Thread: My wife has stored it for years,no markings I can see

Default My wife has stored it for years,no markings I can see

My wife has had this mandolin for many years and we came across it as we were cleaning out our storage locker. Yes, one of those locker finds! I don't see any manufacturer name,markings or serial numbers inside the bowl. We were wondering if anyone knows what company made it and around what year it was manufactured? Thank you for checking it out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0297[1].jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	187236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0293[1].jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	780.9 KB 
ID:	187237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0295[1].jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	737.1 KB 
ID:	187238

2. The following members say thank you to bem for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: My wife has stored it for years,no markings I can see

I don't know much about the Bowl Backs, but they sure seem to be well made in this era. This one is in very good condition it appears. Many players and owners on the
    M.C. will have good insight. If I had it, I would string it up with a new set and play the life out of it! Nice photos.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

4. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

bem 

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I don't know much about the Bowl Backs, but they sure seem to be well made in this era. This one is in very good condition it appears. Many players and owners on the
    M.C. will have good insight. If I had it, I would string it up with a new set and play the life out of it! Nice photos.
    Thank you lflngpicker for your reply and comments. It is in pretty good shape, tucked away for many years and appreciating some fresh air.

Be sure to string it with extremely light strings. More will damage it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Thank pops1 for your recommendation about the strings.

My non-expert guesstimate is that it's an inexpensive US-made instrument, probably over 100 years old. It has a relatively low number of wide ribs or staves in the bowl; they're made of alternating woods -- I think maple and mahogany -- which was most common around the turn of the 20th century. It has little ornamentation and almost no binding around the top, other indications of an entry-level mandolin.

There seems to be some top damage, with what appear to be (repaired?) cracks on either side of the strings below the bridge. Without a side view, hard to evaluate the neck angle or string height. Bowl-backs are somewhat susceptible to top sinkage or deformation of the neck/body joint, which can pull the neck forward. If this one's been stored in a locker for a long time, without controlled humidity or temperature and under string tension, it could have sustained some damage from environmental factors.

You may never be able to attribute its manufacture -- though I'm sure some Cafe bowl-back mavens will have much more insight than I have. Large American factories, especially in the Chicago area, turned out many unlabeled instruments to be sold by brick-and-mortar and catalog dealers. These can sometimes be tentatively ID-ed by structural similarities to models in manufacturers' catalogs; others seem more "generic" and one just has to guess.

Awaiting one of the bowl-back experts to weigh in...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Four-string tailpieces are unusual on later vintage American mandolins but I have seen some Bohmann mandolins from the early period with that tailpiece. Circular soundhole is also unusual. I agree with Allen that it is a budget wholesale mandolin usually sold by the 1/2 dozen to stores to put their labels on (or not). My gut tells me that it was made pre-1900 but no clues as to who made it.

Best string set to start with would be GHS A240 ultralight set. They are reasonably priced and work quite nicely an are available in the US.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Does it really have a two-piece top instead of a bent top? The photos make it look as if the top's wood grain isn't continuous across both sides of the bend. If so, that's the first "bent top" that's actually a two-piece top that I've ever seen.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickbella For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    Does it really have a two-piece top instead of a bent top? The photos make it look as if the top's wood grain isn't continuous across both sides of the bend. If so, that's the first "bent top" that's actually a two-piece top that I've ever seen.
    I highly doubt that. Most likely amateur repair of the top with replacement part. Cant/crease is usually cut away slice along the length and the top is bent at the proper angle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

bem 

I agree with Rick. The bottom and the top sections are two different pieces of wood. Grain lines clearly are not lined up, esp on the treble side.
    Also, on bent tops, the cut is made on the inside of the top. This clearly shows a cut on the top side and not a very pretty one at that.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Jul-11-2020 at 6:41pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

18. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

bem 

So appreciative for the replies and comments. Just in case a few more photos would help? I will add them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0307[1].jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	471.8 KB 
ID:	187264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0308[1].jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	187263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0310[1].jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	187265  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0306[1].jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	362.5 KB 
ID:	187266  

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I agree with Rick. The bottom and the top sections are two different pieces of wood. Grain lines clearly are not lined up, esp on the treble side.
    Also, on bent tops, the cut is made on the inside of the top. This clearly shows a cut on the top side and not a very pretty one at that.
    Wow. That would be muy weirdioso if you are right, and my guess is that you are. But the mismatched grain suggests an alternative method.

Super strange and interesting looking mandolin. Overall proportions are delightfully odd.

Scratchplate and round sound hole make a wonderful pairing.

I only hope it strings up and plays nice and easy. If so, this would be one to play a lot.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

21. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

bem 

I haven't played a mandolin before but why not give it a try. What strings would anyone suggest?

Keep it on the light side for sure. GHS A240 ultralights are good place to start.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Those tuners suggest it is from the 19th century- possibly, even the 1880s. To my eye they look to be German although imports of metal parts for musical instruments from Germany was common and even continued into the 1960s with tailpieces. There was a discussion here not so long ago about a mandolin which from memory had a similar headstock and wooden pickguard which was probably at least 120 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Keep it on the light side for sure. GHS A240 ultralights are good place to start.
    Thank you Jim, I will look into those for sure.

Hi Nick, interesting info and thoughts you have there. I will try to look back for that post you were mentioning.