Thread: Favorite websites, books and YouTube channels

Default Favorite websites, books and YouTube channels

Greetings everyone. At age 71, I'm a true beginner on mandolin, with a lot of unfocused (but fun) time on guitar and banjo over the last 50 years. I'm really enjoying the mandolin over the past couple of months and am constantly looking for websites, books and YouTube channels that will help me along.

Can you help me with some ideas for growth? I'm currently following Mandolin Cafe and a few YouTube channels: Mando Lessons, Comandolin and Rock & Pop Mandolin. All these have a lot to contribute. Comandolin (Neal Doss) even came through with a lesson I requested in about a day and a half!

I have the Don Julin Mandolin for Dummies, a useful book, but with a few drawbacks. So what other avenues can you suggest for me to keep the learning going? If it matters, I have a cheap Amazon starter and a just-received Eastman MD504. Thanks in advance.

P.S. One final thought: I've found playing with backing tracks to be an incredible tool.

Jim

Default Re: Favorite websites, books and YouTube channels

Hey Jim, I have found that mandolessons is a great site...

https://www.mandolessons.com/

He offers backing tracks and tab.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

What kinds of music do you want to play? Do you read standard notation, tab, or learn best by ear?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    What kinds of music do you want to play? Do you read standard notation, tab, or learn best by ear?
    I don't read standard notation. Tab is fine, but I try not to depend on it. Learning by ear and watching videos is good for learning songs.

But I want to learn about technique and the instrument and other things beyond merely learning songs.

As for kinds of music, I'd say Americana sums it up. I'm not focused on bluegrass. Nothing to do with Americana, but the song I requested a lesson for was "Mr. Sandman."

Jim

Hi Jim, I didn’t play any instrument until picking up a mandolin in my mid 60s and it has been a steep learning curve which I am thoroughly enjoying. You therefore have a big advantage over me. I found nigelgatherer.com a good resource. He has some instructions on technique, but has lots of different styles of music to download free of charge with standard notation as well as tab.
    I thrashed around on my own for a year learning all kinds of bad habits until I found a mandolin teacher who has been absolutely invaluable in pointing me in the right direction.

6. The following members say thank you to Two left fingers for this post:

Hi Jim, I've found Simon Mayor's books useful. They have a nice balance between technique exercises/advice and tunes. They come with stereo backing tracks which have the melody on one channel and the harmony part on the other so you can choose which to play along with. https://mandolin.co.uk/shop/

I also like John Goodin's books, blog, website and Youtube channel. Although his tunes are written in standard notation, he provides recordings which could be used to learn the tunes by ear. https://somanytunes.blogspot.com/

8. The following members say thank you to Callum Murray for this post: