandolins originally finished in chocolate brown.

https://skinnerlive.auctionserver.ne...6xclosed%3Dyes
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martin - no I did not look at it. The description is what was stated on the link. Tailpieces and pick guards for Model A's are almost impossible to find and are priced quite high. This auction, at a minimum, could help someone in need of either piece.

Mike - thank you!!!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Oh, I've sold several of those tailpieces over the years . I wouldn't write this instrument off as a basket case before inspecting it in person, though.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yes, for the right person this could be a real find!!!! I am almost tempted to put a bid in myself and have it delivered directly to a luthier LOL!!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Hey, my style A mandola has a poorly repaired headstock break and it sounds just fine.

Caveat emptor. This is an auction. Auction houses almost always underestimate value. Gets folks like us all excited. All you need is one other person as crazy as you. I would be surprised if the cake anywhere near that estimate. More likely $1500-2000 as-is. Plus there will be a buyer’s premium 25% of final bid price which usually adds a lot to the selling price. Still it is worth a shot.

Neck breaks can be seriously problematic on these since the scroll headstock design required routing out for the tuners. My first one, a long scale, has that and I poured lots of money into it. It sounded fantastic but it is unplayable at this moment. My later Washburn has a better neck joint and is stable and a wonderful instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What is a "buyer's premium" please? Thank you.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Tim, it's what the auction house charges you for the privilege of buying from them. The seller gets the auction price, the house gets the 25%.

Louise - feeling ignorant here. Are you saying that a bidder will pay an additional amount beyond his bid or that the premium is simply a portion of a bid that goes to an auction house? Thank you!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    What is a "buyer's premium" please? Thank you.
    If you win you will pay 25% additional to the auction house. So, if you win a lot for $1,000 you will pay $1,250 plus tax. The auction house gets $250. Shipping fees are also extra.The seller also has to pay commission fees to the auction house. The auction house makes money from both sides of the transaction.

From the Skinner site (for buyers):
    A premium equal to 25% of the final bid price up to and including $250,000, plus 20% of the final bid price from $250,001 up to and including $3,000,000, plus 12% of the final bid price from $3,000,001 and over will be applied to each lot sold, to be paid by the buyer as part of the purchase price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    What is a "buyer's premium" please?
    Whoa! You folks don't watch enough car restoration on cable. "Chasing Classic Cars" is one of the better ones; you'll soon find that the buyer's premium on some of them would buy most any mandolin short of a '20s Loar. And most auto auctions charge only 10%!

Then again, the premium on a really clean & original '60s Shelby Cobra would buy a pretty nice house!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Jim - whoa! That would make you think twice - thanks for pointing that out! (Is this one of those "dah" moments? LOL)

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Auctioneers are extortionist pirates.

That has not kept me from buying at auction, however. Due diligence and avoiding bidding duels may help keep you from getting "skinned".