Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Henry New Monroe Improvisation Course

Default Re: Chris Henry New Monroe Improvisation Course

Bumping this thread. I think we just finished Week 28 of the Monroe Improv Workshop Series. There are a few spots that have opened and Chris will be moving it to evening time on the East Coast as it has been during the day. We just got to learn from Dr. Richard Brown, which was a real treat. Had lots of guests including Peter Rowan, Mike Compton, and Lauren Price. I highly recommend this for anyone trying to step up their Monroe game or their ear training game. I cannot believe how much my ear and Monroe vocabulary have evolved in the past few months. Having played for almost 10 years I have been told time and again that I need to learn how to listen to actual breaks, slow them down and learn them note for note, just by listening and I am finally doing it.

Some deep dish Monroe here from Chris w/ Mike Compton and David McLaughlin !!
    Git it while its hot..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMdAZBdZH8k
    Thomas Quinn

This is an older thread, but wanted to weigh in. I just purchased and began Chris's Monroe Style Improv 1 course, and man it's great! As other's have said before, it is NOT a beginner mandolin course. You need to already have familiarity/comfort with scales, arpeggios, fluid 16th note picking at a decent tempo, Nashville number system etc...but if you're comfortable with those things already and are looking for tools/methodology to decode Monroe's vocabulary and immediately incorporate those tools into your playing, this course is GOLD. He doesn't just show you a Monroe style break with no context, he explains what techniques Monroe is using, so you can take those bits and apply them to your own breaks and improvisations. I've already spent a couple days just working through the first video (which is worth the price of the course alone!), and I'm really excited to keep going. I think Chris has found a great way to teach this style, and I'm really glad to have found it! We are lucky to have him as a resource! And man, he's a great picker!

Quote Originally Posted by Zmando85 View Post
    This is an older thread, but wanted to weigh in. I just purchased and began Chris's Monroe Style Improv 1 course, and man it's great! As other's have said before, it is NOT a beginner mandolin course. You need to already have familiarity/comfort with scales, arpeggios, fluid 16th note picking at a decent tempo, Nashville number system etc...but if you're comfortable with those things already and are looking for tools/methodology to decode Monroe's vocabulary and immediately incorporate those tools into your playing, this course is GOLD. He doesn't just show you a Monroe style break with no context, he explains what techniques Monroe is using, so you can take those bits and apply them to your own breaks and improvisations. I've already spent a couple days just working through the first video (which is worth the price of the course alone!), and I'm really excited to keep going. I think Chris has found a great way to teach this style, and I'm really glad to have found it! We are lucky to have him as a resource! And man, he's a great picker!
    Hey Z,

I am not quite intermediate, nor am I a beginner. I can play scales, arpeggios, tremolo, and chop chords. I am looking for something that can get me beyond where I am, as I feel like I have hit a plateau and am not progressing. Do you think this would be something that someone like me could handle, even if it takes longer to get the concept?
    Our Life Has Gone To Shed
    [url="https://www.instagram.com/ourlifehasgonetoshed/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dstretch View Post
    Hey Z,

I am not quite intermediate, nor am I a beginner. I can play scales, arpeggios, tremolo, and chop chords. I am looking for something that can get me beyond where I am, as I feel like I have hit a plateau and am not progressing. Do you think this would be something that someone like me could handle, even if it takes longer to get the concept?
    This thread has alot of good content, there are some early posts by Gina and she gives a very good review of these videos. Get the app Audiostretch or any other video slowdowner because Chris goes thru some of this very quickly. The first video alone will take time to get thru.

The live wks are closing in on #100 soon, Think about attending one and see what you think. If you’re looking for Monroe-style studies this is a great resource.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I'd 2nd trying 1 of the live sessions. There is a range of abilities from child prodigy to beginner and everything in between but everyone that seems to regularly attend seems to jump a rung. With the live sessions you get a 30 minute lesson over zoom included from Christopher along feedback in the live session. He's also pretty generous with sharing some of the introductory materials if you ask. It is more interactive then the videos, which are great, but you are on your own with the material unless you get a lesson from Christopher. The next session is I Saw The Light and Louisville Breakdown in a little less than 3 weeks, so plenty of time to start working on the material. (NFI, just a satisfied customer)

8. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post: