Thread: Apitius J Model

Default Apitius J Model

Hi All
    I just wanted to share a image of My Apitius J Model lefty in the progress of
    being built. For those who are not familiar with Oliver Apitius and his fantastic
    instruments here is a sweety in the raw.

Keith ( I hope I posted this correct )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0032 900 X 600.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	187527  

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Keith Johnston For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Apitius J Model

They are very cool, my buddy has one.

But I have his Arrow, so I don’t feel bad
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I can't wait for mine to be finished and in my hands. I feel lucky to have got in line when I
    did.

Keith

Hey Keith -

Congrats on the forthcoming Apitius. I’ve got a Vanguard, and it’s easily the best mandolin I’ve ever owned. Outstanding choice in builders!! Enjoy!!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail  my ROSINE.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	187624 Here is my custom Rosine with Oliver's LS-Loar voicing, a mismatched top "wide grain on bass side and very fine on treble" I commissioned awhile back-maybe done in late September? I've never

had one made for me and all the great builders-I picked a name out of a hat so to speak. It will have a Black Cherry dark finish, Alessi pearl button tuners. among other goodies.

I'm really not one for new mandolins or instruments for that matter as I've had way too many and love all my 20's-30's Gibson's but the newer ones I've heard from Oliver spoke to me! So I'm sure I'll be thrilled with this build and it'll get passed onto my boy!
    Last edited by William Smith; Jul-27-2020 at 2:04am.

7. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

I checked my email from Oliver and he thinks mine will be done in November? Well worth the wait! Can you Apitius owners give me any clues on how well you love yours? I love so many newer builders so yes I put names in a hat from all I admire and Oliver won my pick-that's one way to do it right!

William I have been waiting for mine for almost a year. It will be done by the end of August. From everything I have heard the correct choice was Oliver. Not only
    is he a fantastic luther but is also a very nice man. It has been worth the wait.

Keith

Blog Entries

Yes Sir-there are so many one man shops and super high quality mandolins-I had a handful of builders wrote down and picked from a hat and his name came up-I've never had one of his builds so I was very excited! Not to mention all the ones of his I've heard over the years were truly impressive, so it was a GREAT pick for me, Oliver said mine is the first one he's doing with a mismatched top! I think I placed the order and slammed a down payment maybe in late Dec. early Jan., before his price increase and as a bonus he does the LS voicing so that was an extra bonus for me as I love that type of voice in a mandolin-not saying his old school/standard voicing is bad because even that really has it going on!

Hey Spud -
    I could talk for DAYS about how much I love mine, but a shorter version for now. Took the Vanguard a while to break in, and even though I thought it was perfect from the moment I first played it, it’s stunningly great now. It’s tone is sweet, but can easily be jacked up to drunken festival jam session with no trouble. I find it to be the most dynamic instrument I’ve ever had, and certainly ranks high among the hundreds I’ve played over my 30 years. Especially has quick attack, especially in the higher tones. It’s definitely still changing over a year later. Oh, and Oliver is so great...patient and kind, and WOW does he know his stuff! Just an awesome experience all around. So excited for what you’re soon to experience!!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Hi Mando

\Thanks for the info I knew Oliver was the correct pick as soon as I talked to him. I am very excited about my J model and the closer it gets
    to coming home the more excited I get. It will be good to finally get to play it. Glad to hear that you have fell in love with yours. I love his Apitius vine inlay.

Keith

Blog Entries

Here is mine, well in the stain, I just talked with Oliver the other day on the phone and he's doing the varnish and French polishing, all ready come mid-end September! He says its the best back he's had, I picked out all the wood, and such! I love my old F-5's but I do want something newer and for the price and quality well Oliver has it down!

Name:	DSC_0065 900 X 600  Rosine top.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	188110 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0068 900 X 600 Rosine back.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	188111

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Name:	DSC_0343 900 X 600 Apitius french polish.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	188139 Oliver just sent me this, a little French polishing, and then 30 days to cure and by the end of September "My B-day" I'll
    get to wrap my paws around this new Gal! Very exciting! Should be interesting as I said I picked out the woods from his stash
    His first one ever with a mismatched top, also a slip matched back, my neck profile, a traditional F-5 guard, James tailpiece
    and some very hard to get Alessi pearl button tuners! This is my first "boutique" mandolin I've had built to my specs! I think all a great choice! Oliver is a heck of a nice guy and phenomenal builder!

16. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: