Thread: Red Maple Violin Shop Mandolins

Default Red Maple Violin Shop Mandolins

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker and finally felt I should make an actual account. I recently acquired two handmade mandolins from my great aunt. The shop that made them was called Red Maple Violin Shop and located in Pekin, Indiana. The owner/luthier, Larry Hopkins, has unfortunately passed away in the last few years. I have attached a picture of them in their case. Hopefully someone here knows at least a little something about them. I can also take better/more in-depth photos if possible.

EDIT:
    I found an archived version of the old website that gives a little more information on them: https://web.archive.org/web/20100409...dex.php?type=4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7051.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	187733  

Default Re: Red Maple Violin Shop Mandolins

Here's an older MC thread on Larry Hopkins, but there isn't much there: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...kins-mandolins

There is a little bit of information here: https://traditionalarts.indiana.edu/...lders-2008.pdf

Hi! I was lucky enough to have been friends with Larry. He made beautiful instruments. I have a fiddle and a mandolin made by him.

I actually have #56 with the rose painted on it😊 and the 300 yr old pine top.

Quote Originally Posted by rooloo22 View Post
    I actually have #56 with the rose painted on it😊 and the 300 yr old pine top.
    That is awesome. I wish I could find out more information about my mandolins, but it seems to have become a fruitless endeavor. His widow thinks she misplaced his book with his mandolin specifications and orders.

May I ask who your great aunt was? Did she jam with Larry at the fiddle shop?
    What numbers are your mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by rooloo22 View Post
    May I ask who your great aunt was? Did she jam with Larry at the fiddle shop?
    What numbers are your mandolin?
    My great aunt got the mandolins from my grandpa, Martin Kennedy. She didn't play, but he did. I will have to double check the numbers. I don't believe I have a picture on my phone.

How do they sound?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Loud and clear, I think they play beautifully.