Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is this how it starts?

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Is this how it starts?

Yes, Sue, it is best not to hang her on a nail.
    Gibson mandolins of this age are susceptible to cracking from rapid changes in humidity and/or humidity below 30-35%.

The best way to prevent this is to keep your instrument in the case when you are not playing it, especially during the heating season; and to run a room humidifier in the room where you store your instruments. A $40 humidifier from Walgreen's will be sufficient.

2. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Yes, Sue, it is best not to hang her on a nail.
    Gibson mandolins of this age are susceptible to cracking from rapid changes in humidity and/or humidity below 30-35%.

The best way to prevent this is to keep your instrument in the case when you are not playing it, especially during the heating season; and to run a room humidifier in the room where you store your instruments. A $40 humidifier from Walgreen's will be sufficient.
    Yeah, I learned that lesson pretty quick. Last winter I fixed up a back bedroom with a small humidifier and a heater on an inkbird controller for them to live in when not being played, and a big honking (but somewhat ineffectual) humidifier in the living room where we hang out.

Very cool, Sue. I think it is very important as mandolin players to at least experience living with the joys of vintage Gibsons. I love the look of this one even the metal armrest and the wear of the picking area. And yes, I understand the fantasizing of the provenance. I own a Gibson guitar I bought many years ago from a music store near me in NY and it dates from 1939. The store owner told me an elderly woman brought it in to sell it and I imagined she was gifted this guitar as a young girl after seeing some musicians at the 1939 NY World's Fair.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Soon, soon, imagination will be superseded by The All-seeing, Alll-knowing AI and the Universal DNA Database. Did Sachmo’s lips touch this horn? Whose butt sat at this piano? Did Loar lose a little blood carving this mandolin?
    And far worse.
    —Brought to you by Theranos Revised History, Inc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Sue, I love how your Gibson has all the best custom mods. No pesky tail-piece cover, to get in the way of playing time. Custom headstock... no need to worry about knocking another piece off... If it happens, It's even more custom! Nail hole so you can grab it while on the way into the kitchen, to make soup (This alone guarantees the most extra playing time. Million dollar U.S. government study to follow).

In a perfect world, you could leave it hanging on a nail. The previous owner did. Sadly, I could not... but Sue, don't be like me, you're better than that! lol Case in point, you bought the Stradolin clarinet. You live the dream. I wanted to, but I held back, even though the wood on those SOL clarinets is the best there is and I believe those were made in France, where, at one time (when these were made) the best clarinet makers were from. Sorkin knew what he was doing. Think of all the Supertramp songs I could have played. I could have, but you can.

Sue, If you find yourself not playing your SOL because you've hit the big time with that Gibson, let me know. I would give you a handsome profit. Though, I think you are going to miss that elevated pickguard, every time you play that Gibson. I'm still searching for a rare vintage A model Gibson with a raised fretboard.

9. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Sue, I love how your Gibson has all the best custom mods. No pesky tail-piece cover, to get in the way of playing time...
    I got the SOL out the other day, because I felt it needed some attention and didn't want it to "fall asleep" . I'd decided to change the strings, and I spent over an hour fiddling around with the taillpiece cover trying to get it off. In the end, it popped off and bounced across the room, and I was horrified, thinking the cool plastic part could be broken. Thank goodness, not. It did make me appreciative of the lack of tailpiece cover on the Gibson. This kind of exercise could well be why the tp cover is missing.

Anyway, I'd almost forgotten how good that SOL sounds.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-17-2021 at 4:20pm.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I spent over an hour fiddling around with the taillpiece cover trying to get it off. In the end, it popped off and bounced across the room
    I had a similar experience with the exact same type of tailpiece cover. When I told one of the moderators about it, he was like, what are you talking about, nobody has ever had a difficult time with one of those.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Gee, maybe he was being, I dunno, sarcastic?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Seriously, though, I end up using a small flathead screwdriver to start moving the tailpiece cover on my SOL (and Gibson A Jr for that matter). Both are very tight fitting and difficult to remove. Neither of them rattle, which is an upside compared to some Gibson covers I've had.

Funny, have been playing my SOL again too. Even put new strings on it. Figure it'll be one out of the case and hanging on a wall this winter. Just have to work through the "new string tone" phase.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

17. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Seriously, though, I end up using a small flathead screwdriver to start moving the tailpiece cover on my SOL (and Gibson A Jr for that matter). Both are very tight fitting and difficult to remove. Neither of them rattle, which is an upside compared to some Gibson covers I've had.

Funny, have been playing my SOL again too. Even put new strings on it. Figure it'll be one out of the case and hanging on a wall this winter. Just have to work through the "new string tone" phase.
    Yes, that is what I ended up doing, wedged a small flathead screwdriver between the bottom of the tailpiece and the lip of the cover and then turned. It still wasn't easy.

They get bent out of shape after years. I never heard of no one having trouble. They can be a royal pain. You have to be patient. Someone should invent a tool to make it easier.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...Someone should invent a tool to make it easier.
    I believe that's the legendary "nine pound hammer"(?)

One can finagle with the cover's rim, using needle-nose pliers, to "loosen it up" a bit -- but beware the too-loose cover (not to be confused with Toulouse Lautrec!) that rattles, or even comes off and gets lost. You already have one of those on (or more accurately, not on) your Gibson.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I believe that's the legendary "nine pound hammer"(?)
    That's pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    One can finagle with the cover's rim, using needle-nose pliers, to "loosen it up" a bit -- but beware the too-loose cover (not to be confused with Toulouse Lautrec!) that rattles, or even comes off and gets lost. You already have one of those on (or more accurately, not on) your Gibson.
    Don't think I need to indulge in any modifications. A couple more string changes, and I should have it down to a science (I hope!). Next time I'll try using a piece of towel or something over it, to try and keep it from leaping away. This is one tp cover I'd like to keep