Thread: DolaGard question

Default DolaGard question

Hi all,
    I just got both a ToneGard & a DolaGard, the latter because it expressly said it's for an Eastman MDA815. The ToneGard slipped right on and made a night & day difference. The DolaGard doesn't seem to fit. The end leg is in a plane above the main part, and the back curve is sitting right on the vibrating part of the back. Seems like the side legs need to be opened, but that might leave the end leg dangling.

I'm getting in touch with the store I bought it from, but meanwhile, any voices of experience? I'm reluctant to start modifying it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DolaGuardShort.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	599.1 KB 
ID:	187204

Name:	DolaGuardEndLeg.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	690.5 KB 
ID:	187205

Default Re: DolaGard question

Bend the back leg that is in the lower pic so it is level with the guard. It is not in the correct place. I have had to bend these several times to fit instruments. Since you are only bending it to fit and not over and over it will be fine.
    Last edited by pops1; Jul-10-2020 at 8:21am.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks pops1, after speaking to the store, they assured me that careful bending would do the trick, and they'd take it back if not. I did bend the end leg level with the guard & opened up the side arms slightly. It's sitting on the instrument just right now.

Interesting. When I talked to Tony about getting one for my Eastman mandola he seemed to think it wouldn't work too well.

"The problem is the bass side hump is larger than the larger of the two Gards. So it's not optimal. Looks like the rim of the DolaGard would rest about 5/16" away from the edge of the back where the treble side is ok. So I don't know if it would end up killing the back or not. It depends on how the recurve was done."
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Looks like you're right, Drew, I think the first photo above shows that well.

After rebending the arms, I did get a good seating, but the pads are still shy of the bass side rim - hard to see in this photo:

Name:	DolaGard_Seated.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	187246

However, because the DolaGard rim is resting on the armrest clamp, only the circled pads are touching the rim, and they're all on the edges of the treble side:

Name:	DolaGard_ContactPoints.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	187247