Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Default Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    The second question is whether they can still be heard in a small to medium sized Irish trad session, or do I really need a brighter string like the GHS Silk and Bronze set? The acid test will be tomorrow at a session in a local brew pub, where there will be one set of Scottish smallpipes, one whistle, a guitar, and probably 5 or 6 fiddles. If I can at least hear myself and manage to lead off a set, I'll call that a success.
    Well, it probably depends on the particular situation. I just came back from a (mostly Irish and Old-time) jam session which included one other mando (resonator type), two guitars (sometimes three), a tenor guitar, a baritone uke, three fiddles, and a stand-up bass. We used four mics, but only the 'leader' of the particular number being played was personally mic'd. I had to be a bit aggressive, but they could hear me just fine. (TI's on and Eastman 915) So I would definitely give it a go. You might be surprised. Good luck!
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

2. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Good luck. I have done a couple of outdoor jams with uillean pipes, an accordion or two, nyckelharpa(s) and fiddles. Most could hear me okay. And when my wife has filmed us the mandolin does come through fine. Now, those jams are Scandinavian, rather than Irish, so that may make a difference.

A few weeks ago, I did lead an indoor Scandinavian jam with multiple fiddles, mandolins, and guitars and folks had no problem hearing my mandolin with Thomastik strings.

Let us know how it goes with your jam.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Here's the After Action Report on the TI experiment in yesterday's mixed Scottish/Cape Breton/Irish session.

The mandolin was up against one piper, four fiddles, one whistle, one guitar (actually two, but one was too quiet to be heard).

The piper sits out about half the sets, and when it was just fiddles and whistle I was able to kick off a couple of sets, so I know people across the circle could hear it.

With sets where the piper was playing, the mandolin disappeared. But that was predictable, because yesterday he brought his loud border pipes instead of his quieter smallpipes. With border pipes, you just follow the piper and can barely even hear yourself. Still, it's fun to play with a piper so I don't mind the volume. It just comes with the territory.

My left hand fingertips weren't quite as sore as they usually are after three hours of this kind of thing, so that's a plus for the TI strings. I'll keep them on for a couple of months and see how well the intonation holds up, compared to the GHS Silk and Bronze I've been using.

There will be another of these sessions next month, a big 5-day workshop coming up after the Holidays, and we'll be having friends over for tunes once in a while. So I'll have a few more times to see how they work in a group before making a final decision on switching to TI's full time.

6. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Here's the After Action Report on the TI experiment in yesterday's mixed Scottish/Cape Breton/Irish session.

The mandolin was up against one piper, four fiddles, one whistle, one guitar (actually two, but one was too quiet to be heard).

The piper sits out about half the sets, and when it was just fiddles and whistle I was able to kick off a couple of sets, so I know people across the circle could hear it.

With sets where the piper was playing, the mandolin disappeared. But that was predictable, because yesterday he brought his loud border pipes instead of his quieter smallpipes. With border pipes, you just follow the piper and can barely even hear yourself. Still, it's fun to play with a piper so I don't mind the volume. It just comes with the territory.

My left hand fingertips weren't quite as sore as they usually are after three hours of this kind of thing, so that's a plus for the TI strings. I'll keep them on for a couple of months and see how well the intonation holds up, compared to the GHS Silk and Bronze I've been using.

There will be another of these sessions next month, a big 5-day workshop coming up after the Holidays, and we'll be having friends over for tunes once in a while. So I'll have a few more times to see how they work in a group before making a final decision on switching to TI's full time.
    Also the Flatwound design will save the frets from scratches, plus they have silk wound around them to protect them.

It would also rock if Thomastik also had instructions on how to install those strings because I'm not yet sure if they should be trimmed (like the Guitar strings) or not when installed on the Mandolin. They only give instructions on how to install their Strings designed for Orchestral Bowed instruments (this applies to Viola D'amore & other bowed instruments) but I'm not really yet sure if it's the same or different for the strings designed for strummed stringed instruments which would include Mandolin, Mandola, Mandocello, Bouzouki, Guitars, Bass Guitars, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
    It would also rock if Thomastik also had instructions on how to install those strings because I'm not yet sure if they should be trimmed (like the Guitar strings) or not when installed on the Mandolin. They only give instructions on how to install their Strings designed for Orchestral Bowed instruments (this applies to Viola D'amore & other bowed instruments) but I'm not really yet sure if it's the same or different for the strings designed for strummed stringed instruments which would include Mandolin, Mandola, Mandocello, Bouzouki, Guitars, Bass Guitars, you name it'cello.
    Well, I have been using TIs for years (along with other brands), on mandos and 'cellos, and always trim them. However, I have been tempted not to trim them on the 'cello, but just because I want my buddies to know that I spent $150 on a set of strings

Al

An update on my experiment with TI Starks. Nope, after a few more sessions and a workshop heavy with fiddlers and pipers, I've decided they just don't have enough "cut" to be heard, or to hear myself well enough.

There is a period of a couple of weeks when they're new, where they're almost competitive with the GHS Silk and Bronze strings I've been using. But they do continue to dull down some more and that just doesn't work for Irish/Scottish trad gatherings unless it's just a few people there. I can't afford to replace TI's often enough to retain that initial hint of a bite in the tone.

I'll miss the feel under my fingers, I really like that. But tone and power is everything when you're already the quietest instrument in the group.

11. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

An update on my experiment with TI Starks. Nope, after a few more sessions and a workshop heavy with fiddlers and pipers, I've decided they just don't have enough "cut" to be heard, or to hear myself well enough.
    I love the TIs, but my experience is the same. So, when I need a little extra bite, I use the Ej74s (on my Eastman F-copy), but if there are just a few folks, or we're playing more modern stuff, or for my occasional excursions into more "classical" pieces, I use the TIs (on my other Eastman F-copy). I DO love the sweet tone.

Someday, I might find the "perfect" set.

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

There is a period of a couple of weeks when they're new, where they're almost competitive with the GHS Silk and Bronze strings I've been using. But they do continue to dull down some more and that just doesn't work for Irish/Scottish trad gatherings unless it's just a few people there. I can't afford to replace TI's often enough to retain that initial hint of a bite in the tone.

I'll miss the feel under my fingers, I really like that. But tone and power is everything when you're already the quietest instrument in the group.
    Silk and Bronze strings are not like silk and steel, they have as much tension as phosphor bronze. Actually on a guitar they have more tension than phosphor bronze for the same gauge set. You might try the pure nickel, they last and I think they have less tension. I don't have the specs for mandolin strings, only guitar, so it's just my feeling from using them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

If you like the TI’s enough, try buying a National RM-1 to put under them!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

16. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

You might try D'Addario EFW74's. They have a brighter sound that carries a little better and you have the feel of flat wounds. I'm not sure they will 'cut it' in big sessiuns enough. But it is worth a try. (They are cheaper than TI's as well).

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    If you like the TI’s enough, try buying a National RM-1 to put under them!
    I've thought about it, for years now.

Haven't pulled the trigger because they're very expensive for what they are, and every time I listen to a YouTube clip of what an RM-1 sounds like even with TI strings, it doesn't sound enough like a mandolin to my ears. Might as well get a tenor banjo if I'm going down that path. And it would be easier to hit treble ornaments for Irish tunes on single strings.

Maybe one day, if I find a real bargain on a used one, but those who like them tend to keep them.

19. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I've thought about it, for years now.

Haven't pulled the trigger because they're very expensive for what they are, and every time I listen to a YouTube clip of what an RM-1 sounds like even with TI strings, it doesn't sound enough like a mandolin to my ears. Might as well get a tenor banjo if I'm going down that path. And it would be easier to hit treble ornaments for Irish tunes on single strings.

Maybe one day, if I find a real bargain on a used one, but those who like them tend to keep them.
    Ears are different of course, but the modern National mandolins strike mine as very different from a tenor banjo. I’ve always described the tone as akin to an oval only with incredible volume and a touch of reverb.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

21. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Seeing this thread a little late. I use a National RM1 with mittel gauge Thomastik strings in a fairly large Irish session on a regular basis. Sitting at home, it is a bit brash but in a large session, the tone becomes just a mandolin that happens to be very loud, so it is great for retaining some dynamics in your playing. Be aware though - they are very directional. If you think you are playing loud enough, the people you aim the RM1 at will think you are waaay too loud. Anyway, love mine with TI strings.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

23. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post: