Thread: Dunlop 500 .96mm

Default Dunlop 500 .96mm

I found a huge stash of these in my dad’s stuff, and they’re excellent for mandolin. The tone is on the dark side, and there’s just enough flex that the pick noise is almost nonexistent. Plus, the highly polished delrin sticks to my fingers very well.

As a guy who has a tin full of BlueChips, I can’t recommend this cheapo pick enough.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Dunlop 500 .96mm

Must try those. I normally go with the green Dunlop .88s. My preferred compromise, just the slightest bit of give. They do all wear on the point though. Just recently read someone or other who swears that all mando players use a rounded corner of their pick, not the point. Wha? I’m sure that’s not the only thing I’ve been doing wrong for 40 years. Ha.

I used to use the rounded corners for a long time, but am using a pointed pick now. Like the sound on the G string better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adam Steffey uses the pointed end, as well. I kept trying the corners since so many people get a good result from that, but the point works better. Sure makes stuff like cross picking easier, as well.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I tend to "miss" sometimes with the rounded picks, and using corners.

Like a baseball player.

"Strike one."
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I tried the rounded picks repeatedly and didn't care for them. I even bought a BlueChip with the "1R" just in case... nope.

My current fav is the Wegen TF140
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

different strokes for different folks
    Last edited by CBFrench; Aug-11-2020 at 12:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I found a huge stash of these in my dad’s stuff, and they’re excellent for mandolin. The tone is on the dark side, and there’s just enough flex that the pick noise is almost nonexistent. Plus, the highly polished delrin sticks to my fingers very well.

As a guy who has a tin full of BlueChips, I can’t recommend this cheapo pick enough.
    Just bought some based on your recommendation. They will be here in a few days.

I haven't added to "The Pick Museum" in quite a while so I'm looking forward to it.

Pro Plec 1.5 BTW are awesome.

9. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

So what do these look like? I looked on Amazon, and saw a couple different picks that seemed to fit the description?

Sue

12. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

Turns out I have one of those picks, I found it on the ground a couple months ago when taking a walk

I hadn't tried it yet though, as I was thinking, "This is not a mandolin pick". Narrow minded thinking, I see now

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post

These are my fav as well.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

15. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post
    Just bought some based on your recommendation. They will be here in a few days.

I haven't added to "The Pick Museum" in quite a while so I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed on the Pro Plecs. If you don’t like the Dunlops, hit me up and I’ll buy them from you.

17. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Instruments and players are different. I have these and most every brand, BC’s on down the line. I’ve spend all day laying them out and going from one to the other and keep going back to my teardrop 1.5mm VPicks for mandolin, acoustic and electric and have always used the shoulders I can't deal with the point. Some folks claim they click I don’t hear it no more than any other. I don’t like the thin sound I get from a thin pick. The 1.5 hits the spot for me and I play a lot with just my thumb anyways and I don’t use anything just because some musical celebrity uses it.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Aug-12-2020 at 7:11pm. Reason: spelling

Might give these Dunlops a try. Have been using Primetone .96 and 1.0 smooth for a while now. Seem to work well on my modern mandolins. Pretty surprising because I was fairly confirmed BC user for many years. Maybe my ears are tired of them and want something new?

Every once in a while will try a thick pick and then after a few minutes remember why I don't like them. Maybe if I concentrated on one for a while I could pull better volume and tone out of it. But we're all different. About a decade ago gave a friend 3 Wegen mando picks. He still uses them as his main pick. And he gets a great sound out of his Clark F.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723