Thread: Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue in D

Default Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue in D

Bet you didn't know Canon in D had more to it, did you?

Point 1) the Canon isn't meant to be played as slow as it's represented in popular media. I literally can't listen to popular versions of it any more after hearing a period-accurate performance by The Academy of Ancient Music.

Point 2) The Gigue is so beautiful, I feel like it should be a criminal offense that it's almost completely unknown in comparison, and almost never performed.

With all that said, here is my rendition of Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue in D that I made at the beginning of the lockdown (actually in C because my instruments are tuned down - but my fingers are still playing in the key of D). The music is the original, no adaptations except for (obviously) the mandolins instead of violins/continuo.

The bigger guitar-body instrument is a "guitalele" which I've re-strung as a 5-course nylon mandocello. It uses a pickup and pre-amp that I built and installed myself.

Last edited by ohnoitsalobo; Jul-05-2020 at 10:12am.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ohnoitsalobo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue in D

Our band (banjo, fiddle, guitar and double bass) did the Canon part as a processional (in D) for a wedding a couple of years ago. Then instead of the Gigue we immediately broke into Turkey Knob (Eddie Adcock). Everyone loved it!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Our band (banjo, fiddle, guitar and double bass) did the Canon part as a processional (in D) for a wedding a couple of years ago.
    Cool, xD
    My main gripe is how slow the Canon is usually played in most situations hahaha. After I heard the Academy of Ancient Music recording, literally any slow performance grates on my ears, like there's no life in it. Oh well :shrug:

5. The following members say thank you to ohnoitsalobo for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

1. If the Canon were not a beautiful piece of music, it would not be so popular.
    2. If the chord progression were not cool and useful , it would not be so prevalent.
    3. If the chord progression were not so prevalent, there would not be the occasional joke about it.

Just stating the obvious, I have a knack for that

Beautiful rendition, it was a joy to listen! Thanks for sharing.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Delightful - particularly the Gigue which I must admit I was unfamiliar with.

Thank you!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

9. The following members say thank you to Aaron Bohnen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bohnen View Post
    Delightful - particularly the Gigue which I must admit I was unfamiliar with.

Thank you!
    Agreed!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

11. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Well that fairly bounces along! I didn't know it was originally at this pace. I put a comparatively amateurish version on the forum last week at the more sedate pace, as an experiment arising from how plodding the canon can be, and my desire to add some pulse. I should just have added pace.

Almost all versions written down I have seen have it in 4/4 with 2 beats to every chord. I had filled out the plod with guitar arpeggios playing 2 notes for every beat, and the tremelo mandolin parts are playing 8 strokes per beat.

What now feels unusual about your version is not just the tempo but the lack of sustain on the 2 beat notes, which presumably were originally sustained on the violin.

The question I now have is, if this piece is played on mandolin at this up-tempo, is there any place in it for tremelo?

lol yep, it was never written so slow as it is commonly played. You can hear the difference in violin sustain in the Academy of Ancient Music recording that I linked, that's as close as you'll get to hearing it in its original form.

As for tremolo, I don't know - my tremolo is not as steady as I'd like, so I only use it if I absolutely have to. I didn't feel I needed to when playing at the "correct" speed. I used the original sheet music (IMSLP link).

Yep. I'll take the andante version. The molasses-in-winter tempo sounds like a dirge.

15. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post: