Thread: New Parlour King tenor video up!

Default New Parlour King tenor video up!

Christian and Martin came down to see the the other week and we had a fine afternoon, lots of tunes, lots of tea and plenty of laughs.

I got the video camera out and shot a few tunes. Here we go -

Nigel
    https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Parlour King tenor video up!

This guitar sounds beautiful, even with this small body. Is there any bigger difference in volume compared to the bigger body, Nigel?
    Does anybody know the name of the second jig?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This guitar sounds beautiful, even with this small body. Is there any bigger difference in volume compared to the bigger body, Nigel?
    None. The construction - the laminated sides, and the bracing are the same. The way the instrument works is the same. If there is any difference, it is the smaller tenor has slightly less bass, but you'd expect that. But the two sound very similar.

In this video, I have one of each - a Session King, and a Parlour King. Different scale and different tunings, but you'll hear how remarkably similar the two models sound:

Nigel

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/ins.../tenor-guitar/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Amazing sounding guitar.

So fantastic!
    Blow on, man.

The first Jig is The Mystery Inch (composer David Kosky, Sheffield) the second is Arthur Darley's (aka Swedish Jig)
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Thanks for the information, Anglocelt.

Quote Originally Posted by nkforster View Post
    None. The construction - the laminated sides, and the bracing are the same. The way the instrument works is the same. If there is any difference, it is the smaller tenor has slightly less bass, but you'd expect that. But the two sound very similar.

In this video, I have one of each - a Session King, and a Parlour King. Different scale and different tunings, but you'll hear how remarkably similar the two models sound:

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/ins.../tenor-guitar/
    Indeed, the fullness on the higher stings is there and the bass seems to be more than sufficient in the small body. Thatīs the most important thing for me in a tenor, because most wooden tenors Iīve heard or played to date sounded more or less tinny in the higher notes. Even more so than my resonator tenor, which sounds also very full, but in a different way, of course.

Indeed, the fullness on the higher stings is there and the bass seems to be more than sufficient in the small body. Thatīs the most important thing for me in a tenor, because most wooden tenors Iīve heard or played to date sounded more or less tinny in the higher notes. Even more so than my resonator tenor, which sounds also very full, but in a different way, of course.

The resonators tend to sound a bit too banjo like for my tastes. More quantity than quality.

Yes, my aim was to make the best sounding, loud, simple tenor guitar I could. If it is simple, I can make them more affordable. By making them more affordable, I sell more of them. They're still not cheap - but they are a handmade instrument. But they're for players, not collectors.

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com