Thread: playing partner{s]

Default playing partner{s]

I am new to the mandolin and hoping to find a playing partner in the Bloomington Indiana area to learn with and share ideas about mandolin playing.

2. The following members say thank you to SouthernINPicker for this post:

Default Re: playing partner{s]

Can be hard in these times of pandemics, but internet-based jam sessions are becoming a thing. I honestly haven't tried this yet (I will when time allows), but it seems popular. Here's a couple of sites:

https://www.jamkazam.com/

http://llcon.sourceforge.net/

I dearly miss the days of being able to just get together and play on a weekend... maybe this could make up for some of it.

Hope this helps.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

4. The following members say thank you to Erin M for this post:

Blog Entries

Baron Coliins-Hill of MandoLessons holds a monthly chat and jam live at 12 p.m. Pacific Time. Check him out here: http://https://www.youtube.com/c/MandoLessons
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Jul-16-2020 at 5:22pm. Reason: correcting link
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

It's hard to find people who like to jam because all of us old timers are dying off......

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

7. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

I have a bunch of friends who use JamKazam. FWIW, to make it work well, there are a few restrictions:

- can’t really handle more than about 4 or 5 people at once
    - you need to be wired in (Ethernet cable). WiFi is too variable and high latency to work.
    - can’t be super distant geographically, maybe 200 miles at most. The speed of light doesn’t care about our need to jam. also, more distance equals more pieces of network infrastructure, any one of which can be flaky. So it might work farther apart, but it’s more dicey. Also it doesn’t take much to get up to 50 millisecomds of lag, which is plenty to disrupt the jam.

Sorry, old engineer here, just thought folks might like the info. I have heard some good things if the above conditions are met. It certainly can be used in some circumstances, it’s juat not magic.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Schillace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramparte View Post

- Also it doesn’t take much to get up to 50 millisecomds of lag, which is plenty to disrupt the jam.

Sorry, old engineer here, just thought folks might like the info.
    That’s interesting, I was wondering if there’s some sort of software way that the person who’s ‘leading’ the jam has their signal time stamped? That way all of the different distances could be evened out. The session could play like on the hour plus two seconds.
    The leader wouldn’t be able to hear anyone else, except maybe the nearest people and the players wouldn't hear each other, but the end result recording would be great!
    Maybe Zoom already does this?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    It's hard to find people who like to jam because all of us old timers are dying off......

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the topic here, but your quote made me think about something:

When chatting with some friends who teach music, they sometimes point out how younger people, raised on iphones and video games, expect instant gratification; expect things to be always available on-demand. When they realize that learning an instrument takes a lot of hard work, they just give up, or at best switch over to electronic music. To some extent, this was always true, but it seems much worse now.

I've also noticed that I almost never see school students carrying instrument cases anymore. When I was in school (too long ago!), it was a common sight. Of course, schools nixing arts/music education doesn't help. One result: fewer people to jam with

I'm grateful to have had early exposure to music, both in and out of school.

Ah well, sorry - just had to get that out of my system.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

12. The following members say thank you to Erin M for this post:

Look up Lee.Mysliwiec.
    leemysliwiec@gmail.com
    Offered with permission by Lee.