Thread: Tennessee Double Neck

Default Tennessee Double Neck

Does anyone know anything about a Tennessee double neck? It’s half harp and half mandolin. Acoustic/electric. I can’t seem to find any info online.

I have a photo but can’t seem to figure out how to attach it to this thread.

Default Re: Tennessee Double Neck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50C00C14-C752-4666-AD85-B491D62F1560.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	484.3 KB 
ID:	187295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50C00C14-C752-4666-AD85-B491D62F1560.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	484.3 KB 
ID:	187295

First impressions: laminate construction, not carved, imported Asian, novelty item
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

4. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

I agree with Jim, but if I saw it in a local shop I’d want to play it. Where is it and what’s the asking price?

My impression is that the bass/harp strings are too thin to be useful. (assuming it is to be played like a harp guitar.....)

Then again, how is it braced?

It’s actually a lot of fun to play. There were instructions in the case that said there was some work done on it such as adding 2 strap buttons, set up action, work on bridge and nut and placing the bridge location. I’m not really sure what it’s worth since I can’t find any info on it. I initially listed it on OfferUp for $300. Is that like crazy out of bounds for something like this?

I don’t have a ton of experience with it but I’ve found it sounds pretty nice to finger pick the harp stings intermixed with the mandolin.

I have this same instrument. I bought it from someone on Craigslist. When I got it, the mandolin neck was somewhat bowed and the action was too high if you went much up the neck, but I had the nut lowered and it brought it down so that it was much more playable. It also has a built in pickup so I can run it through effects.I decided to tune the upper harp strings to DADA and the mandolin strings to ADAD, so it's my DADA ADAD tuning! I think it works better in open tuning. The harp strings aren't low enough to be truly bass strings, but I use them almost like Chikari strings on a sitar. Check out this video.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigEric For This Useful Post: