Thread: Binding alternative

Default Binding alternative

I have been using celluloid binding for years, but lately because of the cost and I really believe a decrease in quality, I'm looking for an alternative. I have tried using ABS and laminating my own, but that didn't work out too well.
    I was just wondering if anyone has found a better substitute. Too bad there isn't a flexible W/B/W binding out there like Zip Flex.
    Thanks,

Default Re: Binding alternative

Stefan, there’s a lot of thread here about binding materials, and lots of experience. Just do a search. The consensus seems to be celluloid, especially for tight curves. I’m not a builder, but get into materials issues more than most, and if you have the interest, experimenting with (mostly plastics) could help everyone. There are many formable plastics available in both shapes and bulk. Ability to thermoform is desirable, and how the material takes glues that also don’t damage wood finishes.
    McMaster Carr’s online catalog is always a good place to start. For years, I was lucky enough to work with a polymer chemist who knew this stuff straight out.