Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No motivation

Default Re: No motivation

My today's motivation is music, any genre that interest me or rather one that will take me where I wanna go. Today I'm working thru my Mandolin Orange playlist of over 80 tunes from acoustic to mandolin because I really like Andrews playing and don't know of anyone near me with similar interest so I just practice and play at home. Tomorrow who knows, it could be Count Basie to Bob Wills to Percy Mayfield etc or working in the yard but then I'm a hermit/introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybikes View Post
    I’ve lost all motivation to practice or learn new tunes.
    No more jams due to the pandemic.
    The great 48 is now canceled. It was the greatest jam scene!
    All the festivals are cancelled.
    I don’t preform live anymore.
    I noodle around aimlessly for maybe 20 minutes in the evening.
    There is no point learning anything new because there is no one to share it with.
    Help me! I’m a lost soul.
    I hear you brother. All my spring and summer gigs were cancelled. All local music has been cancelled for the most part. I too not only don't feel like playing music, but don't even care to listen to it much these days. Tried some of those virtual performances, but usually lasted about 5 minutes before they bored me to death. Just not the same, sorry. I think I may just retire from the music biz.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

We're in Nevada county CA which has outdoor dining but not indoor.
    We have gigs every weekend through Sept at a few venues with patios. Find some of those!

Regardless, I play because it's what I do. There are a million + tunes, sonatas, polkas, tangos, et al to discover. And it is SO easy these days with the internet.

Being sequestered isn't a whole lot different than my usual routine., to be honest!

Billy
    On YouTube,
    The Duo Lynx
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

We have been getting together with a few folks at a time and playing with social distancing on our patios and decks. Of course, here in the northeast when the weather gets colder it will be a lot harder. There are no musicians in Santa Barbara to play with? Frankly I prefer smaller jams rather than mass once. The OT jam I lead at a local farm has been cancelled until further notice.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    It is OK to take some time off.

Try some yard work or planting flowers. It is fun to watch stuff grow.....
    I've spent as much - or more - time gardening as playing music lately.

It's also the issue of playing music that needs a group, even a duo, to make it feel "right". That has been a real problem for me the last few months.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Hang in there! Been lots of ups and downs with all that is going on - probably more down than up for most folks. Even though it’s been a while now, this isn’t going to last forever. Though it feels like it sometimes. Take the opportunity to try something different! I keep on telling myself I should make another attempt at the fiddle, but I don’t those stuck inside with me would appreciate too much!

Im happy for those playing more and finding virtual outlets. I must say I feel more like the OP and the many similar posts. And not to ruminate or dwell in self pity, but it does provide comfort hearing from others who feel the same. I think its normal. And yes, we will get through it and be more appreciative for it some day. Meanwhile, I find it helpful to slowly push myself forcing myself to practice anything for 15 minutes just to keep some skills up even when it feels pointless. I switched up and started playing electric guitar after a 10 year hiatus and that was fun.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

It's been tough with no gigs and I am thankful for the few small jams lately. First 6 weeks I cut wood every day. I burn wood for heat and have not ever had so much as now. Between gigs and other commitments it was hard to get enough for the winter, now I am almost 3 years out. Trying to get projects done and wish I had more energy, but getting some done. I live alone in the country so don't see many folks all winter, miss the summer gigs and not seeing many folks this summer will make the winter a long winter, but hey if you don't like yourself you can't like anyone else so I guess it's good practice. Stay safe everyone and we'll get thru this eventually.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Almost everyone I know has the same malaise going. It's super hard to get motivated.

One thing I did the other day was pull out my old Fender Precision and played along with 'Dark Side Of The Moon.'

It was wonderful....
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

It is tough, but hopefully this will pass. Was in a very similar situation. With no jams or shows to either play or attend, it can be tough. Like others have said, find another outlet to help take your mind off of it. I've been riding my bicycle more this year than the past 3 years combined. And that's even without being able to bike commute to work.

But things will eventually get better. Both my bands have been doing occasional practices, and some jams are starting back up in person for the rest of the summer/fall. Am not trying to think ahead to what winter will bring. Just trying to focus on the now and be more content. After all, we still have our health and ability to play music.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Sturgis is having a bunch of live bands this weekend.

We had a jam session last weekend at a secret location.

Live music is BACK !

Ya just gotta know where to look.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

If you're hungry for an audience, you could try solo busking, which can be done with proper distancing. Now, I say but not do because I'n not in an area where busking is, um, favored or appreciated without a 30-40 mile drive, and I'm not the most confident fella.

But the suggestion above about reaching out for some professional help is a good one. I did it for the first time during this pandemic and it really did help. I thought things were going well (stayed busy, healthy, worked, picked up mandolin after 40yrs of guitar), but they weren't going as well as I'd thought.

Don't let the stigma hold you back. After all, you're a musician. How many musicians do you know that never dealt with some sort of mental cold or flu at one time or another...or always?

I totally can relate. My approach was to focus on something completely different musically - stepping away from bluegrass and mando and focusing on guitar. I realized I had some guilt or what not from not wanting to play my usual fiddle tune, bluegrass stuff. I guess I identified too much as a "bluegrass guy". Now I'm working on lessons at justinguitar.com and having a blast jamming out to Neil Young, Bill Withers, and the Arctic Monkeys (who I never had heard of.....)

Besides having fun, I'm noticing my right hand/arm is looser, I can strum and pick more fluidly, and I'm smiling a lot more
    mtndan

2013 Weber Yellowstone HT A Wide Neck
    2009 5 string JL Smith e-mando
    2002 Martin 000-15M

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve lost all motivation to practice or learn new tunes.
    No more jams due to the pandemic.
    The great 48 is now canceled. It was the greatest jam scene!
    All the festivals are cancelled.
    I don’t preform live anymore.
    I noodle around aimlessly for maybe 20 minutes in the evening.

There is no point learning anything new because there is no one to share it with. Help me! I’m a lost soul.
    Man. Do I ever understand. I've been considering selling my two best, of three mandolins, because I just don't play enough anymore where I feel I deserve two, top quality instruments. I know how you feel.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    There are many benefits of such an existential crisis. Privilege is blinding.

The steady draining of immanent meaning from objects clears the way for some marvelous new totalization, so that in a world depleted of significance and subjectivity, myth can furnish just those ordering, reductive schemas necessary to elicit unity from chaos (Eagleton, Ideology of the Aesthetic)
    What? Non-fifty-cent translation please...

And you're going to drop the P-word here? You're poking at the second posting guideline there.

18. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

I think people like to play for different reasons. For some people it is their main focus in life. For other people it is an escape, a way to relax from other activities. For the former, they should think all this isolation is great, more chance to play. For the latter, not having something to relax from kind of takes some of the attraction out of it. That's what I am going through anyway.

20. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    What? Non-fifty-cent translation please...

And you're going to drop the P-word here? You're poking at the second posting guideline there.
    My post was intended to be positive, helpful. I apologize if I offended you. I'm suggesting humans look, in this time, at their myths. Of course, I would advocate for this any time. Crisis/trauma is a ferile time for mythmaking/adjusting, etc. Anyway, just passing on what works for me.

Of course, we're all impacted by this. I'm greatly supportive. I also feel it's a particularly important time for artists (again, pertaining to above). I encourage consideration of the arts, particularly, as a productive coping strategy (perhaps such as your preference to play mndln music with others) that could be helpful to those open to artistic activity for solace, inspiration..

*So I say to OP, keep working!
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-05-2020 at 5:21pm.

When the going gets tuff, the tuff learn another instrument. I started messing around with the four fat strings on my guitar. This lead to me getting a cheap bass. (the inst. not the fish) Make a loop with the guitar, and play along. Change key, make another loop, play along. Etc., etc. Got positive reviews at ye olde jam! All is good. Good enough.

I’ve lost all motivation...
    There is no point learning anything new because there is no one to share it with.
    Help me! I’m a lost soul.
    It sounds like you miss the social aspect of music. I think most people do, especially
    if they perform. Its a situation where you can only do part of the total experience. I've been working on musicianship, writing music, researching, "practical" theory. Wildly divergent stuff, but all planned and done. Never grabbing the instrument to noodle or play what I already know. Too depressing. Its only 2 hours a day, for 6 months but that's 360 hours. I recommend The Beatles as Musicians books, Noam Pikelny, Persian music, and Peter Green. Also digging to find songs to sing...

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    getting a cheap bass. (the inst. not the fish)
    Careful. That could be a real mess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a9b4fcd423da9ca08172d8882210598c.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	187801

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Glassman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    When the going gets tuff, the tuff learn another instrument. I started messing around with the four fat strings on my guitar. This lead to me getting a cheap bass. (the inst. not the fish) Make a loop with the guitar, and play along. Change key, make another loop, play along. Etc., etc. Got positive reviews at ye olde jam! All is good. Good enough.
    I agree with trying another instrument. I am glad you had good luck with bass, but that was one I tried and it was a disaster for me. I went deep too. Had two decent basses, an Acoustic 100 watt amp and I played it at church for a year. Having played fretted instruments for decades, I was probably better at it than I felt like I was but it always felt clumsy and I just never felt I understood the bass role as well as I should. I really appreciate good bass players and feel I can understand what they are doing, but doing it myself always seem a bit confusing. Another instrument-bomb I had was the Irish bodhran. I got instructional materials and recordings and went to a couple of workshops, but I always had that "trained monkey" feel playing it.

The instruments I did take to outside of guitar and mandolin were harmonica and lap dulcimer. I really felt I could see where I was going with those and I still play them. I guess what I'm saying is that it's funny how it's different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    It sounds like you miss the social aspect of music. I think most people do, especially
    if they perform.
    We are social animals, this is not normal, nor is it healthy.

That's why people are pushing back.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I've done one 3 person jam and that's it since March.
    I have pretty much lost interest in trying to do any gigs or the jams here even if they could be outdoors. They just aren't exciting me and haven't been for a while anyway. The hiatus has been a welcome break actually on that. If my local jams were more interesting, I would probably miss it more, though I do miss the people.

I've been taking the opportunity to learn lots of new Dawg tunes, some swing, some choro, even some Bach to shake things up.
    Being in classes on ArtistWorks, Peghead Nation and with Matt Flinner have been really helpful. Not only for the education but just for the sense of community and encouragement.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

29. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It’s tough. And there are some really great suggestions.

May I suggest doing one of two approaches.

1) go back to the music that first really excited you - doesn’t matter what it was. Find that buzz you used to have when you put that music on.

2) find something new. Even if you say ‘I’ve heard of the work of (Huey Lewis and the news, John Schofield, the remote, Linda Ronstadt, Allan holdsworth, stockhausen, Telemann, whomever) and dig them out. See what happens.

It may be that your musical journey has finished or paused. That’s ok too.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I was invited to join the worship band at church for this coming Sunday and rehearsal was on Tuesday night. Enjoyed dinner, chatting and playing with other musicians for the first time in a long time

Also, my local jam opened back up at the beginning of July, but I promised wifey that I'd wait til August to go (also on Tuesday nights) and went to that AFTER worship band rehearsal.

While band rehearsal at the church was a very controlled environment, with the church's concern for liabilities and following guidelines (temp checks, masks and social distancing); the jam was very much the opposite; outside and more relaxed and no masks (more normal). Both were a good time and it felt great to play with other people, but very different environments. Must've been just being around people that I haven't seen regularly for a long time, but both scenarios just felt weird. Upside though is I was able to talk the worship leader into doing a bluegrass version of one of the 2 songs we will be doing in service on Sunday!

I feel the pain of the OP, but I think that having August to look forward to motivated me to keep up my chops and even learn some new stuff. I've also filled pandemic time with the excitement of building my first instrument.

Oh, and someone else invented all the myths that make up the schema that I am made to abide by, does that count?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous