Thread: Quarantine Collaboration - (and appreciation)

Default Quarantine Collaboration - (and appreciation)

hello mandolin lovers....

so here is a fun tale of 2 mandolins, a happy coincidence and a new pal.

Most of the regulars here will know of Don Grieser, his frequent supportive comments on the board, the sharing of his videos and links to his fine recording projects and his general membership in good standing on the Cafe'.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know him abit after I was fortunate enough to purchase a very fine Passernig A5 mandolin from him. I have been so taken with the tone of the instrument that I have been sending him little videos of tunes played on it - a fun way to geek out and share appreciation of the instrument with someone who knows it well....

anyway, the last one was a quick take of the tune "New Five Cent" (?Piece?)... I recorded on my Andriod phone so nothing fancy audio-wise.

I'm not a tech guy but Don is and look what he did with it.... pretty cool.
    Jammin' with a pal in New Mexico - from Iowa. Aptly named - Quarantine Collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Y3gsr0ZZQ

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Larry Mossman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Quarantine Collaboration - (and appreciation)

the rest of the story - in speaking with Don in early 2020 during the sale / purchase of the Passernig, come to find out that I have a really great Baird A4 that also use to belong to - you guessed it - Don Grieser. So now I have 2 mandolins that once resided in Don's care. What are the odds really..? I joked that I was more than willing to be the stopping point for instruments coming from his place in New Mexico (I wish)...

Don, how about the right of first refusal on that Heiden A5...? From my conversations and his many posts re: that instrument, I doubt that a sale of that one is going to happen anytime in the near future. What a great sounding mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baird and Passernig.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	187625

4. The following members say thank you to Larry Mossman for this post:

That’s a really nice collaboration! You both sound great-lovely tone and really creative melodic ideas. The pace suits the tune well and all the playing, rhythm, melody and harmony, is fresh and very enjoyable to listen to. Very well done and thanks for sharing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy B For This Useful Post:

Very cool! I really enjoyed that and nice story.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deblues For This Useful Post:

Larry, if you had all the mandos I sold over the years, you wouldn't have any room left in your house. You got 2 of the really good ones though. I really enjoy hearing the Passernig being played by you. There's a bit of a line for the Heiden but it's staying here as long as I can play it. Looking forward to the next tune you send. That was fun.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

10. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Blog Entries

I loved your duet played on your mandos! Great job. It is hard to line these up. We have been doing virtual worship band videos in this way for online services and it has been fun but the timing and the mix of the various vocals and instruments is hard to manage. All I have to do is listen to the click track and play my part and drop it in the dropbox. Someone else has the hard job of lining up the timing and mixing the levels. You guys did a great job of putting this in perfect time as though you are in the same room with a count off!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

A great story, a great new friendship, and great picking! Like Dan said, it's hard to believe you weren't playing together in the same place!

Sue

Thanks for all the nice comments. Music has a way of connecting us and I am so grateful for all the great folks and wonderful times I have had playing music over the years. There is something about traditional musicians of most any style - a willingness to extend a hand, welcome someone in, widen the circle in order to share the music.... I wonderful aspect that has built into it a sense of belonging to a community. This site is a perfect example of that for which I am grateful.

The technical part of this was all Don. He said there was a bit of “lining things up”, he used a nice new/used camera but more than that I can not say.

A long line for the Heiden ... not surprised. But I am glad for what I got (thx again D)...lots of abundance.
    They sure are fun to learn about and lust after ... but the playing is the best part.

Oh yeah, and I will miss Winfield this year.
    I was trying to talk Don into coming up but than this damn coronavirus etc, yadda yadda...
    Argh... L

Fun! That was very cool. Nice work guys

Awesome vidoe and story!

Passernigs are amazing instruments.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

17. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post: