Thread: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

Question Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

Hey all, first post, happy to be here! I've played guitar for 10 years, Bouzouki for 4 months, and have decided I ought to add a Mando to that collection. As I'm big into Irish Trad music, I have a very strong liking for the style of mandolin played by Andy Irvine in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo) video. I have read the comments on the video and done research, and it seems that this particular instrument is a Gibson A-1. It sounds just lovely, and I'm just here both to confirm with you fellas that it is in fact an A-1, and whether or not one of these would be a good choice (they are in my budget) as a mandolin for Celtic and Scottish music, as that's what I plan to play. These tick all the boxes I like, appearance, sound (having listened to quite a few different samples of them), and vintage mojo. Would they be a good choice, or would I be better served to finding an alternative?

2. The following members say thank you to IrishPicker10 for this post:

Default Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

I would say that it is an A-1. I have one and I highly recommend it for your style.
    I would also recommend to be patient and a bit cautious when buying one. You’re dealing with a hundred year old instrument that could possibly have some issues. No worries though, there are plenty of good ones out there!

4. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I would say that it is an A-1. I have one and I highly recommend it for your style.
    I would also recommend to be patient and a bit cautious when buying one. You’re dealing with a hundred year old instrument that could possibly have some issues. No worries though, there are plenty of good ones out there!
    Thanks for the reply! I see a lot of them on Reverb and the Bay for around $1400-1800, is that a good price or should I look for ones around $1200, if i can find them?

Patience is the key word. I found mine for under 1k. I’m not an expert in valuations, but there’s a lot of factors that go into pricing a vintage instrument. I’m sure if you hold tight for the night, others will give you more or better advice tomorrow.

It's a style A from before 1917, when they started staining them brown. An A1 would have the Gibson logo in pearl on the peghead.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Oh, I have plenty of time, not in a rush! Lol, thank you for your help! And under 1k, that's great!

Oops! I guess I have an A! No pearl on my headstock. I'm pretty sure mine is from 1912.

Looks to be an earlier Gibson A. You should be able to find one of those (or an A Jr.) if you look enough. An A Jr. is even more plain looking than the regular A. But they should sound very similar. But I'm biased as I still have and play an A Jr. and had an A for a while.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

12. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Blog Entries

I just received a 1921 plain A in a swap deal with a very wide grain top-Sheraton brown and looks to be all original, neck looks great, no issues, original bridge is gone but I'll put a Loar style adjustable on, I have to set her up as the guy I got it from said he's had since 1989 and many came and went including the coveted snakeheads but this was way better? I'm into the F-hole focus and power so I will more than likely post it? All depending on how I like it as I'm not a fan of the ovals if they are too tubby-bass ya know?

Thanks for that old video.

Very cool !
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

15. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

I assume that’s also a very young looking Paul Brady playing his Yamaha FG-180 - those wre the days!

17. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

In my quest to help the OP I forgot to mention what a great video this is. Andy Irvine, Paul Brady, and I believe that’s Donal Lunny on bouzouki. Good stuff!

And, note Irving's unashamed use of a capo.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

20. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I assume that’s also a very young looking Paul Brady playing his Yamaha FG-180 - those wre the days!
    Brady is my personal guitar hero, I've spent hours learning Arthur McBride, Mary And The Soldier, etc, and while I can get through them in his style, they sound like doo-doo compared to his versions; the man NEVER makes a single mistake, I swear it! He's such a great player, and I wish he was more widely known and appreciated. Glad to see someone mention him on here!! P.S. I own an Fg-180 myself because of him, great guitars!

22. The following members say thank you to IrishPicker10 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    In my quest to help the OP I forgot to mention what a great video this is. Andy Irvine, Paul Brady, and I believe that’s Donal Lunny on bouzouki. Good stuff!

Steve, thank you for sharing that! That's a fantastic video of one of the best groups (imo) to do Irish Trad in the past century. All masters of their isntruments, and all humble and unpretentious! Maybe someday I'll be able to pick that one as good as Andy... aha

24. The following members say thank you to IrishPicker10 for this post:

Hey all, thanks for the help and everything you've shared! I ended up acquiring a 1935 Martin A-Style, and after getting acquainted with it, it seems to be fantastic for my needs and styles! Will post about it shortly!

26. The following members say thank you to IrishPicker10 for this post: